NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Base Mount

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Base Mount
    Posted: February-26-2008 at 10:49pm
Thanks guys for all your thoughts a great help,do think Pete and the reverse pin is the way to go hope to add a ali frame as the 2001 as well under floor as Bfn and Joe is right have lost metal in the socket and pin.
Now some will not agree with the next part but just got to give it a go, have found sheet Grp in the UK Roechling Glastic made in the US and have gone for it, in the US you have more choice of grades, I am stuck with buss bar grade here so as Pete has said no matting just glass strands.Have made first part of the sub stringer and had to joint the sheet as its only 8ft lap joint of 3 inches bonded with epoxy, have run a small test by adding weight in the middle supported each end and measured the movement so far old stringer black but not rotten moved 1/8 Grp same shape no movement this is a load of 30lb the Grp is 10mm thick, will fabricate up box section with webs for main stringers.
Have 5mm sheets to do the floor,as for weight not much in it as the old stringer is 24lb and Grp is 27 lb as you can see have it in the boat wedged in under load to see how the joint holds up and deciding if I should rap around stringer with matting and epoxy before fitting in the boat.
more thoughts please good or bad.
I will be re foaming before flooring, the Grp is hard to cut as TCT dull quick so gone to diamond cutters.
Have had a go at braking the GRP off cut 2 inch wide and would not go just bent with about 15 st force ( I jumped on it )
thanks Roger.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 11:21am
Mine is a little newer and has a stainless bolt through the two after you have dropped the pin in said socket but its newer than 78. If it has survived to this point, clean it out well and apply never sieze very liberally before you reassemble. The stick in a bucket comment leads me to believe you have lost quite a bit of metal between them as they should be relatively tight fit, no where near press but not a stick in a bucket either.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 11:07am
This shows a plate I had made to strenghen the factory set-up for an extended pylon. There is another underneath just like the top plate. Roger, the plate Pete is talking about is the smaller(4") one under the top plate. This is Pre-CCFan and shows a few mistakes I was making as well?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 7:48am
Rodger, No problem! Glad you got the picture to work. The connection on the bottom of the pylon is simply a female socket glassed in to the keel and a male pin out the bottom of the pylon. There isn't a pin or a bolt in it. The whole thing is held in by the welded on plate that bolts to the floor. This design is one of the engineering (or lack of) gripes I have with CC. The bottom cup holds water and since it, as well as the pin are carbon steel they rust out. My Tiques was almost gone! If rusted out, you can reverse the set up by glassing in a stainless pin (welded to a flange) to the keel and it will fit into the hole in the bottom of the aluminum pylon. No water and no rust. Is there a problem with yours? From the picture, it looks like it's in pretty good shape.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 10:40pm
Hi 8122pbrainard

Sorry for the sloppy post.

Thanks Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 10:25pm
Roger, Since you didn't say the year, I had to go back in your previous posts to find a reference to the year. Is this on the 78 Nautique? Are you talking about the lower mounting pin on the pylon? Your picture didn't make it!! Please preview your posts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 9:56pm
Hi

Can the team here help on what the base mounting should be,on a 78 SN as mine is like a stick in a bucket, should it have a mounting in it or just a close fit to the pin on the base of the pole.
thanks roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic