Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Teak platform

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Laheyth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laheyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Teak platform
    Posted: June-15-2007 at 1:35pm
I have a 1984 2001 boat, the teak is shot, I live in Florida, and it is oxidized to the point where so much wood is missing the screws stick out.
I am thinking of replicating it from TREX, a plastic lumber, does any one have any experience with this material?
The boat stays on a lift so I think it might be ok.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 2:02pm
TREX may be called a lumber but it is by no means structrual. It will sag, especially in the heat. If you didn't want to go with the teak again, take a look at Ipe. It was also known as ironwood. It is really rot resistant and holds up in outdoor environments for many years. The only problem is it is so dense, it doesn't float, if your platform comes off it will sink. But it really shouldn't come off.

Do a search under my user name, there are some pictures of the platform that I made out of Ipe.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 3:07pm
I will second the Ipe choice. It is a renewable plantation grown wood. It is also oily like teak and even looks like it. You may have a hard time finding it in 5/4 or 6/4 thickness. You'll have to look at a hardwood lumber supply.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 3:12pm
I used 4/4 that I had left over from my Ipe deck. I don't think that 6/4 would be needed. That's pretty thick. Unless the original platform uses 6/4. I don't know as I didn't have an original to compare.
1978 Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 6:32pm
MM, You are absolutely correct that the 4/4 will do it. I was thinking it was thicker but it is only double thickness at the edges.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Laheyth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laheyth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 10:03pm
This model has 2 layers of (measures 7/8) wood in the platform, I am sure the plastic would be ok, based upon some of the TREX docks on the lake..... plus, for $28 in materials, if I decide it was a mistake.....oh well.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2007 at 6:53am
Laheyth, I'm not a plastic type person. I can't even stand laminate flooring!! Some cautions with the Trex. You can't glue or epoxy it. The base material of polyethyene (old milk bottles) is what glue bottle are made from too. That's so the glue won't stick to it's own container. It also doesn't hold screws very well. With two layers of 7/8, you will only have 3/4" of the threaded end of the screw holding and that's not much. You have seen docks made from it but if you look closer, I'll bet the structure (joists) under the Trex decking is wood and that's what the screws are going into plus with lots more than 3/4" of thread engagement.

You are going to put in all this time and effort to make the new platform and I feel the extra cost of doing it in wood is minimal. If you want to make it twice that's up to you but I encourage you to do it correctly with wood the first time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2007 at 8:51am
If you are keeping the boat I think you would be much happier with wood. Teak will hold up remarkably well with proper care every year.

But, whatever floats your boat.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 11:04am
Exactly, the trex is only used as a decking material. Those docks you see are only skinned with the trex. They have wood structures beneath. The wood is the structural support without it, you will have a platform that's like a noodle. Add a hot environment, like FL and you will have a cooked noodle. If you want to build a wood substructure and then skin it with trex that would work. If you go that for, why not go all wood.
1978 Nautique

Mark P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2007 at 5:48pm
Tom, Southeast Correct Craft told me a new fiberglass boarding platform is about $1500 for a new board. Mark
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2007 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Mark P Mark P wrote:

Tom, Southeast Correct Craft told me a new fiberglass boarding platform is about $1500 for a new board. Mark

I looked into this as well. I was quoted $1350. None the less anything in the $1500 range seems too high to me for a swim platform, but thats coming froma 19 year old with a low paying job

"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2007 at 10:21pm
Here's what I did for my platform, and it may also work for you. I have an older boat and a limited budget, so I wanted to be cheap but still have a good platform. So, I watched eBay for swim platforms, of all sizes. Eventually, one came up that was huge, from a large sailboat. It was 8' long! It was only two hours away, and the seller was requiring local pickup. It didn't sell, so I contacted him and got the platform for $160, below his asking price.

Typically, platforms are not glued together, only screwed. This is so you can take it apart and oil it every year. This was the case with my platform. So, I took it apart and cut it down to size for my boat, then put it back together. The end result is a pretty nice platform that only set my back $160. Plus, I have plenty of left over pieces for repairs later on since the original was so big.

Here's a picture of my boat with the platform on. I think it turned out pretty well.

If you decide to go with trex, keep in mind you'll have to support it like a deck, every 16" at a minimum. Anything more than that and it will sag noticeably when you put weight on it. It may not show up much in the water, because the whole boat moves to compensate for the weight, but I'd be curious to know how it turns out if you try it.

If I were to try trex, I would get four swim platform brackets (to give it the support trex would need) on the back of the boat and then through bolt (not screw) the trex to the brackets. Basically, you would have a permanent structure with a disposable decking. If you put four 6" wide pieces of trex lengthwise on the brackets, then put similar pieces crosswise, it might work out okay. But you would definitely need the additional brackets in the middle to make it work. The brackets would drive up the initial investment, but then you could just toss out the trex every season instead of oiling or refinishing wood.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 2:01am
Trex is horrible, it swells and moves, and changes way to much- Don't waste your time. I would grind the screws down before rebuilding with a recycled material.
gb842001
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 9:34am
I've heard that iroco is a poor man's teak as well. It doesn't have the rich brown color, but does darken with oil. It's also murder on saw blades and I haven't seen a recent price, so this may not be good info.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 1:48pm
Ok Greg, The "iroco" is a new one on me. Is it similar to the ipe (Brazilian Walnut)? With all the restrictions on the importing of certain hardwoods these days, it seems they bring in a new one or change the name of it every week!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 2:18pm
I have used iron wood on exterior decks of super high end houses and is is really heavy, it can span 2ft, and is beautiful. I dont know how it holds up sitting in the water, but it seems like a good choice of material, 100 times better then trex.

Sorry to start up an old topic, I was searching for teak restoration and started to read this post and I responded before realizing it was from June of 07.
gb842001
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2008 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ok Greg, The "iroco" is a new one on me. Is it similar to the ipe (Brazilian Walnut)? With all the restrictions on the importing of certain hardwoods these days, it seems they bring in a new one or change the name of it every week!

I know what you mean about the names changing. Not for the same reasons, but there are 3+ common names for many saltwater aquarium fish. This can make for a long day.

The iroko is an older name I think. It's in several of my reference books. I haven't worked with brazilian walnut so I'm not sure on that. It has calcium carbonate pockets in it where I think teak is silica, but it doesn't mind getting wet. A friend used it on his sailboat and with a little stain the results were sharp. He stained it to look like teak, but I thought some of the stock he had was nice enough for parts of a small box(I use clear finishes)...medium yellow with a slight iridescence. The stuff I didn't like was an unremarkable brown. Iroko also has lighter grain.

Ha...me catching you up on something?!!? Me too, I corrected the spelling!
LOL!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 3:15pm
Just for future referencing on this site, I found teak on a site called hardwoodtogo.com. You can buy 6/4 and they fave strips of teak also, it is spendy!
gb842001
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 3:49pm
Ski boats should have teak platforms, IMO.
A well oiled, good looking teak platform is like the finishing touch on the ski boat.

Can you replace the screws with shorter versions and sand/ repair/ refinish the teak?

Teak platforms pop up on eBay every once in a while..

-Brad
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 4:23pm
Call these guys for teak products:Teak World
615-444-7269.
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2008 at 11:42pm
Brad - I couldn't agree more, a well kept swim step will a lot of times mean a well kept boat. (not always)

Riley - Thanks for the teak world clue I'll keep it in mind if I ever need teak, Thanks
gb842001
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 12:44am
Pete, you're just around the corner from Owl hardwood aren't you? That's where I get the majority of my lumber and although I haven't been there in a while they always had a good stock of Ipe and Teak. This will sound strange to a non woodworker but I've spent several hours looking through their racks many times.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 12:47am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I've spent several hours looking through their racks many times.

I sure enjoy lookin' at a great rack too Alan.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
baumanmt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baumanmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 2:31am
you guys are to funny - and Alan, I can relate, I'm a carpenter and love nice material.     

Greg
gb842001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 11:47am

Pete, you're just around the corner from Owl hardwood aren't you? I've spent several hours looking through their racks many times.

Alan, I'm surprised we haven't run into each other! I hit Owl on my way home from work. I need to stop next week for some White Oak. I'm making new rear sprays rails for the X55. Water got under them. The port had some rot but both turned black. I bleached and stained but the originals were blond so I'm just remaking them. I'm also making a set for Craig (64X55). He is probably several years from needing them but I'll just make the two sets now.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2008 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Pete, you're just around the corner from Owl hardwood aren't you? I've spent several hours looking through their racks many times.

Alan, I'm surprised we haven't run into each other! I hit Owl on my way home from work.

I hit the Lombard store Pete, much closer for me although not as big as the one near you.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic