Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shifter Repair and ski eye removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shifter Repair and ski eye removal
    Posted: January-03-2008 at 6:46pm
Nope my buddy has an 89 2001 with a MV2 control and it had it. It was stock because the boat was an all original low hour boat.
2001 SAN
"Python Powered"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

What are you really asking about the shifter? you should be able to pull out of drive or reverse without pulling the little black knob thats normal operation.

Nice catch, Joe. Youre right- the lockout is only supposed to keep the throttle from being knocked into gear (from neutral) accidentally. If its not doing that, remove the shifter from the boat and take a look at how it works- its painfully simple.

I doubt the shifter is original, by the way. I believe '90 was the first year to have that feature. I can say for sure that they didnt come stock in '88.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 12:41pm
What are you really asking about the shifter? you should be able to pull out of drive or reverse without pulling the little black knob thats normal operation.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 11:56am
You can get a pop up rear pylon from Marine Hardware but your gas tank would be in the way. I would leave it too. I used to use mine to tie up all the time.

The shifter sounds like it needs a new arm. I just had to replace mine in my 98 because it would not lock out in nuetral. New are fixed it perfectly.

Brad
2001 SAN
"Python Powered"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 11:22am
David, I too would have second thoughts about removing the lifting eye. You say that you don't use it but the next person who may buy the boat might have a boat house or a lift that requires it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 11:03am
One thing to keep in mind if you are going to remove the rear eye is that you won't have a fixed point in the rear for tying up should you ever need too. I don't normally use mine either but I have had to use it when caught in a thunderstorm and had to make a run for the bridge. I had to use it as a tie-off point along with the front one cause the storm was blowing so hard it was having its way with the boat and using it was the only way for us to stay under the middle of the bridge and not get soaked.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 10:11am
if you are mechanically inclined you may be able to fix yourself, on most shifters there is a friction adjustment on the inside that will stiffen it or loosen it, alot of times detent balls will hang in the holes and so on. I would take it apart and see what was going on in there.... if you sent it somewhere you'll probably get hosed and would be better off buying new
"the things you own will start to own you"
wakeboarderdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboarderdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 8:29pm
Q1: Our shifter on our 88 2001 is having problems staying in neutral. Hell it doesn't even do that. When you go to pull the shifter out of drive or reverse you can do it without pulling on the little black knob. Does anyone know if this can be sent off to have it fixed or if we could fix it ourself?

Q2: Is it possible to remove the rear lift eye and replace it maybe with a pop up one? We don't use it at all and probably never will. OR does anyone know where a cover could be purchased that would go over the whole. I'd love to make this a place where a custom binding lube thing could come out!

Finally we are getting our stringer rot repaired! Dad finally decided he couldn't do it so we took it to a local shop and they quoted us for the repair to cost less than $2000! That is after all of the old floor and foam has been ripped out. Now I will for sure have a boat to ride behind this summer!
Suthoff all the good times we had together will never be forgotten and I wish we could have been closer over the past few years. Watch over us all!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic