NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 24>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 10:45am
Thanks Pete...I was afraid you'd say that. It seems like it wouldn't be too much to ask for some of this to be at workbench height...but nooo, that would be way too easy?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 11:00am
Greg, You have more ply to go in - How about pre glassing them before they go in the hull?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 11:32am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, You have more ply to go in - How about pre glassing them before they go in the hull?

That would've been the way to go on that front bulkhead, but it would take an act of congress to get it out now. The picture doesn't show the depth very well, but I have to be completely under the bow to work on it...definately not an OSHA approved workstation. Live and learn; otherwise it's going pretty well. I hope to get the port stringer back in today.
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 11:51am
Does Greg have an accent?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 11:53am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Does Greg have an accent?

Howdy Eric!   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 12:36pm
some guy yelled at me for stirring up intelligent conversations    lol
just tryin to keep the thread alive
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 1:06pm
Eric, are you yanking my chain about what I said on Joe's thread? That was a softly asked question...no more.

And what's all this about intelligent conversation?!!? Are you trying to give people the wrong impression? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 1:08pm
Greg,
You got a phone # that I can call you since your a local guy. I can blog a response and my suggestions but I think a conversation might work better. Looks great so far....   
"Your a better man than I am Charlie Brown."
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 1:18pm
Thanks Tim! My # is 770-536-2328. If you're going to call soon, give me at least 30 mins for the phone to charge.
1988 BFN-sold

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 1:24pm
Cell Phone I presume???? Who are you using? Verizon? At&T?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 1:31pm
It's my land line...the remote is due for a battery. I have a cell, but I can't hardly stand using it; guess I'm stuck in yesteryear.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 2:06pm
Greg, you know me better than that,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Greg, you know me better than that,

Exactly!!!   LMAO
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 3:58pm
Here's my redneck clamping job; the bucket has a logging chain in it and the paint cans are full of granddaddy's bent nails from years ago. On the far right is his anchor for a boat he built in the early 50's. Yep, it's a chunk of lead and he was frugal!   

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 7:34pm
Greg, I knew that I would eventually ask you this question but waited until I saw the first stringer picture. How many sanding discs have you used on the random orbit so far? (I did notice it on the plywood too!)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 9:58pm

Greg, I knew that I would eventually ask you this question but waited until I saw the first stringer picture. How many sanding discs have you used on the random orbit so far? (I did notice it on the plywood too!)

Ha! I don't own a R/O sander and I hate the replacement cost of those disks. LOL

I think you and Eric have both made a project of yanking my chain...which is fair considering the help I've gotten from both of you!   

Jointer, planer, T saw, and router...I didn't go over them with the 16 grit as suggested, but I did go over them lightly with 50. That 16 is hateful and I was worried about getting air pockets.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 10:16pm
Greg, Yes, I was giving you a hard time! I know what a perfectionist you are and I too am accused of being one as well! The wood is looking awfully good and I'm sure you sort of hate to cover it up with glass.
Don't worry about roughing it up with the 16. First, you are not using polyester which really doesn't like to stick to wood (that's where the rough up suggestion is coming from) and second, you have the CPES as a penetrating primer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 9:18am
You're a hard man McGee! LOL

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 9:37am
A buffalo's first stringer...

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 11:38am

Greg, Yes, I was giving you a hard time! I know what a perfectionist you are and I too am accused of being one as well! The wood is looking awfully good and I'm sure you sort of hate to cover it up with glass.
Don't worry about roughing it up with the 16. First, you are not using polyester which really doesn't like to stick to wood (that's where the rough up suggestion is coming from) and second, you have the CPES as a penetrating primer.

It is kinda hard to cover it up with the sticky goo, but it's also nice to know it's in there and well protected as a result of some good advice from a friend! And keep on giving me a hard time...it keeps me straight and is often a smile in the morning!

I just was up in the garage cutting glass and reaching for the gloves when I thought about this post?!!? LOL

By the way, I've seen a few MD's on here...what's the trick to snapping those gloves on?

I also talked with Morfoot yesterday; he's a super nice guy with a few good ideas up his sleeve! Thanks Tim
1988 BFN-sold

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 2:16pm
Pleasure was mine Greg. I will say if I ever need some interior hull work done, you'll be the first guy that I call on. "I got your number dude!"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Pleasure was mine Greg. I will say if I ever need some interior hull work done, you'll be the first guy that I call on. "I got your number dude!"

Tim, the caterpillar dance is working well...but I have no idea why you'd want me to do glass work for you...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 9:59pm
Rodger said I should get after posting these pics before the knackered got on me... LOL

These blocks are roughly 3"x5" and they soaked up a bunch of CPES(~4 oz). This will fix something that always bothered me; the screws in the lift eye will be tight now!

Getting it all lined up...

I'll try the engine cradle tomorrow...maybe it'll fit?

1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2008 at 11:54pm
Awesome Greg.....even tho there is NO way I'd ever try something like this...I still enjoy watching and reading. Thanks for taking the extra effort to take pictures and keep us guys enterained.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 5:24am
Greg you work looks absolutely awesome. Your boat will be better than new when you are done. That epoxy and new wood will give you a very strong and stiff hull.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 6:44am
Thanks John!

Thanks Brian, the 'new' side is already stronger than the other side.

That brings up a question...if something can't bend, it'll break; generally. Is it possible to have the hull too rigid?
1988 BFN-sold

saffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 7:08am
wow, i hope i never have to do this, or do all SN owners have to eventually end up doing this?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 7:48am
Greg, It will still bend and flex as needed. I certainly wouldn't worry about anything breaking.

Saffer, Eventually the stringer job will be needed on any boat with wood. Some just sooner than others. It is the opportunity to do it the correct way. Something the factory didn't do!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 10:14am
BuffaloBFN
Great Job, I am feeling better already.
Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 10:40am
Thanks Roger, and glad to hear it. I'm also smiling this morning...it fits! Not only does it fit, but it fits better than I dared hope for.

1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1213141516 24>
  Share Topic