Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick Oil Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick Oil Question
    Posted: July-26-2007 at 4:14pm
Sounds cool. Will have to check it out sometime. Thanks for the info.
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:49pm
I am not positive on an Indian Reservation I say, I do know it is free, and no one bothers you, so take it for what you will
1968 Mustang 318 CM
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:28pm
Yes, if you get a chance someday, Lemon is worth visiting. Let me know if you ever make it there.

Indian reservation??? Curious about that, my wife is NA, and we're not aware of any in that area.
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:46pm
Nice, I have seen his place numerous times on my way out there. We actually discovered a very unique camping area right off 46 there on an Indian Reservation. It is about 200 yards long in a lagoon with large slate rock to fish,sunbathe, etc. on each side, beautiful and free if you enjoy camping. Always nice to meet people from IN. Unfortunately for us we live in the northern which doesn't even compare to the difference in the south. We will have to check out Lemon.....Monroe is nice but with my boat the waves can destroy you if your not careful!
1968 Mustang 318 CM
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 7:20pm
IU for me too. Before you were born!! Not at Monroe much, especially weekends, extra especially on holidays! Lemon is much more laid back. Wave at J Mellencamp as you go by! He's been in my boat...with the previous owner.
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 2:38pm
Close to my alma mater...... IU!! We will be down on Monroe for Labor Day if the waves don't crush us , maybe we will bump into you.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 2:09pm
We're in Brown County. Boat on Lake Lemon. My wife used to spend time on James years ago. She has fond memories. Never been on it myself. I'm sure you're going to love the boat! Enjoy.
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 1:51pm
I am on the Northeast end of Fort Wayne. Typically on the James chain but make it to Hamilton and Clear on occasion. I will be up on Clear this weekend for some wakeboarding, skiing, etc. And yourself?
1968 Mustang 318 CM
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 1:47pm
Spievy,

Where are you in IN? Where do you boat?

Walt
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 1:37pm
My valve cover reads oil with an MS rating and that's it. I am getting ready to do an oil change this weekend, so it sounds like I have a few options. I have the mindset that changing frequently and checking regularly eliminates a lot of worries in itself. I am in Indiana so we are moderate temps I am guessing the 15W40 is the ticket unless I hear otherwise. Thanks for everyone's insight.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 1:08am
I am in the Mid-Atlantic (DC area) and I use Shell Rotella-T 15w40. No problems so far, but I have read others in hotter climates running a straight weight oil. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 12:28am
what oil are you guys with the older SN's (mine an '81 351 pcm) using? i guess it may depend on where you are at (me in southwest GA). I see on my original valve cover to run 10w30. that is what i have always run in all my vehicles and now the boat.
bill
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 6:49pm
I've had good luck with Valvoline Racing conventional 20W50 in 2 engines, my '63 Buick V6 and a '75 455 Olds. I used to run 10W30 in the '63 moved to the heavier blend a few years ago.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:48pm
Speivy, Any reference you find on oil recomendations may be coming from the good old days of straight weight oil. Discount that and go with a multi vis like Tim has recommended. What is good for present day engines with the multi viscosity is good for the old engines as well. I run 10W-30 in my 1954. You can go with the 15-40 diesel like Tim.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:11pm
Im not too familiar with Chryslers, but is it safe to assume the 318 of that vintage is a flat tappet motor? If it is, stick with Shell Rotella-T or Valvoline Racing conventional motor oils. People here have had luck running all different weights, from straight 30w and 40w, to blends like 10w30, 15w40 and 20w50. Climate may also play a part in your selection (the hotter the temps, the thicker the oil). Personally, I run Rotella 15w40 in my 351w.
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:56pm
I have done some searching and haven't really found a solid answer on the best type of oil for my 318. The previous owner just used 10W30. I am guessing that is not the recommended oil. I am guessing a straight 30 weight? Any suggestions?
1968 Mustang 318 CM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic