NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spring Tuneup

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring Tuneup
    Posted: December-30-2007 at 4:01pm
Skidim has been selling parts for a long time. If they were having any problems they would change vendors. You can buy from them with complete confidence.
gave up sea ray life for a 77 southwind 20 project just livin the dream
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 10:52am
I'm thinking on going to EI, I have a Prestolite distributor, is the EI module at skidim any good???
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 9:55pm
Yes.....I suppose there is some variation in the manufacturing process and the inserts may be in slightly different locations from cap to cap. I would hope however that quality control holds these variations to a minimum. The indexing tab at the base of the cap could also be molded in a location that varies slightly.....that would change timing as well.

As you say, it is worthwhile to check timing when any part of the system is changed.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2007 at 12:10am
LaurelLakeSkier,The Boat Dr. Will have to disagree on that statement.The chances are very good that both distr. caps have the contacts in the same exact area.
But any movement in the casting of the cap can cause a shift , this would change the base timing on # 1 cyl.
No the rotor ,nor the module will move but if the contacts are not exactly in the same place, degreed, yes the timing will surely change.
With this said the base as well as max advance should be checked.This is always done when any part of the ign. system is changed.
There is a saying about anyone can do a job, but only a few do it RIGHT......boat dr   
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 11:41pm
Replacing the distributor cap will not change your timing.

If you do have access to a timing light however, it would be worth checking to see that it is set correctly. One of the main advantages to the electronic system is getting rid of the points. These wear over time and will change the timing as they wear.....the electronic system should not change unless the distibutor is turned.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 8:21pm
The only thing that changed when you converted to EI was the module in the base of the distributor that replaced the points and condensor. Timing should have been checked after the conversion. The cap and rotor can be replaced with new versions of the same parts when you do your tuneup.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 8:16pm
hey guys, i want to do a tune up this spring on my 1982 351W.

I'm planning on, new belts, new plugs, new wires, and new rwp impeller. My question is concerning the distributor cap. My boat has been converted to electronic ignition. Do I still need to replace the cap? Do I need to set timing after I replace it.

Everything is easy except I don't know much about electronic ignition or how the dist cap works.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic