NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617 24>
Author
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 12:59pm
Man Greg, you need to pick up the pace a little. It is hitting the 80's around here!
Just giving you a hard time. Looking good man!
Greg

86 BFN
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Man Greg, you need to pick up the pace a little. It is hitting the 80's around here!
Just giving you a hard time. Looking good man!

LOL   It's killing me...the weather is nice and the lake's up a little, and I'm sweating in my tyvek suit.   

I'm hoping the other stringer goes a little quicker though...now that I've done 1 there should be fewer unknowns! I do already have the other stringer on the garage floor now, but I'll have to break to other duties soon. Amy will be the first to tell you that I've neglected some of my work during all this, and if I don't cut the grass soon I'll have to send out for some sheep?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 4:16pm
Greg I wish I had grass to cut. I'm out here in the desert in Maricopa, AZ. Landscape around here is mostly rock coverage.

The cradle looks right at home sitting on the new stringer. It's a shame you have to cover up that nice looking wood.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 4:34pm
Greg,
    You have done some amazing things. I have a question. How do you glue the wood to the floor? Is the bottom of the wood not glass? I haven't seen any drainage hole. Is that on purpose or are you doing them later?. Last, Did you glass over the foam? I am taking notes just in case when is if my time. Thanks for sharing this.

Anthony
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 5:38pm
Most welcome Anthony! I've enjoyed sharing this project and I do hope it will help someone, but I also want to say that sharing it has helped me 2-fold. The obvious is all of the great info I've gotten from so many here on the site(I had an auto fuel pump on my first boat and feel free to project from there! LOL), and the other is that little push I seem to get just when I need it! I enjoy the chain yanking and the good group here...yall are the best!

I should be doing a better job of documenting what I'm doing; Once I got the stringer fitted in, I marked an outline on the floor with a sharpie and the put down a layer of mat. Then I set it in place with gauge blocks and spacers that took the place of glass. After I was happy with where it was, I mixed filler with mill fiber, talc, and cabosil. I then followed with mat, 6oz cloth, and the biaxial that you can see in the pics. I did glass over the foam. That whole area is basically 1 unit now. There are no drainage holes except for a little thing I did where the cradle sits. It used to hold trash between the stringer and the frame...no more! LOL   I intend to use foam under the floor and seal it tight!!!
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 8:13pm
Anthony, I'd like to add to Greg's explanation. When he started the project, it was discussed the two different methods. The route he took was foam in and seal tight without drains. The other is no foam with drains under all the wood. (cutouts fiberglassed of coarse)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 9:03pm
To add to that Pete, I've got a friend who's been helping me along who thinks I'm making a water trap up front and maybe wherever else as well. I'm thinking of modifying my earlier idea to include a threaded bulkhead and a hose barb connected to a line that runs to the accessible part of the bilge and terminates in a valve. I'm thinking I'll add this to all of the 'boxes'.
1988 BFN-sold

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 9:54pm
You guys got me thinking about all this. I like the foam completly glassed but I wonder if there is a risk of trapping the water. I guess the whole back floor will be water tight. Also, I am thinking about how strong the fiberglass is on top of the foam. I know I have done RC airplane wings this way. It is a very interesting approach Greg is taking. Also, it looks like it will be solid. I can tell a lot thought has been given to this project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 10:11pm
Anthony, for the most part I am going back just as the factory did...including the glassed over foam as the tie between the mains and secondaries. I'm using the same structure that CC did, but I have the luxury of a little more time and of having an unfortunate personality disorder that seems to come in handy on this job?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2008 at 11:15pm
with the disease some collect things and store in the house and normally there will only be pathways to get to somwhere in the house. coming along nicely Greg
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 7:28am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

unfortunate personality disorder

By now hopefully Amy knows about this correct?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 9:33am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

unfortunate personality disorder

By now hopefully Amy knows about this correct?

LOL   She's still trying to decide what color she wants her rubber room to be?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 10:25am
Most of our older Aussie built ski boats did not use any flotation foam at all. Under the floors we just use them as air pockets with a bung in the rear of the transom to drain any water that gets in there.

In fact I can't think of any new aussie ski boats that use foam either!

I must say I like the idea of the foam as a safety issue if you hole the hull and the boat tries to sink. The air pocket design will do this to some degree as long as the hole in the hull is not in the air pocket.

I'm going to drill holes in the bottom of the stringers in my 2001 to check their condition.

If a stringer job is required I think I will go with the air pocket design and bungs in the transom. Could even use the seacast method of stringer replacement and do in floor ballast.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2008 at 1:36pm
Wao!

Mark that Seacast product looks very interesting. I really would like to see somebody using it. If it works like they say it can be really amazing. I wonder how strong is the product and the stringer they produce. If anybody else is interested take a lookt at their website. This can be the cure for those people like me that can't even cut a 2x4 straight.

Stringers with Seacast
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 11:02am
Anthony
Yeh the seacast method looks much simpler. I think the downfalls are that it is heavier than timber and more expensive. If it turns out that the boat I intend to sell requires a stringer job I will probably go this way as it is set up for wakeboarding with tower. The extra weight of the seacast would be an advantage here and with no timber in stringers would be able to use under floor ballast another plus for wakeboarders.

Buffalo

More pics please. Your thread has been a pleasure to follow. Look forward to seeing your progress everyday with associated pics.

The timber you used "Douglas Fir" what type of timber is this. I just googled it and it looks to be a pine of some type. I dont think we can get this timber in Aus. Would Oregon timber be OK for stringer replacement??
Although good Oregon is getting very hard to find. Most of the timber we get nowdays seems to still have leaves on it!
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 2:11pm
If the Oregon wood you mention is from the state of Oregon in the US, Then more than likely it is Douglas Fir. Most dimension lumber that is milled on the west coast is Douglas fir. On the east coast its mostly pine. That is why it can be difficult for us on the east coast to get fir for stringer projects
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Buffalo

More pics please. Your thread has been a pleasure to follow. Look forward to seeing your progress everyday with associated pics.

Thanks mate! This worldwide thing is pretty cool. I haven't been to your country, but my dad just got back and said he'd be there if not here...and you guys sure know how to make a leather hat and an oilskin jacket(superfine)...my favorite in both departments!!!

The timber you used "Douglas Fir" what type of timber is this. I just googled it and it looks to be a pine of some type.

It is a conifer/softwood like pine but much stronger and with straighter grain. I'll go with nc2001 on what he said if your oregon wood came from here.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 11:10pm
Here's a little fodder for the seacast discussion. The main stringer is 10.8 lbs.

Here's the starboard stringers traced from the port side. This sped the process, but I still cut them large and trimmed from there. The blue cup is a blue cup; the grey is a mill fiber insert...strong stuff.

I really hope I don't have to eat these words...almost too easy setting this 1 home. What looks like a big gap on the bottom is my sharpie line. I fit the stringer closely to the hull and glued it down with mat. The ply in the rear is something I debated. It was in decent shape, so I drilled it with a 3/8" bit to help it dry and then soaked it with CPES. Part of me wanted to replace it, but most of me knew that I didn't fit under there very well?!!?   LOL

1988 BFN-sold

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 1:15pm
Yes nc2001 was right after more research found that what we call Oregon is "Douglas Fir". I cant believe for 2 counties that speak the same language our terminology can be so different. I built my first house 25 years ago with Oregon exposed beams. It was beautiful straight grained timber. The hardware store (US lumber yard) actually called it Canadian Oregon.
Most of our Oregon now comes from New Zealand and is no where near the quality of the Canadian Oregon. Not as straight grained with lots more knots showing. I suppose it all relates to the age of the timber. Most of the old growth timber is now long gone.

Buffalo
10.8lbs is very light I think Seacast will be
be much heavier than that.
What size did your stingers end up?
Did I read it right that you started with 8X4 rough sawn? It looks more like 8X2 in pictures.
I ask this because 5 gallons of Seacast will fill 1000 cu inches and at $210.00 it is not cheap. At 8x2 that is still only just over 5' of stringer for $210.00. Not sure of the weight of the 5 gallon bucket. But considering 5 gallons of water is over 40lbs they are going to be heavy stringers.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2008 at 1:51pm

Buffalo
It looks more like 8X2 in pictures. At 8x2 that is still only just over 5' of stringer for $210.00

Lewy, Seems there is another issue with the language difference from down under to the states!!

Greg purchased 8/4 meaning in the rough cut state, the lumber is 8 quarters of a inch thick or 2". It is not a width measurement. It is typically used for hard woods and high end soft wood thickness. A 8/4 thickness after drying and planing will be 1&1/2" thick.

The seacast will be heavy!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 9:34am
Lewy, Pete is correct on the 8/4. In plain terms they started as 2 x 6's. They are 129.5" long, 1 & 11/16ths thick and almost 4" at their tallest point.

I looked at seacast and others in the beginning looking for an easy out, but in the end it made better sense not to reinvent the wheel.

I bet you're living room looks nice with the exposed beam construction...would the little lady miss 2 of them?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 10:00am

I bet you're living room looks nice with the exposed beam construction...would the little lady miss 2 of them?!!?

Greg, That's a great idea! Hey, do they get any snow down under?

Getting back to the Seacast, you may find that getting the old stringers out of the glass is not as easy as you would think. You will end up having to do a lot of rebuilding of the original glass to use as a casting form. The cut-outs in the tops of the stringers will need to be glassed over (capped) so the pour will go higher. I'm just not convinced that the Seacast is the way to go. Especially with the weight issue.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 10:27am
i havnt visited the patch lately, just making a social call
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 10:34am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i havnt visited the patch lately, just making a social call

Yall come back now, ya hear?

Your CD is in the works.
1988 BFN-sold

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 10:48am
Not much snow in Aus but it is starting to cool down now winter is approaching.
My list of winter projects is growing.

Shame I sold that house with exposed beams. Everytime I looked at the ceiling I would have been looking for the best piece to use as a stringer.

Greg thanks for the dimensions on the stringers at 4" x 2" should get 1 stringer from 5 gallon bucket. But they will be at least 4 times heavier than timber.

Peter I'm also not sure Seacast is the best method. I have yet to drill the bottom of stringers in 87. If they show rot I will remove floor and see how easy it will be to get rotten timber out and leave behind fiberglass shell. I will decide at this stage which method of stringer replacement will be used. The cut outs in the stringers will provide problems also as stated.

The 87 I'm planning to sell so looking at the simplest & most economical way to repair if required.

If my 89 required stringer replacement I would probably go with timber because of the weight factor. Even though I do board I like to have a high speed swerving run at the end of every day out on the water.

89 Ski

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 11:00am

If they show rot I will remove floor and see how easy it will be to get rotten timber out and leave behind fiberglass shell.

I'll try to get a pic up tonight of the 2 old stringers. Seeing how they were done may talk you out of it. The factory did not skimp on glass!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 12:08pm
Id visit more often, but its a long ride to get here
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Id visit more often, but its a long ride to get here

All the way accross the mouse pad?!!?

Must be that hangnail!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 8:01pm
Lewy, along with what Pete was saying, these have 2 'tops'. I think the factory put them in the same way I am. You can see foam between the layers.
1. Glue the stringer down
2. Glass it in
3. Glue the secondary stringer in
4. Glass it in
5. Fill the void with foam
6. glass them both in together

I sanded my foam to fit so there isn't a '2nd' layer, but I had to adjust the height of the stringer to make it up.

1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 8:05pm
You've done an outstanding job documentating of this thread. Sorry I missed it last Friday!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1314151617 24>
  Share Topic