NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

did I hurt my packing gland? need quick

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: did I hurt my packing gland? need quick
    Posted: October-21-2007 at 1:59pm
I took it out last night and it didnt seem to leak at all, bilge was really dry. I forgot to feel while we were on the water if it was heating up though. I did back off the nut in hopes of expanding back to normal size anyway and I think it did. I will have to check it out again next time I go out.
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2007 at 12:27pm
Tr,you could go to a dripless since you have to remove the coupling anyway, then you never have to worry again
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2007 at 2:31pm
I want able to bottom it out. It still had about 3/4" of threads left. I was just wondering if I back it out, will it be resiliant enough to expand and go back to normal or did I kill it by squishing it? It can be a winter project, but I still have about 2 useful dayse of riding left, today being one of them (I hate minnesota)

I dont want to replace it if I dont have to thats why I wanted to know if I hurt it enough to replace it.
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2007 at 2:22pm
If you were able to bottom it out your packing was toast to begin with. If it just tightened down on the packing your probably ok. I would order up some goretex packing and spend the hour to replace it if you dont know first hand the condition it is in.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2007 at 2:15pm
I looked up the proceture and got nuts mixed up because the manual I looked in didnt have names on them and my boat was way loose and didnt match the drawing so I ended up tightening the packing nut with a wrench until it was tight. I realized the rubber through hull piece was bacically locked to the shaft because of that. I realized my mistake and backed it off all the way then went hand tight with it then set the jam nut.

My questions is did I hurt it or di I need to repack it or can I fix it if I screwed it up? I felt dumb after I did it but I have never had to do this before.
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic