NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Disaster Strikes

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 2:04pm
A increase in diameter,pitch,blade surface area and the addition of cup will decrease WOT RPM and hole shot. Then the converse holds true. Prop selection has always been a "try it and see what happens" although we do have lots of data like Tim's that does simplify things. Too bad we are having a problem with the search.

There is a issue with the search and I did post the problem so Keith and or Brad can look into it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

The 470 is 12.5x15 w/ .105 cup and the 1442 is 13.25x15 w/.90 cup.

Are these two compairable because of the different cup, even with the diameter difference?

Adam, the 1442 will turn a little less RPM due to the greater diameter. Both props are great, but Id give the nod to the 470 on a stock 240hp engine, as the increased revs help performance a bit. I was able to turn a 470 ~4600RPM with my stock engine. I expect you'd see something similar once youre all tuned up.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 4:25pm
Thanks for the info.

Just got off the phone with the adjuster. The estimate is $3650. That is basically for tracking fins, shaft, prop, rudder, minor gel work, and interior repair and clean from salvage effort.
Then she hit me with the bomb that it would take upwords of a month to get it done.

That made up my mind really quick. I called SECC and schedualed an appointment for the 28th. Brian said he could have the work done in about a week. So we are talking about the same time frame and the work will be done by people I trust.

Any of you guys in Orlando want to get a few runs in that night? I think I may need a quick fix by then!

Thanks guys, I will keep you updated when i hear more.

Adam
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 4:36pm
How hard is it to replace or add to the trailer guides? boat dr, do i just rip the carpet off and srcrew a 1/4 down to the existing and recarpet?

Thanks Shawn

My dad recommended a plasma torch!!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 4:58pm
this here is a perfect example of the right choice for an insurance company, the transmission should be pulled and inspected.
my rule of the thumb with insurance companies is: the more popular the insurance companies name the more popular the problems you will have collecting from them.
Accidents do happen and this is a great example of an accident and a great example of why you need insurance.
Banks borrow money from insurance companies and the persona out there is everybody is afraid to use it when you need it and most of all making sure you get the quality repairs, by quality people... i sure as *************** aint gonna take my chrysler to the chevy dealer for repairs and im sure SECC will perform the repairs 100%
"the things you own will start to own you"
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 9:26pm
I agree Eric. That is one thing that I took away from our conversation the other night. As soon as this is repaired, I will be shopping for a better insurance company. Progressive has not given me a hard time about collecting money, more just not wanting to do the job correctly, like you said.
Boats:
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 9:40pm
just trying to educate everyone on the insurance gig, the big namers, Progressive, Allstate, nationwide have adjusters everywhere and the thing you want to avoid is an adjuster coming to look at the boat, they will depreciate it, they will try telling the repair shop how much they are willing to pay you per hour to work on a customers boat, they will source used parts, rebuilt props and so on.
read your policies carefully and go after a company that specializes in boat insurance and the reason being is they have a better understanding of the repairs needed to make the boat correct, these are the companies that will hire a surveyor or go on the repair shops word of other possibilities of other problems that may arise, they wont send a car adjuster to beat up the estimate as to what they are use to doing day in and day out
"the things you own will start to own you"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 10:55am
Originally posted by shawnmc shawnmc wrote:

How hard is it to replace or add to the trailer guides? boat dr, do i just rip the carpet off and srcrew a 1/4 down to the existing and recarpet?

Thanks Shawn

Shawn, I would pull the old bunks and start over. A new 2x4 and 1x4 sandwich covered with new carpet. Treated wood and S/S bolts will finish that little project.......Boat dr
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by shawnmc shawnmc wrote:

[/QUOTE]

I say if you have a plasma cutter than cut the back two attachment points of the guard off and weld in some spacers, heck even with a grinding wheel I could have that whole job done in an hour, painted in two. It all depends on what tools you have available, a few ways to skin that cat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 12:47pm
Pete-
You were right about the lifting. I got the boat back from the other marina and started cleaning it up. I was looking at the front lifting ring and noticed that one of the screw heads was broken off. The lifting ring was kind of rotating around the other screw.

What is under that ring? What secures it to the bow? With the open bow, it is extremely hard to get to, so I can not see under there.
Boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2008 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

Pete-
You were right about the lifting. I got the boat back from the other marina and started cleaning it up. I was looking at the front lifting ring and noticed that one of the screw heads was broken off. The lifting ring was kind of rotating around the other screw.

What is under that ring? What secures it to the bow? With the open bow, it is extremely hard to get to, so I can not see under there.

The lifting ring goes down to a mount on the stem. It is not fastened to the deck. Any spider cracking in the deck around the hole? Yes, I understand the frustrations of under deck work on a open bow!!
So, you picked it up. Did they do the work?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 10:24am
No they did not do any work. I am taking it to SECC on the 28th. It will still be fixed in the same amount of time anyway. So over to SECC it will go. I will make sure to point that out to the guys down there and let them mess with the ring.

The shop did leave the coupling apart between the trans and drive shaft. I would say that they are off by about 1".
Boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 11:27am
Adam, Glad to hear it's going to SECC! Did you end up fighting with the insurance company? Did the I/O shop admit they couldn't handle it? Just curious what happened.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 5:09pm
They never did admit that they could not handle it. I was talking with the adjuster and she was saying how they were waiting on prices for parts from SECC and that if the trans needed to be inspected they would have to send it somewhere and it was going to take a month to get all the parts and get it fixed...

I just told her to forget it and I would take it directly to the source at SECC. She said OK. She even told me that I should tell Woody that I am still going to need the parts, just now SECC would do the repair not them.

It is just too bad that I had to hit a pile of rocks during the busiest time for SECC and I have to go boatless for a month.
Boats:
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2008 at 11:48pm
But when that month is over I bet you'll feel better that Woody and the guys at SECC had it.

Would like to help you out with a ski "fix" for ya while she is down but Lake Wales is a far piece from Jacksonville.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2008 at 10:25am
Absolutly!

Thanks for the thought on the "fix".

Someday, I am sure I will take you up on it.
Boats:
tjeffery72Mus. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 11:43pm
You told me to check this out and I had remembered seeing something about it before, but from what I can tell, this really was alot worse compared to what happened to me, that really is just a bad deal man...
The Guy.

emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 12:25pm
Just read this whole thread. Glad to hear the mishap is getting repaired properly. I have beached a SN twice! It is scary. Both times on sand, so the damage was minimal. Our lake is 9ft down and this thread has reinforced my desire to stay out of the ski coves and live in the middle with the tubers for the summer.
When I had to get my boat off of the sand, we tied a line to the ski pole and to another SN. Several people got on the other side of the boat and rolled it up on the side to get the skegs and prop out of the mud and drug it sideways to deep water.
I was lucky, I had my family in the boat, 8 YO on the slalom going about 25mph. My 3yo was in the back seat, thank the Lord she was behind the motor and was thrown into the cover. My wife went all the way into the drivers seat. I was on the side and ate the windshield. My son was laying in the bow, and stayed in the boat. My parents (70yo)were in the observer seat, and did fine. Boats can be replaced. Funny thing, my daughter who was skiing was yelling "why are we stopping, I'm not tired". While we were waiting the kids were having a great time pretending they were walking on water...it was ankle deep in the middle of the lake (unmarked!) and still unmarked.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 10:47am
Yeah, everything worked out OK. I just dropped the boat off last weekend, and I can't pick it up until 6/21 because I will be out of town the next two weekends. I am glad no one was hurt, no unfixable damage, and SECC is doing a few extra things that I was wanting to get around to.

Definetly a hard way to learn, but the overall experiance was not too bad.
Boats:
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:18pm
Pete/Tim-
I really value your advice on the props. When I dropped off the boat, I explained that I wanted to get a different prop for it and mentioned the Acme 470. When I spoke to Woody, he said he was not sold on the Acme props yet and recomended the 4 blade OJ. He said that would give me a better hole shot and a smoother ride and said the RPM's should come up with the tune up to give a higher top speed.

I don't know which way to go! Like I said, I value your advice and experiance as well as Woody's.

I have no experiance with any of these props so I need to lean on you guys a bit. I do mostly skiing, a lot of cruising, and a little boarding. I just want a prop to give me the best all around performance. Also, keep in mind that I am doing a complete tune up as well ( hopefully bring the RPMs back to at least 4400).

What are the pros/cons of the 3 blade and 4 blade.

Thanks,
Adam
Boats:
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 1:29pm
Adam, I liked the OJ 4-blade, but I think it will be too much prop for you. The 3-blade Acme's offer less pitch and will outperform the OJ all around on your boat.

Generally speaking, 3-blades are faster on the top end, and 4-blades are faster out of the hole. With the large blade surface area of the Acme 3-blades, the difference out of the hole is negligible compared to the 4, but they still have a top speed advantage.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Adam, I liked the OJ 4-blade, but I think it will be too much prop for you. The 3-blade Acme's offer less pitch and will outperform the OJ all around on your boat.

Generally speaking, 3-blades are faster on the top end, and 4-blades are faster out of the hole. With the large blade surface area of the Acme 3-blades, the difference out of the hole is negligible compared to the 4, but they still have a top speed advantage.

but why did you loose to the OJ proped boat's at GL?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 2:01pm
Not to rain on your advice Timmy BUT........
Woody has been around these boats for longer than most on this site has breathed.
His knowledge is beyond reproach ,personally think of him both as a friend and a venue of experience.
30 plus years with one brand of boat carries a lot of weight in my small pea brain.He has the personality of a porcupine, but will not steer you wrong just to sell a part.
Bed side manner is like this,been there done that ,makes no differace with my pay check come Friday............Boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Woody has been around these boats for longer than most on this site has breathed. His knowledge is beyond reproach

Doc, Ive used both props in question and disagree with Woody on this one. The Acme 3's just outperform the OJ for this application, at least in regards to holeshot and top speed. Eric told me that the OJ's were tuned for the skiing wake, which I havent verified. It makes sense that the wake would be softer, as the OJ dialed back the RPM's by quite a bit- but straight line performance suffered. That being said, Id still like to try an OJ that gave me a little more RPM- I was supposed to be getting one, and I should follow up again.

Chris, if I had put on either of the OJ's I have tried on my boat at GL, I would have lost by more! My boat just isnt that fast.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 5:12pm
Well, crap! That did not solve much.

I really don't think I can go wrong with either prop, but which one to choose...

Here is kind of what I am thinking. Tell me if I am way off base.

a. it may come down to price. I am picking up part of this bill (deductible) and the props all seem to get the same amount of praise.

b. If I decide to go acme, I may go with the 1442. I do not want to push this engine too hard as far as RPM's. I know that you mentioned that I could probably see 4600 RPM out of the 470, but I would feel more comfortable around the 4400 range. With the larger diameter of the 1442, it should bring me down a little from what the 470 would do, right?

Does that hold water at all?

Also, if I said that I would trade off top speed for whole shot, does that change any minds?

Thanks again!
Boats:
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 5:42pm
I would worry about spinning the engine 4600- I spin it over 5200 on the same bottom end. Part of the increase in performance you'll see from the 470 is due to the decrease in pitch (which equals more RPM for any given speed).

That being said, the 1442 is also a great prop and youre correct that it will turn slightly less RPM than the 470. It should still outperform the OJ on your boat, as that is simply a steeper prop.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 5:58pm
these things can turn 5000 all day long even in stock form.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2008 at 1:56pm
Well, I finally picked the boat up from SECC. I have to say, I am kind of disappointed. First off, let me say that all the mechanical work they did seems great so far. I was only able to get a quick spin around Conway because it was pouring rain yesterday in Orlando, but I wanted to test it out and it seems good.

I am disappointed for a few reasons.
1. I went ahead and asked them to do a wet sand, buff and shine while it was there. Brian quoted me $300 on the phone when i was scheduling to take the boat in. I figure that is a pretty good deal and it would free up a few weekends for me. Then Woody called me on Friday and said they were not able to completly get the shadows out and his opinion was that they would not come out with any amount of work. The boat needed to be re-gelled. So I told him to go ahead and put the new decals on as close as possible to the shadows. When I got there yesterday, I did not look like they wet sanded at all. There were several small scratches before that were still there and the fading was no better at all. I would have expected some difference. When I paid, they had the price for that at $500. Jim did change that back to $300, but even then, I feel like I paid them $300 to apply new decals and they did not even have to remove the old ones! I had already done that!

2. After I took the boat in, Brian sent me a estimate for the complete repair. All was good. Then when I went to pick up the boat, Brian was not there and Jim was taking care of me. They were unable to find the estimate that Brian had done before he went on vacation and they had to make another one to use as my bill. It turned out that the new one was over $1,000 more than the first one that Brian had made. This leaves me in a tight spot. Now I either have to pick up that difference or go back to my ins. co. again and ask them for more money. I know they are going to fight me on this because they are getting close to their total loss ratio already and this will definitely put them over. If they pick this up, they will have $6,500 into the salvage and repair and the boat was only insured for $7,000. The reason for the extra money is that Brian did not put a new rudder on the estimate. I know it needed it and that it should be paid for, but it would have been nice to know before I got there to pick it up. A phone call saying that we can not find Brian's estimate and we have to make a new one and here is the new price would have been nice. I also think SECC could help me out a bit. This was a $5,000 job for them and I know they make a good amount off of that.

Brian is on vacation until after the 4th and I am going to call him then.

Does anyone think I am wrong to not expect to pay an extra $1,000 over the estimate?
Boats:
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 11:56am
Another thing that SECC mentioned was that I need a new carb. They said the secondaries were not opening. I am not really up on carbs. Will rebuilding it help, or should I just get a new one? I assume I can check to make sure they are not opening by taking the arrester off and watching to see if the butterfly opens as we give it gas? If I need a new one, anyone have a good place to get a reman?

Thanks.
Boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2008 at 12:17pm
rebuild the carb and get new diaphrams for the secondaries and don't confuse estimate with actual cost or time required.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic