NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water pump
    Posted: April-20-2007 at 10:09am
Be sure that you didn't get the pump installed upside down. I did that once on mine as the inlet and outlet were not marked before removing it and the pump was installed 180' out. It wasn't idiot proof but I have since marked it.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 11:13pm
Sounds like it's running a bit hot.

Just kiddin with ya
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 9:31pm
Ya, I checked it and it seems ok. I did not take the whole thing apart but it should be alright. I ran the boat for about 20 minutes later on in the day and the temperature was fine. check out the quick videos of how my sounds

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0NV34cMPJrU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qeGFrh5jaNM
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 5:36pm
Make sure your fake a lake is seated properly under the fresh water intake grate. If you have a strainer- look in the strainer while running on the fake- you should see water in there. If you dont' see water in there- adjust the fake.
Your pump should not be smokin. If it was, you may have toasted your impeller. Recommend taking it apart and checking it- you don't want to waste a day on the lake with an overheating boat.keep a spare with you too.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 3:26pm
The back of the pump should be as cool as the water running through it.
Tim D
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2007 at 3:00pm
On the same topic of the water pump, I am wondering how hot the raw water pump should get? Mine was smoking when i was doing a fake-a-lake test today. How much water pressure should be coming out of the hose?
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 11:30pm
Heath- had the same issue- see post about thermostat.
Munday hit the nail on the head.
Air leak via the bypass was the culprit- Block it off at the bottom and at the stat housing and get back on the lake.
-Brad
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 12:51pm
If there is any air leak it won't draw,also I remember that its double key drive on empellor
maybe you lost one on assembly seems like those old dual impellor pump were a little hard to assemble.

Good luck Munday
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 11:12am
thank you...i really appreciate anyone's help. I have the manual for the engine...it is a 318 poly with the log style manifolds. I would really like to talk to someone maybe over the phone about it if that would be possible. I am having other problems also. I hooked a hose to the intake hoses and forced water through it. One side the engine is heating up much quicker than the other. You can't even hold your hand on one side... but the other side is cool. I am almost possitive i have the hoses hooked up correctly, but then again this is my first boat and i am not a mechanic by any means.
'cuda
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 10:07am
Heath,

Just a couple of questions that come to my mind, I've got an LM 318 in my boat.

Was the pump working ok before changing impellers? Do you know if the hoses are routed correctly? When the pump was put back on did the port and starboard side hoses get back on the correct pump inlets.

Hopefully Reidp or one of the guys with Chryslers in their Barracudas will chime in. If not I've got a LM 318 engine manual that may provide some help.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 12:06am
i jsut put mew impellers in the pump (sherwood dual pocket pump, chrysler 318). I used two fake-alakes. Started the engine and was not getting any water in the pump(pulled the hoses to see if it would prime, and got nothing.) Why will my pump not pull any water in?
'cuda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic