NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To much oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
85sn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To much oil
    Posted: March-10-2008 at 8:40pm
Thanks for all the help TRBenj you were right thats what i was suppose to do.

Thanks Again.

Cory
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 12:18am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I've got my PCM manual open right in front of me and it's say for a 351 4 quarts + 1 for the filter. This question comes up every once in a while and is debated both ways.

Next time you do an oil change remove your filter and drain your oil completely, add the new filter and 4 quarts of oil. The rest of this should be done with the boat in the water. Start and run the engine until you have oil pressure, shut it down and let it sit for 10 minutes. Pull the dipstick and with a file make a score mark at the oil level.   Add 1 more quart, start, run, shut down, let it sit for 10 minutes and take a second oil reading. With the file mark the dipstick again. This is your new Full mark and the other mark is your add 1 quart level.

Agreed. I always put in 5 qts.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by 85sn 85sn wrote:

I dont know if anything was swaped out on it, when i bought the boat its engine had been rebuit with 8 hours on it. I ll have to ask the marina why they think its not the right one. they also saod it would 600.oo for a new one.

Try to get some info on the engine rebuild, who did it and what was done. It could be a rear main leak if the wrong seals were used as it's a reverse rotation engine.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 10:22pm
I've got my PCM manual open right in front of me and it's say for a 351 4 quarts + 1 for the filter. This question comes up every once in a while and is debated both ways.

Next time you do an oil change remove your filter and drain your oil completely, add the new filter and 4 quarts of oil. The rest of this should be done with the boat in the water. Start and run the engine until you have oil pressure, shut it down and let it sit for 10 minutes. Pull the dipstick and with a file make a score mark at the oil level.   Add 1 more quart, start, run, shut down, let it sit for 10 minutes and take a second oil reading. With the file mark the dipstick again. This is your new Full mark and the other mark is your add 1 quart level.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 9:37pm
4 qts fills my 351 to the full level on the dipstick and thats what I go with. Every manual I've looked at fails to give a oil volume, they all list checking the level by way of the dipstick. I know 5 qts is used in automotive applications but wonder if having the boat engine at an angle makes the difference.
85sn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 9:22pm
I dont know if anything was swaped out on it, when i bought the boat its engine had been rebuit with 8 hours on it. I ll have to ask the marina why they think its not the right one. they also saod it would 600.oo for a new one.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 8:18pm
Cory, Did you do some engine/parts swapping? Just wondering how you came up with what the shop feels is the wrong oil pan.

I have never gone by volume of oil as I feel you really never get all the oil out especially in the days when your only option was to suck it out. I use the volume as a rough estimate and the dip stick as a final level.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
85sn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 7:57pm
I have a 85 ski nautique and it at the shop for an oil leak. They drained all the oil and when they put 5 quarts back in it it was to full. There telling me i need a different oil pan,is this really the case? Need some help. It has 1 351 in it.Thank cory
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic