NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tranny ball detent

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tranny ball detent
    Posted: April-05-2008 at 11:25pm
With tranny cable unhooked if I move the shift lever on the transmision from neutral towards reverse, the drive shaft doesn't stop moving until just before the ball detent sets into reverse. It's a velvet drive 1.1. Any ideas for adjustment so it's actually in neutral when it's in the neutral detent. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 11:12am
the only adjustments you'll have will be on the cable, can you be a little more clear? is the trans turning in nuetral? if its in the detent it should do what it is suppose to do, you shouldnt have to mopve the shift lever to get a clean nuetral or move it around to get it into gear. its pretty much cut and dry. are you trying this in the water or in your drive?
"the things you own will start to own you"
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 1:38pm
Eric thanks for responding. Yes it is in my drive. The trans is turning in neutral, and it's enough to move the boat in the water. At the end of last summer, I took the cable off in the water and same results. It is in gear on the forward and reverse detent, just not a clean neutral in center detent. The clean neutral is just before it goes in reverse.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 1:50pm
Time to pull the trans and ship it to Eric!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 1:55pm
your forward plates have a little warp in them from slippage, the reason it is stopping when shifting into reverse is because the reverse plates are starting to grab and stopping the shaft so it appears that you have nuetral. it is the start of a problem that will only worsen with time and becomes a safety issue with the man in the water's toe's.
what year boat and any history on the trans? it is pretty common, im seeing alot of mid 80's transmissions lately, or it may have been powered up with an low oil level slipping the plates and causing the warpage
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 1:58pm
I forgot, i can legally advertise now without hidden messages
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 2:38pm
I was afraid you guys were going to say that. Eric you may be seeing it sooner than I hoped. Yes it is a mid 80's, an 86 2001. Would any kind of synthetics prolong life? After the other winter fix ups and rebuilds a tranny repair would be pushing the budget.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 3:15pm
rip, The plates are warped from slippage. This warpage is causing them to touch. The touching is causing a dirty neutral. If a synthetic or additive adds slip so the plates don't grab then what happens? Slippage, heat, warpage and more grabbing! Bite the bullet and pull the trans. It will not get better.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 3:37pm
What Pete said...and on top of that, it'll quit at the worst possible time. Mine had the same symptoms and then quit right before a 4th of july party.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 4:03pm
How much are $$$$ are we talking guys. I'd like the challenge of rebuilding it myself, but before I do that, if I #**# it all up would you still be willing to work on it eric, or the parts to expensive to even take the chance. I would definetely be doing the rebuild with a repair manual and not from any past experiences. This great site may be making me way over confident. It's amazing the things I think I do after reading forums all week. I'm sure I'll get in way over my head before to long. I was taught it's not the mistakes you made but how fix it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 6:51pm
10-17 650.00 to 780.00, I always have to swap input shafts because of piiting and usually have to put pumps on them, it would have all the updates and steel reverse plates, bearings, return springs. I have an abundance of hard parts and always throw them in for guy's on the site....rarely do i get one to where i open it and all it needs are a re-seal and clutches. but if you want to post pics I'll walk you thru it.
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 9:36pm
eric I don't understand what the 10-17 is. Is the $780 if it needs the pump and input shaft? What do you figure the life on it is with your updates compared to the 600 hrs that is on it now?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by ripsaw ripsaw wrote:

Would any kind of synthetics prolong life?

In case Pete's response wasnt clear enough, DO NOT use synthetic oil in these transmissions. I have been told by Eric, SkiDIM and PCM themselves that synthetic oil is too slippery and will cause our wet clutch trannies to prematurely fail. This was in regards to my PCM box, but I assume that it holds true for the BW's as well. Stick with conventional Valvoline Dex/Merc.

Sound about right, Eric?
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2008 at 10:42pm
thanks trbenj I will do just that, I wasn't excited about $7.00 a quart on that stuff anyway.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 10:10am
TR, is on the money, there were never any issues with good old dexron mercon,
Rip, it all depends on how you take care of the trans, Ive seen them with 2500 hours on them and those get heavy use, time is a killer also on these transmissions, if they sit for long periods that is very hard on them,
The best thing you can do to these tranny's is use the bioat alot, change the oil once or twice a season, align them once a year, pattern yourself to wait for the trans to stop spinning when shifting, make sure you have a good damper and a good running engine to match (no misses). these are all factors that will extend the life of these transmissions
it was common to see 3000 hours on Coast Guard transmissions (some used Borg Warner's) and they were maintained as you can imagine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 10:18am
rip, they usually need pumps and rarely do you find a 25 year old trans in good shape, it will need hard parts and $780. is a cap.
input shafts for these tranyy's are around $350, but i send mine to the hard chromer and grind to size, pumps are $225 and as you buy parts the total adds up.
its common for someone to spend 600.00 in parts when they do them at home.....and then they leave a snap ring out and it goes for round 2 lol   eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 11:02am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Time to pull the trans and ship it to Eric!!!

We have heard of some disasters here with the DIY! I feel you should do some thinking about doing it yourself. I'm mechanically inclined, have rebuilt several engines, and I do have the Velvet manual. I'd still ship my trans to Eric!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 11:49am
Pete, you on a retainer? lol
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 8:38pm
eric I'm going to pull it out and send it your way, who do I call to ship something that heavy? I dont think ups will go over 75lbs or so. Do you want it boxed up in a wood crate?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 8:57pm
98lbs   ups or fed ex takes up to 150 lbs but dont go to a ups store they will hammer you, wood is fine, or in a milk crate and a box around it
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2008 at 9:07pm
boy that was quick, now if I could only get it out that fast. Thanks eric hopefully you wll see it before to long, I'm heading to the garage to start on it.
taxabel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:39am
Sometime around 20 years ago I was told to use Valvoline ATF type FA. After reading this, I'm been mis-informed. Should I drain this out and switch?    
84raidertique
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:49am
You got me, all I did was ask a simple tranny ?, and next thing I knew I was pulling it out and sending to eric.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:06am
the type fa has an additive to help the plates clamp together harder...lets say it is the complete opposite of full synthetic, in the high HP trannys we recommended using the type f, and i dont know if you can even find it, switching to a universal dex/merc is fine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:09am
taxabal, where did you find type fa? it wont hurt a thing, type fa was mainly used in the graphite plate trasnmssions and has no bearing on the bronze type plates, the point is you made the effort to change the oil and the books do say type fa, so keep using it if you have access to it
taxabel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 4:09pm
I purchased this stuff a long time ago and have three quarts of it in my garage. By reading your comments they must have stopped making it.
84raidertique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2008 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by ripsaw ripsaw wrote:

eric I don't understand what the 10-17 is.

That there is good enough reason alone to send it out.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 6:44pm
Eric Lavine,
Shipped a transmission to you yesterday. It will be in a Dewalt box with a Linn County return address. The address to ship back to is:
Randy Brown
121 Fairview Drive
Manchester, Iowa 52057
86 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 12:31am
noted
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 12:35am
Send me a damper plate too please.
86 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic