Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil change mess

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil change mess
    Posted: May-13-2008 at 5:17pm
Does anyone have an idea of a good way to avoid the mess from changing the oil. I currently pull the plug and then run it into a funnel attached to a piece of tube that is run through the boats plug hole.

I was wondering if anyone had a better way.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 5:41pm
Just install it. When not in use, it gets capped and draped over the timing cover.

Oil drain kit
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 5:43pm
I forgot... It fits directly through your drain plug, but drains extremely slow when the oil is thick.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 5:43pm
That sounds like a pretty good method- but you may want to consider adding a quick drain hose next time. SkiDIM sells one for $26, and I bet you could build one for less.

SkiDIM oil drain kit

Edit: Damn, I type too slow.
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 5:51pm
Actually, I like Tim's idea better...
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 6:06pm
Easy enough.
Thanks.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 7:39pm
Agree with the others for a permanent solution.
Another option you may want to look into is a suction pump.
Vacuum pump works very well and is clean too.
Just feed the small suction hose down the dipstick tube.
Easy oil changer

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 8:10pm
I have 2 hand crank plastic pumps, they go right down the dipstick tube to the bottem and work well, i have 2 so i can multitask...one for the engine one for the trans kidding aside, it will hold 2 or so gallons and over the years found it to be the best and easiest method for ME...of course adding a drain line is good method but then you have to worry about draining the trans

you put the tube down the dipstick tube pump it 5 or 6 times and walk away, come back in 10 minutes and they are drained
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 9:59pm
I've always used the suction pumps. The PO put a hose on the Tique and at the end of last summer I still used the suction pump. It was on the boat lift and I didn't want to get wet trying to float a waste container on a rubber raft. Eric's point of sucking a trans is valid too unless you use his method of disconnecting the oil line to the cooler.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 11:55pm
I have an attachment also with pipe plug and will hook up to the drain line too, the pulling the cooler line is kind of a pita but works when you dont have the means to suck it out. but i thought about it for a while and i find myself always grabbing the suction pump and draining that way. as soon as the engine is done i stick the tube down the dipstick on the trans and pump it a few times and go on to the next thing while it is draining, im surprised you dont have a pic Pete, the one im talking about stands upright, no electric pumps, just a handle that you pump a few times to create the vacuum and thats it, real clean and easy and its a one time investment. I use it for everything including sucking up gas when you take a carb apart and i always find something new to do with it. a matter a fact one of the guy's used it today to suck out the oil around a spark plug before he pulled it
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 11:57pm
I've always drained through the homemade hose through the drain plug.
Tim D
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 1:17am
Tim I am sure you have that non marine fuel pump there to avoid painting your new Coast Guard Approved Fuel Pump.
Tell me I am correct, and you will not be using the unit that is installed now..................Boat dr
JUST-IN-TIME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUST-IN-TIME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 5:41am
i like the jabsco pump with 5 gallon pail
we also use the mighty-vac pumps
www.switchbait.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 10:16am
JIT, i think it is a mighty vac, im lazy when it comes to looking for 12 volts, thats why i like the hand pump
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 1:38pm
I have had quite a few different style pumps and the best one to date has been this one I have now. Will do trans and engine oil.

Suck Up

Have the factory oil drain kit also, very slow unless the oil is hot/warm.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 2:57pm
Quinner just likes to pump it and suck it.

I stick my hose in the hole and then drain it.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I stick my hose in the hole

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 7:46pm
Boatdr, yes, that is the same fuel pump that you harped on the last time I posted that pic. If it makes you feel any better, it exploded yesterday. I still have the original '66 fuel pump with a glass sediment bowl on the bottom, it's not marine either.
Tim D
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 10:58pm
Tim, post on the site the date and times for visition, and do we send flowers or a donation to the Dumb Ass Club.....
If you took offense for this I apologize, just hate to see that boat burn,as for you well..................Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 11:31pm
Quinner, thats the style i have and it works great.
I always tell the guys to grab the Johnny holmes super sucker, thats what i call them.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 12:37am
Billy, what's with all the ...............?
are you ejaculating?
Tim D
JUST-IN-TIME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUST-IN-TIME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 1:55am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

JIT, i think it is a mighty vac, im lazy when it comes to looking for 12 volts, thats why i like the hand pump

that is why i mounted a 12v PWC battery to it!!!

E-Z, im the new generation tech, lol
www.switchbait.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic