Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Craigslist... Buehler jet..project

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
thunderboy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderboy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Craigslist... Buehler jet..project
    Posted: April-09-2011 at 3:04pm
Hey is anybody that was talkin about the turbocrafts a couple years ago still out there.    Tom
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2007 at 10:35am

My friend just happened into the boat and since has become quit interested (he bought another Bueller in some what better condition). He has spoken with one of the Buehler family members and has researched the hull numbers to try and determine if this boat was used on Colorado River expedition. His 1959 (I think) turbocraft has a v-8, in production specs Bueller only list v-6's for that year model. This and our location (Indy area) lead him to believe that his may have made the Colorado River trip. It is a long shot but worth checking into. As to the performance, I was referring to the trek up the Colorado River not the boats performance as a tow boat. I have never skied behind one but we plan to take one out this spring after some winter work.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bryan,I just did a internet search on Buehler just to see what comes up and to refresh my memory. Quite a lot of history but it didn't seem like there was a big following. Does your friend belong to any group of buehler owners that just doesn't show up on the Net? The only group was the Fiberglassics guys.

I do have to disagree with your statement on performance. They were horrible out of the water, you needed a 200' ski rope and own a gas station to run one. I still loved them and really don't know why!

How long has your friend been into them?

I do have to disagree with your statement on performance. They were horrible out of the water, you needed a 200' ski rope and own a gas station to run one.

Pete, they seemed fast because they were flying up those rivers over rocks and everything else.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 8:57pm
Bryan,I just did a internet search on Buehler just to see what comes up and to refresh my memory. Quite a lot of history but it didn't seem like there was a big following. Does your friend belong to any group of buehler owners that just doesn't show up on the Net? The only group was the Fiberglassics guys.

I do have to disagree with your statement on performance. They were horrible out of the water, you needed a 200' ski rope and own a gas station to run one. I still loved them and really don't know why!

How long has your friend been into them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 3:49pm
I think that the Bueller was used in a Bond film and President Kennedy owned one as well. I have a friend that owns two, he happened on one at a sale and really got interested in the boats. We live south of Indy, he thinks that one of his boats may have been used on the Colorado River expedition that was documented in National Geographic. They really are neat boats and way ahead of their time as far as their versatility and performance.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Behl Behl wrote:

The Buehler jet boat was made here in Indy by Indiana Gear Works which was owned by the Buehler family. I went to grade school with one of their sons.
The boat was tested on a small creek in Indy, Fall Creek, which is only a few feet deep.
Their sale promo film was the

Indiana Gear is since long gone. The company does not exist. I may be wrong but I think the pump for the boat had Swedish ties.

boat being drive up stream on the Colorado river.

I rememeber seeing those boats do that on TV when I was a kid. IIRC, there were competitions on ABC's Wide World of Sports.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 12:38pm
The Buehler jet boat was made here in Indy by Indiana Gear Works which was owned by the Buehler family. I went to grade school with one of their sons.
The boat was tested on a small creek in Indy, Fall Creek, which is only a few feet deep.
Their sale promo film was the boat being drive up stream on the Colorado river.

Indiana Gear is since long gone. The company does not exist. I may be wrong but I think the pump for the boat had Swedish ties.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 12:28pm
Wow what a find! I'd have bought that Arena Craft for $2k. I never heard of or saw a boat like that. It's a good thing I don't have lots of money or time, or I'd end up with a museum.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 12:11pm
Pete,
Heres another great find. A friend of a friend bought this 61 Arena Craft this summer for 2Gs! Good thing is ,its an inboard not jet drive....

Probably pretty rare also?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 7:38am
For some odd reason, I always liked the Buellers even though I knew they were slow, sluggish and bad on gas. Maybe it was the traditional stying that paralleled the 60's CC's. It would make a interesting project for someone with the time and desire. They are rare!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 3:09am
Chuck,
Think I'll pass on this one.... kind of a rare boat, but WAYYYYYYY more work than its worth to me....probably has some cool parts tho...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2007 at 2:35am
Hey Steve,

You gonna stack that one on top of the Barracuda?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2007 at 1:37pm
Just saw this Buehler on Craigslist...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic