NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Or Alt. ????

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Or Alt. ????
    Posted: May-18-2008 at 8:56pm
I was out on the lake for the first time today and had an issue. I was out driving my 86 SN 351 stock boat and the battery went out. I had drove it around for 30 mins, swam, and drove around for 15 mins. then parked it at the boat dock and backed the truck in. after walking back to the boat it would not start (5 mins after parked). then the boat ramp got full and someone gave me there battery. started right up. Now I would like to know where you would start on this fix. The batt is 6 years old and alt was rebuilt 3 years ago. Now the batt was total drained by the radio and re-charged before using the boat.

THanks for any input. (other then grammer and spelling errors... hahahha)

brett
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2008 at 9:15pm
sounds like you need a new battery.
bill
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 1:27am

I agree with Bill. Six years on a battery is pushing it a little. The radio probably finished it off. When you get it running again,try putting a meter on the cables at the battery. You should see 14 to 15 volts above idle with some acc. on. If not,get the alt. tested.
Watch your fingers.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 1:28am
Sounds like the battery to me also if it is 6 years old. Take it down to Advance or Auto Zone and have them test it out for you. They'll be able to tell you if it's time for new one. My $$$$ say's it is.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 11:01am
thanks all... that is what i was thinking... now... do i do the 2 batt set-up since i have been planning it?...

Thanks! All... I had planned on getting a new battery but did not want to have the same issue next time....

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 1:43pm
well i would check the charging system first because you can have a regulator issue and not a battery issue.

If it had enough power to start it before you went out then it doesn't have any juice left tells me it's not being charged and is being drained instead. So all a new battery is going to do is last longer before it is drained and your right back where you are now.
Gonne929 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonne929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 7:00pm
I agree with the last post. I would check the charging system first. Here is a real simple check: Disconnect the battery and pull it out of the boat. If you have access to a battery charger. Charge the battery. With a volt meter measure the voltage at the battery. It should be about 12V. Reconnect the battery. Start the boat. Check the voltage at the battery again. It should be about 13.5-14 Volts. If it is then the battery is bad. If it is not then you have a charging system issue.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 7:52pm
Bret, Do check the charging system but I'll bet it is the battery. 6 years is pushing a battery in a boat I feel due to all the pounding they get. It is also my opinion that the only way a battery can be tested to see what condition it's in is a load test. The parts store will have the load tester to do this for you. Funny thing though, they always are bad!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 8:45pm
Took the battery to Auto-zone... and I was told it is OK. So... next it to pull the alt and have it checked.

Now... if that is bad... what is going to take to step the Alt up to 55-75amps over the stock 35a?
80 Ski-Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 12:43am
It sounded like an alternator problem but I agree with brainard, 6 years is too old for a boat battery. I would upgrade the alternator and replace the battery if you want to be rid of the problem all at once.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 11:50am
Originally posted by brettmcox brettmcox wrote:

Took the battery to Auto-zone... and I was told it is OK. So... next it to pull the alt and have it checked.

Now... if that is bad... what is going to take to step the Alt up to 55-75amps over the stock 35a?

Well you can do that all you want but the part that needs tested will still be on the motor as it's an external regulator and that's what's wrong, I'm sure Autozone is going to tell you it's (alt) is all right, since they won't even get it hooked up right to test it since it's not wired like a car's.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 11:54am
test the thing your self just get a volt meter, start the boat and read the voltage at the battery and if you have 13.25-14 volts then it's charging and the batteries shot, if it is less or more than that then the regulator is bad.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

test the thing your self just get a volt meter, start the boat and read the voltage at the battery and if you have 13.25-14 volts then it's charging and the batteries shot, if it is less or more than that then the regulator is bad.

and if your going to chime in about 12-13 volts being good read the link in detail because your wrong, yes you know who I'm talking to. testing a battery
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 8:37pm
Took the alt to Auto Zone and they tested by putting in some box thing, putting on a belt, and pluging in the power and ground but did not have anything on the A.C. plug. Total Fail.   

got an order for a new one....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 12:33pm

Took the alt to Auto Zone and they tested by putting in some box thing, putting on a belt, and pluging in the power and ground but did not have anything on the A.C. plug. Total Fail.   

that doesn't suprise me, just up grade to an internal regulated alternator. If you want you can just try replacing the regulator mounted on the rear of the motor with your current alternator and you might luck out and be able to save some money.
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

that doesn't suprise me, just up grade to an internal regulated alternator. If you want you can just try replacing the regulator mounted on the rear of the motor with your current alternator and you might luck out and be able to save some money.

Now... I have a new style with one of those on the back... Should i look and make sure there is not a 2nd one some place? I have the 50A one coming from Skidim.com... I was told that the yellow plug that was on the back of mine will not match up but that is not a biggy... and i was told that my 40A breaker on the back of the motor should be fine... any input?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 1:48pm
An '86 should have already had an internally regulated alt. PCM made the change mid year '83.
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 2:21pm
Ok... that makes since... thanks!
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 3:01pm
one other item... when I had the Alt tested... the AC (exciter wire) was not going to anything.. i looked on google and found this...
"I'm getting a low voltage, I think it's because there's no exciter wire hooked up to the alternator."
"All you need is a wire hot with the key in the on position and no power with the key in the off position"
any input here.... or should i just stop asking "?"s
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic