NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 24>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:17am
Mornin' Pete! I have been busy. Amy and I are giving each other a turbo toilet for wedding presents?!!? Yes, I have a big hole in the backyard and the separator box in the drainfield is clogged among other things.

Are you picking on me or agreeing with me? I can't quite tell?!!? LOL I may be overdoing a bit, but it is my nature. Besides, I figured that even support would be a good thing. There were places on the original BH's where the ply didn't touch the hull at all.

I'm thinking of laying a length of 1" flexible tubing along each side of the center stringer to be pulled out after the foam goes in for a water channel. Will regular paste wax make a good 1-time mold release?

Besides the foam, if anyone sees a fly in my ointment...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:43am
Bellview keeps popping in my mind
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:45am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Bellview keeps popping in my mind

Maybe you missed an appointment?
1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:53am
Greg- Looks to me like you need to change your foam / floor material. I think this job will require no foam & a plexiglass floor to show off the stringer work!
Greg

86 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:54am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Mornin' Pete! I have been busy. Amy and I are giving each other a turbo toilet for wedding presents?!!? Yes, I have a big hole in the backyard and the separator box in the drainfield is clogged among other things.

Are you picking on me or agreeing with me? I can't quite tell?!!? LOL I may be overdoing a bit, but it is my nature. Besides, I figured that even support would be a good thing. There were places on the original BH's where the ply didn't touch the hull at all.

I'm thinking of laying a length of 1" flexible tubing along each side of the center stringer to be pulled out after the foam goes in for a water channel. Will regular paste wax make a good 1-time mold release?

Besides the foam, if anyone sees a fly in my ointment...

I'm picking on you and agreeing with you!!!

I like the idea of puting the tubing in so it will form a drain channel but I'm worried about getting it out of the foam. The foam is a solvent base and I feel will eat up the paste wax you are thinking of using as a mold release. I think there are some water based mold release's out there that you can use. I would also consider using some Pex tubing. The polyethylene is what glue bottles are made out of. Nothing sticks to it!! (almost nothing - there are special processes)

Even though I do like the idea, You may be going a little extream!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:01am
You guys are too much. It's a couple of pieces of ply...not much more.

Greg, I did put plexi on the back of a jewelry box one time...
1988 BFN-sold

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:07am
Greg, neat idea, but why not just leave the tube in the foam? If you use something sturdy like PEX or pvc, then there should be no need to remove it.
Just a thought.
-Brad
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:11am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm picking on you and agreeing with you!!!

That'll work!

Pex tubing...gee, I'm fresh out of the stuff.

Here's another idea I'm tossing around for the vent system; air tubing.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:14am
Brad. Greg wants to use it as a continuous drain along the length of the stringer so holes along it's lenght are needed. Sort of like a leachaid drain at the bottom of a garbage dump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:15am
Greg, Don't sweat it dude. If your gonaa fix it then fix it RIGHT. No since in doing a half arse job then have to do it again 10 years from now. "You go Girl!"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:19am
Brad, I thought about using split 1.5" pvc with relief cuts on the bottom to allow water to flow into the channel and down. Then I realized the foam would plug it up and it would be useless. I wanted to leave a piece of tubing or something in, but I can't figure a way to for water get into it that foam wouldn't plug.

If I could pull a piece of tubing out, I should have a closed cell tube left in its place.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:24am
Garbage Dump...you go girl?!!? 'Fraid to ask! LOL

But you have it Pete, that's just what I'm trying to do.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:55am
Greg, I met a guy one time on the Niagra river and he had to show his boat to me, it was a 32 or 34 Chris and this guy installed 2x2 plexiglass trimmed out in Mahogany floors above his engine room, Chris's were known for copper and brass tubing and this guy had every piece polished perfectly. He would kick on these lights and all you seen through the floors was a couple of perfect 427's, this guy had some time on his hands, never seen nothing like it since....well until now lol, I hope you take this as constructive critism, you are doing a nice job as it should be
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 12:49pm
Greg, Get some of the long thin balloons that the baloon artists use to make the animals and such. Inflate them to foam and deflate to remove. Hopefully you can find some that are long enough.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 12:51pm
Eric, did you have a camera?!!? LOL That's way past where I'm going. As you picked up on with the pumpkin, I want something that is strong enough to enjoy being used!

Pete, had to come back and thank you for sharing your materials knowlege.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 1:04pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 1:06pm
[QUOTE=BuffaloBFN] Garbage Dump...you go girl?!!? 'Fraid to ask! LOL

You know; A sista gonna do, what a sista gonna do....her girlfriend say " You go girl!"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Garbage Dump...you go girl?!!? 'Fraid to ask! LOL

You know; A sista gonna do, what a sista gonna do....her girlfriend say " You go girl!"

There was earlier discussion of Belleview...
LOL!

I was hoping you meant the BFN as it is a she.

Wouldn't the ballons get crushed? Cool idea though...I briefly thought of Joe's discussion of foam being dissolved by fuel...but only briefly.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 1:48pm

Wouldn't the ballons get crushed?

Fill the ballons with water! The weight of the water will also hold them in place. You are going to use the slow rise foam so it really doesn't develope that much pressure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 2:29pm
guys, guys, guys, A channel through the foam for water to run through... super bad idea.
Greg you just saw what this foam will do with water, suck it up and keep a thin layer next to everything it is touching. If you put in foam then I say seal the sucker up and keep the water out. No foam then you need drainage channels. Now if you really want water running under your foam you need nothing less than a fiberglass channel between it and your foam. I would preform a semi circular piece of glass in a cardboard tube with mold release on it, then put it down and fiberglass it to the floor and stringer with some glass tape. but its still a bad idea imho.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 3:07pm
how about a 1' piece of pvc with a series of drain holes aimed down? for drainage
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

guys, guys, guys,

Joe,Joe,Joe, I have mentioned that I feel it is overkill but I also feel you are missing one important factor. The drain will allow the water to drain rather than holding the water agaist the foam.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

guys, guys, guys,

Joe,Joe,Joe, I have mentioned that I feel it is overkill but I also feel you are missing one important factor. The drain will allow the water to drain rather than holding the water agaist the foam.

Pete, I'm not seeing that happen, yes while it's on the trailer it might, but once it starts to wick into the foam your done. If you are going to add a drain then you have to connect it to the bilge area to give the water a place to go aka drain, but by doing that you are also give water from the bilge a path to the foam while your underway regardless of where the drain dumps out into the bilge.
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 4:24pm
Why cant you fbglass in a piece of tube with a wax on it and them pull it out? Then you would have a fbglass drain?
2001 SAN
"Python Powered"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 4:42pm
dains under the foam is realy a bad idea and going to create more problems than it solves. Either way you do it, your saying I didn't do a good job glassing in the stringers and replacing the floor so I better be prepared for water getting under the foam again. So I install tubing with holes, will then I've just created a path for water to soak the foam from day one. If I glass stuff in and lay foam over then all I've done is create an extra chamber for the bilge water to play in and it provides no means to drain anything from the foam and that's what your trying to do. Well the fact of the matter is you can't create, design or do anything that can drain water from the foam to the bilge without creating a direct path for water to get into the foam so any attemp to do so is only going to make matter worst than if you would have just left them out and worry about doing a good job glassing the deck to the stringers and freeboards. AKA drains in the foam are a waiste of time and a lose, lose sittuation no matter what you come up with.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 5:01pm
I will have to agree with 79 & Joe on the drainage. I feel it would have to drain to the bilge. If the bilge gets enough water in it with a storm, plug left out, whatever, the water will go the wrong way. I think it just leaves another way to get the water in the foam, not out. I have no doubt Greg will do a great job & have it all sealed up. It will probably outlast the factory job by years!
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 5:40pm
to foam or not to foam that is the question,

lets start a pro's and con's topic

with: you wont sink

without: save money, no future rot, actually if they are watertight compartmants you wont sink anyways because they will be bouyant, you can make storage compartments, please feel free to add.....
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

lets start a pro's and con's topic

with: you wont sink

Eric- He doesn't have to worry about sinking, the only thing he could sink it in around Lanier is the mud!
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

He doesn't have to worry about sinking, the only thing he could sink it in around Lanier is the mud!

Easy now...IIRC, you have more than 1 boat here on the mud hole that has gained 3+' recently. We pour our glasses half full around here!

OK, Chris has brought up an excellent point. What if I do have the intake on bacerds and oil goes everywhere...plus lake crud and things that grow in the dark. I'd want any of that where it could be cleaned!

I have been thinking about this being closed-cell foam(Pete, I'm using 2lb pour in for cost reasons) rather than what was in there, but I wasn't thinking about the bow sitting lower in the water like it will be. I have the mains leveled now and the floor is angled up a good bit relative to them...the floor will only have a slight nose up angle in the water.

Now I'm leaving out the weight I've removed...it may want to stand on its stern when I put it in?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

I will have to agree with 79 & Joe on the drainage. I feel it would have to drain to the bilge. If the bilge gets enough water in it with a storm, plug left out, whatever, the water will go the wrong way. I think it just leaves another way to get the water in the foam, not out. I have no doubt Greg will do a great job & have it all sealed up. It will probably outlast the factory job by years!

Again, as I understand it we are talking about a different type of foam(closed cell). The write up on the foam also says that continued contact would not be good. Thanks for the vote of confidence Cat!
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 24>
  Share Topic