NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering cable

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering cable
    Posted: April-03-2008 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

someone has to keep you inline Timmy

Likewise. Still waiting on that explanation on how the PV opens the secondaries.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 11:56am
someone has to keep you inline Timmy
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 10:51am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

don't see how the clamp block is going to eleminate anything as the cable is still attached to the helm. to test the helm you have to pull the cable out of it, the clamp block is only on there for adjusting the throw postion relative to the rudder, or in other words centering the rudder/wheel.

Youre right, brain fart on my part. I edited my post for correctness.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2008 at 1:25am
Jay: No "slings and arrows" left in my quivver. Didn't mean no harm....was just trying to give Tim some props for his vast knowledge and recall...and to reassure a newbie. Sometimes when a guy is new here he can get so much info his head might kindaspin a bit.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 6:50pm
don't see how the clamp block is going to eleminate anything as the cable is still attached to the helm. to test the helm you have to pull the cable out of it, the clamp block is only on there for adjusting the throw postion relative to the rudder, or in other words centering the rudder/wheel.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 11:38am
Originally posted by longbeach92 longbeach92 wrote:

Question, if I disconnect the rudder assembly shouldn't the steering free up due to the lack of resistence?

Precisely. There are 3 things that could cause stiff steering: the rudder port, the helm, and the cable. Youre trying to determine which it is. By removing the cable from the rudder, you can test the rudder independently by hand. If you disconnect the cable from the helm, that will allow you to check the helm independantly. If everything seems free when you do those checks, all signs point to the cable as the culprit.

Regarding your earlier question about deciphering the PCM engine tag, take a look at page 4 of the PCM Service Manual in the reference section. Unfortunately it doesnt include the info on the HO 351 (3rd digit = P) or the 1.23 tranny.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 9:23am
All is well here Jay. Didn't mean to bail on you...you have several things to check so I was waiting to hear that you had checked and for the results.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
longbeach92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbeach92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 3:00am
Thanks for the information... Greg, have'nt heard from you since responding to your post, hope everything is okay...TRB, At the expense of suffering the slings and arrows of Jbear, who wrote: ("longbeach: When TRBenj talks..people listen. He don't need no stinkin' reference...he's got all this info in his head. Take it to the bank"), when i asked you for written material regarding an earlier question as to the type of engine I had. Which by the way, I was not questioning your knowledge and/or experince in said field, i was only trying to garner written information to include in my notebook. But I digress... Question, if I disconnect the rudder assembly shouldn't the steering free up due to the lack of resistence? Tim, I will try your suggestion first,, sounds like the easiest place to start,,, any other suggestions would be appreciated, Jay.
By the way, I sprayed a little lubricant on the rudder shaft beneath the boat, and, whether it's my imagination or not, the steering seemed a little (microscopic) more fluid...   
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 4:11pm
Jay
I also own a 1992 ski nautique and I´m also under that situation. But I checked for the cable and it is ok (original never changed). In my case the problem is inside the tilt steering mechanism (a plastic joint)of the helm causing the steering to get stucked when it turns one side to another and depending also the position of the steer. Anyone knows if there´s a way to replace this joint or the only solution is to replace the entire helm?
Sebastian
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 3:44pm
On my boat, there's a nut on the back of the helm which is on the end of the rod the wheel turns,if you get it too tight it makes the steering very tight.
Tim D
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 2:38pm
if someone wants to do the research if the cables are available at Landnsea.net, and dis-regard the list price because its whacky.
come up with some part numbers and I'll call there to see what a cost would be with my discount, im sure its cheaper then most as with the acme props
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 11:57pm
Jay, disconnect the cable from the rudder and see how the steering feels. Theres a 99% chance it will feel great- which means you need to replace the cable. I just did the cable on my '90 last year, so youre about due.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbeach92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 11:49pm
steering is the same in either direction.. the wheel turns easily enough at idle as well as under power.. it's just not as smooth as, dare i mention the make again, mastercraft... jay
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 8:06pm
Jay, it might not be that simple but hopefully is. The steering shouldn't be stiff. I can turn mine with a finger or two(or could before I took it apart LOL). Is your's hard to turn both ways? Does it do the same thing at idle and under power?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbeach92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2008 at 6:41pm
Boat: 1992 Ski nautigue (open bow),,
Steering cable history: to my knowledge the steering cable has never been replaced... I have lubricated the sleeve/cable at it's terminus as well as lubricating the rudder mechanism...
Owner: 1st time owner of a tounement type ski boat,, no experience w/ any other Nautiques r/ steering...
Situation: I have recently piloted a 2003 Mastercraft X-7,, the steering between the two boats is like night and day,, the X-7 is smooth as silk (feels like power steering vs manual)
Question: Is the steering on the nautique normally stiff or do i need a new cable? Thanks, Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic