NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

temperature

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: temperature
    Posted: April-16-2008 at 8:50pm
I bougth from my local sn dealer a 160º thermostat (he charge me 50 dollars!!!!), but I also ordered from Discount inboard marine a 143º one that should arrive to me in 10 days along with a new fuel pump (marine) to replace the automotive one i have now installed. I´ll let you know how it worked with the 160. I hope to see changes!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 5:57pm
10days ago.... i out a new impeller.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 9:11pm
When was the last time the raw water pump impeller changed? I noticed on mine (since I haven't changed it yet) was running a little hotter than usual. About 170-180'F in water temps around 64'F. Most guy's go 1 year then change it. I always keep the old one as a spare in the boat in case the new one fails.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 7:56pm
Horsepower, safety(explosions) and thermal shock. If it was running at 200 plus degrees, 70 degree lake water entering the motor would be a problem.
Tim D
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 7:34pm
Why does the same engine but in car use runs hotter that in marine use? I was told by a friend that when working very cool the fuel/air mixture is not that efficient than when working at 180º. I not quite sure but i guess you can enlight me with this...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 7:30pm
Regarding hoses and the strainer bowl yes, I re tighten them last sunday and no changes in readings. I will check for the thermostat (I guess never changed it). Is it recomendable to run the engine w/o it? or it will make the engine run to cool causing more fuel consumption?
Sebastian
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Any chance you have an automotive thermostat? The marine versions are set to open at a lower temp. IMO you are running too hot but may also have a grounding issue in your wiring. I also don't think the plate should be grooved in the pump, but I will have to defer to the pros on that.

Even the wrong marine 'stat will cause you to run hot. Kapla, do you know if you have a 160 or 143 'stat installed? The carbies take the 143, and should have you running at 160. The 160 will run closer to 180.

Did you take my advice about checking the hose clamps and strainer bowl?

The jump in temp when turning on the lights is a low voltage issue (due to dirty connections and undersized wiring to the dash). Its very common for our boats.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 4:12pm
Any chance you have an automotive thermostat? The marine versions are set to open at a lower temp. IMO you are running too hot but may also have a grounding issue in your wiring. I also don't think the plate should be grooved in the pump, but I will have to defer to the pros on that.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 2:41pm
another thing this is how its been working in the past 2 years at least and the engine by my guess pulls like hell.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 2:37pm
Well I checked temperature and runs constantly between 170 to 180 degrees. It goes to 160 when going fast but then it goes up again. reviing in neutral also puts temperature down. But while cruising riding constant 170-180. recently (2 weeks) the impeller was cahnged and no change in readings. Another issue that confusse me is that it seems there`s a electrical problem as when i turn on the nav ligth all gauges incl Tº goes higher than normal reading. when turned of again tº tend to go to lower than 170-180 reading and then up again. Then raw water has the metal thin plates that cover the impeller with mark (round circles)caused by the friction of the impeller itself. This worn can cause restriction on the water flow? Regarding hoses no leaks are visible all tight. Straint cup is clean. Any idea? blown cylinder gasket could be the answer? or obstruction in hoses? some help here....
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 4:19pm
You should be running right around 160 while cruising. Swings up to 170-180 are normal if you run hard and then return to idle. If youre seeing 190 on a regular basis, Id go around and tighten all the hose clamps on the cooling system as well as the strainer bowl. Use a ratchet, not a screwdriver. Very small air leaks will cause you to run a little hot.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 4:00pm
Hi I wanted to know between which temperature readings should a 1992 pcm 351 engine work at normal, cruising conditions. Also is it normal that when you turn the engine off, and when you restart it again a couple of minutes later the temparature gauge goes to max temperature and then after some second it goes to the normal working temperature. my boat works between 160 to 190 fº.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic