Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel coat, paint, or just Polish?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
timsdayoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timsdayoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gel coat, paint, or just Polish?
    Posted: January-11-2008 at 8:40pm
My 87 is royal blue. I can feel these spider cracks. If I dug my finger nails into them I could maybe peel them open. I'll get some pics loaded up next week.
Tim, born skiing in MN, now skis Vegas
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2008 at 8:17pm
Tim, let's see pics of your '87. You can check mine out from my link in my signature below.

I have a spider crack in the side right in the middle of the 2001 decal on the starboard side. It doesn't look the greatest, but I'm not ready to eager to destroy my decals to try to fix it.

Glen
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2008 at 3:09am
what color is the hull and stripe, I hope its not maroon, but most likey it is, it seems like most 87s where that color, I have buffed out a bunch of them, it may have to be wet sanded!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 3:49pm
Ive heard before that CC had gelcoat issues in '87. The cracks are only a cosmetic issue- that is unless they were caused by structural issues underneath (rotten stringers, floor/hull seperation, hull/stringer seperation, etc).

Wetsanding the gel will make the cracks less obvious. Youre talking $$$ to have them professionally repaired. The real issue is determining if you need to tear into the floor to repair any underlying damage.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timsdayoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2008 at 3:45pm
Great info in those two threads...I've started using a 3M product and it is doing a better job than I thought possible. I am concerned about a few spider cracks in the side of the hull. I'm not sure if they require the gel coat to be replaced. Once I get my camera set up I'll get some pics up.

My boat is a 1987 2001, I am the 2nd owner. I've had it for 11 years. I always had treated it like my baby. I left it for 2 years with cousins while I was traveling so much I couldn't use it. They let it sit in water for a year, never took care of it. Now I have it back and it's time to restore.

Thanks for the kind welcome to the group.
Tim
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2008 at 7:30am
Tim, We always like to greet people to the site so from all of us, welcome. You will find the answers hear!

Try to restore the original gel first and see how it turns out. It's a lot cheaper and easier than the alternate of ether paint or new gel. If it doesn't work, I try to encourage new gel first but it is expensive and requires lots of man hours. Paints have come a long way with the advent of the linear polyurethanes but the bottom line is it is still paint and you need to treat them as such. As a wood boat owner, I'm verry familiar with the care and maintenance needed on paint.

There are a couple great threads on buffing/wet sanding gel coats back to original. I will do a search and see if I can provide a link.

How about some pictures and some more background about the boat?

buffing gel

another buffing thread

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timsdayoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2008 at 11:44pm
I've been watching this forum for awhile and it is great. I can't thank you guys enough for all the info I've used on my 87" 2001. I'm now ready to start on the outside of the hull. I'm not sure if a heavy duty polishing will do the trick or if I need to get into renewing the Gel coat, Clear coat or Paint. Any suggestions would help. The boat sat in the water for 8 months and now has a rough/sandy finish to the lower part of the hull and bottom.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic