NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 24>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 3:09pm
Chris, sorry about your weather but thanks! We've had unusual weather here. It was in the 60's last week and will be again monday, but it's snowing now?!!? LOL

I'm glad you're enjoying following along...why are you isolated from your's?

In a backwards sort of way, it's nice to know why I have blisters along the chines in the front.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 3:22pm
that keel looks like a Sea-ray hull, when you work in the hull of Sea-ray you dont even need a flashlight
"the things you own will start to own you"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 3:40pm
Greg - There is about 50 yds of snow 3 foot deep separating my trailer hitch from the SN.

This is the worst winter we have had in at least 25 yrs.

Looking forward to spring thaw & wak'n up that bitch'n 351.

Is your wife helping you with all these photo posts? Hope your camera & computer don't get full of glass dust.

Chris

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Greg - There is about 50 yds of snow 3 foot deep separating my trailer hitch from the SN.

Sadness...

This is the worst winter we have had in at least 25 yrs.

It's because of global warming?!!?

Is your wife helping you with all these photo posts? Hope your camera & computer don't get full of glass dust.

No, but it's her camera and I'm careful with it!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 4:05pm
Eric, that's funny but if you compare my boat to a sea ray we'll both get kicked off of here?!!?
The main problem...

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 4:11pm
its snowing!!!! i got 16" or so since yesterday, figured it would be a good day to spend with the family and you guy's too
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 4:14pm
I wish i had a CC mold, a guy that does some glass work for me builds fiberglass hummer bodies and panels for the military and he has all the right equipment and 55 gallon drums of all the right materials, i would go a touch thicker though
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

, figured it would be a good day to spend with the family and you guy's too

We feel so blessed,kinda like listening to Hillary.............Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 4:31pm
you might be listening to 4 good years of Hillary....
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 11:30pm
Not here too...
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 1:23am
ONE PICTURE SAYS IT ALL...

Sorry..isn't really boat maintenance related...couldn't resist the opportunity.
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 11:47am
I'm putting a materials list together and of course have a few questions.
-for the clear penetrating epoxy, is the 2 gal kit enough?
-what weight of fiberglass cloth should I use?
-what's the scoop on when to use cloth, mat roving, etc? The cloth is more structural and the mat is more of a filler?
-don't throw anything at me, I think I'm going to use this foam...100 board ft or 200?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 7:49am
Wow...I must've stepped in something?!!? Off to the bookstore then...
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 8:33am
Greg, You must drive your wife nuts with your impatience!! Bill Skibum had a nice list put together but of coarse his boat wasn't a Bare foot so you will need to do some calculating. The 1 gal. kit of penetrating should do it. You will probably need at least 4 gal. of plain epoxy so I would go for a 5 gal. kit. (don't forget the pumps) A small quantity of mat is good to go between the new wood and the hull just to take up minor irregularities in scribing. A high strength filler added to the resin to make some small fillets (about 1"r.)at the bottom of the wood and then some 4" wide tape over it. The first layer over the wood I suggest roving. Then 6oz. over the top. Since you are using epoxy, I feel the 2 layers are good but a 3rd if you feel like it won't hurt. You can add a white or gray pigment to the top coat of epoxy but some have had good luck with the Interlux Bilge coat.

Now, go wipe off your shoes!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 8:51am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Now, go wipe off your shoes!

Yessir!!! The wedding is 2 months out yet...maybe I should ditch this mess and go to vegas while I can?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 9:09am
Ok, I thought you we married already. So she hasn't figured out all of your idiosyncrasy's yet!!

Fogot, 100 b.f. foam kit will only give you 8.3 cu. ft. Do some calculating on the areas you are filling.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 9:27am

Ok, I thought you we married already. So she hasn't figured out all of your idiosyncrasy's yet!!

She was just down here laughing at your response...and picking on me!

I did run some #'s...the hang up for me is the sea of uncertainty until I have done something once.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 9:42am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

...the hang up for me is the sea of uncertainty until I have done something once.

Hopefully that doesn't hold true for the plans that are 2 months away!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 10:12am

Hopefully that doesn't hold true for the plans that are 2 months away!!!

Not to worry Pete...I've been married before! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I'm putting a materials list together and of course have a few questions.
-for the clear penetrating epoxy, is the 2 gal kit enough?
-what weight of fiberglass cloth should I use?
-what's the scoop on when to use cloth, mat roving, etc? The cloth is more structural and the mat is more of a filler?
-don't throw anything at me, I think I'm going to use this foam...100 board ft or 200?

just get the stuff from Eric he'll sell it at cost and ship it free for a small donations to the sight, or is it the idiot price and not cost forget sorry. But what the hell give it a shot and see what happens.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 3:20pm
I dont know how i should take that 79
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I dont know how i should take that 79

Sounds like a hidden agenda............Boat dr
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

just get the stuff from Eric he'll sell it at cost and ship it free for a small donations to the sight, or is it the idiot price and not cost forget sorry. But what the hell give it a shot and see what happens.

Sounds like 79' forgot to move the clock forward Sun AM and started drinking WAY before noon today!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Sounds like 79' forgot to move the clock forward Sun AM and started drinking WAY before noon today!

who said I stopped drinking?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 4:28pm
so what does it run to buy all of the supplies need to glass in the stringers and redo the floor. I'm going to need to know this as my next boat will need to be redone I'm sure so that way if I know the cost then I can figure that into the total cost of my next boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 4:32pm
Yikes!!! My fir order for ply, 2x and 1x is $720.00?!!? Is using douglas fir that important?
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 4:34pm

so what does it run to buy all of the supplies need to glass in the stringers and redo the floor. I'm going to need to know this as my next boat will need to be redone I'm sure so that way if I know the cost then I can figure that into the total cost of my next boat.

Figure about a grand, roughly, for glass, epoxy, foam and wood.

You find your next boat, Chris? A shiny new Mastercraft maybe?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 4:49pm
I cut the order back to plain sawn...cuts it in half, but $1000 ain't gonna do it from my research.
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 4:57pm
I agree 1k is low, if its a full out all stringers all foam and new floor I would say closer 1500, not using any wood and including carpet I am guessing I will be close to 3k for mine.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Figure about a grand, roughly, for glass, epoxy, foam and wood.

You find your next boat, Chris? A shiny new Mastercraft maybe?

now your funny, it will be a Martinque, Dominque or a BareFoot for the next one Timmy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 24>
  Share Topic