NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tjeffery72Mus. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator
    Posted: March-31-2008 at 11:15pm
So that was the problem and the engine runs like a dream... Thanks alot guys.
The Guy.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 1:08am
Right on guys, Im hopeing that is the problem, Im startin to get stressed out, Ive spent alot of money and Im not wakeboarding yet!!!
The Guy.

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 12:55am
Thomas, remember a bad ground can cause the same issue as a bad 12v supply. If the Battery is good, check your connections.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 12:46am
Tom, Check the battery. If a solenoid or relay clicks or buzzes, the voltage is usually low. Both have a coil that electrically becomes a magnet that pulls a armature and it closes electrical contacts. It's just like grade school when a electro magnet is made by wrapping wire around a nail and connecting it up to a battery. In a solenoid or relay, when voltage is low, there isn't enough power to keep the armature pulled closed so they buzz or click.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 11:52pm
what does it mean when you try to start your boat and a sound comes from the cylanoid that sounds like the sound people get on the family fued when they pick a wrong answer, I dont have a clue, maybe the battery is not charged enough, or my wireing is wrong...???
The Guy.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 3:11pm
Tom, I would have to say you don't have a wiring diagram?? There is one for a slightly newer PCM in our ref section. It may not be exact but may help.

Here it is:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 11:34am
Ok, I have a problem, I never labeled the wires when I took the alternator off so now I have 2 wires that go one way or the other or viseversa,well you know what I mean, I got the one on the starter it was the only one that I was sure of, so know I am scared because if you do that on a vehicle it will kill the alternator fuse and well it just does bad things, Im not sure how that works on a boat not that its that much different but I really dont know, im thinking that I am going to have to wait till the amps stay up on the meter on the dash to make sure it is working or something like that, i guess I am asking how do I know when the battery is chargeing???? because this is what started all of this, one big headache?????
The Guy.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 1:11pm
there still is a commutator and two brushes at least on GM's designs, and they can arc around the edges of the brushes as they wear.

The open design is for cooling usually there is an internal baffle on the newwer models. and most models have either and extrenal and/or internal fans to help keep it cool. So it the rear section, or slip ring end as we called it that requires the flame arrestor around the brush assembly. Not really sure on Chryslers designs but I would say that unit shown has internal fans and with out looking at the back of it I can't tell if it's marine or not.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 9:12am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

safty? always an open arc on a alternator

Chris, Could Tom's alternator be the original?? You have the alternator knowledge so tell me more. I'm curious about the arcing and also why Chryslers have open case alternators.

I know with the old generators that some could be used for the 4th of July! With a alternator (it's been a long time since I've opened one up) doesn't it have one brush? Is that for excitation? With it being a continuous (no commutator) contact, do they arc?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1969cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 1:10am
Pete
You almost got busted by tjeffery72Mus. LOL
If you see light at the end of the tunnel you might be looking the wrong way

69 Mustang
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 12:45am
You know that is funny Brainard that you should say that because I work for the Oklahoma County Sheriffs Department. And lol, I see your point, I am only a Detention Officer though...lol
The Guy.

Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 11:33pm
Sorry to jump in on this post but the title applies to me. I have a Chrysler 318. I have checked the original and it needs rebuilt. I plan on it but would like a spare, any good places with reasonable prices that would work for my engine. I have been unable to find any under $150.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 11:23pm
safty? always an open arc on a alternator
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 10:05pm
Tom, Well, I'm glad I asked what was wrong with it and what was the amp meter reading!!!

I doubt that you are going to get a fine! Most marine patrols whether they be state, local or county hire "officers" that wouldn't know what they are looking at!

All I do know is the officer on Green Lake knows how to read a decibel meter!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 9:46pm
LOL, It works, I didnt even know, just figured it was shot, glad you said that brainard,oops, otherwise I might not have checked, the alternator is fine lol...   But, there is a but... Am I gonna get fined at the lake because it is not a marine alternator, that is just something I heard. Not sure. do you guys know if that is in place at your lake...???
The Guy.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 1:45pm
if the old one is tiered and needs replaced and the wiring harness on the engine looks a little ragged, I would suggest the 65 amp unit and the wiring harness up-grade that SKIDIM sales it's real easy to install and you get all new boots for the sending units and it looks orginal too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 7:43am
Tom, You haven't mentioned yet why you want to change the aternator. Have you checked to see if it is working? Do you what to add larger loads such as a sound system? Like Gary has mentioned, the original is fine for the original engine. Unlike a old generator, a alternator will put out at engine idle. They will reach max output just above idle at about 1000engine RPM. What is your amp meter telling you?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 1:33am
Tom, I haven't put it on yet and I had no trouble before with the smaller Prestolite so I don't think there would be any trouble.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 11:53pm
shouldn't be a problem unless the rpm is so low you aren't going to idle right. A boat doesn't idle any faster than a boat so as long as the belts tight and wired right, no problem that I could think of.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 9:59pm
Gary, did you get the 105 amp. And did you have any problems with keeping battery charged while idleing. I ask because I heard from a mechanic that if the engine doesnt idle high enough, I will run the battery out of juice. Does this make any sence, because I really dont even know...? I would really like to get that alt. looks good and has a nice price.
The Guy.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 11:56pm
Tom we both have the same engine.The owners and parts manual does not tell you what what size the original is.The picture above shows the original Prestolite on the left.I was going to replace it with the one on the right.Bigger amps will not hurt and I doubt you could find one with that low of output.You might have to change some wiring since the new ones have internal regulators,but someone here would be able to tell you how to wire it up.It's hard to see your engine picture but if you have an external regulator it's usually mounted on the top of the bellhousing.It's about 3" square,1/2" thick and has 3 wires going to it.Here is where I got my new one- http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/items/10si-marine?sck=859808
It was $77 delivered.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 11:07pm
So from what I got from all that was that mine might be a 35 amp, ? , Will it hurt if I put like say a 65 amp, or bigger on it.??????
The Guy.

SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 12:15am
MARK,
   What make of valve cover are you showing in your picture. I have purchased two sets at flea markets and they have all been to tall. They hit the exhaust riser. Thanks
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 4:58pm
I did what MADD MARXX did and switched to the one wire Gm and it works great.The only way to go.Any good alternator shop can make you one up.At least mine did.Just tell them what you have and what you need and they will help you out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 4:48pm
well looks like a car alt and not a marine unit
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 4:44pm
The carburator is not on there because it is being rebuilt...
The Guy.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 4:43pm
These are some pics of the engine and the alternator that I am not sure of the amps on because it is covered in blue paint...

The Guy.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 8:59am
Jeffery, The closest manual in the ref section is the 1974 Waukesha. It states that the alternator is a 35 amp and I would say that is what is on yours. Very common in those years.

What are you doing? No output or do you want to upgrade for load reasons?

If you replace, do put a marine unit back on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 1:04am
Here some pics of different marine alternators,right one is a new 105 amp and the left one is my old Prestolite, amperage unknown.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2008 at 12:42am
Sorry I dont have better pic of it, just make sure it is marine, because it has screens in the vents to stop the sparks and the automotive ones dont have that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic