NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 24>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 8:17pm
Where's that Buffalo guy who's supposed to be following me around with a dust pan?!!?

Tim, you may be able to see the floor angle thing here.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2008 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You've done an outstanding job documentating of this thread. Sorry I missed it last Friday!

My cut and mix man called in sick again?!!?   

You'll be more at home anyway when the patch turns into a garden!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 12:38am
Thanks for the kind words Doc!

Here's a couple of where it sits for now. The floor piece made Amy happy...she said it had been a long time since she saw any part of the boat's floor?!!?   LOL

This is the foam before the glass...

It looks like the blind squirrel thing applies to stray buffalos as well!   

1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 7:57am
Greg, Aren't you supposed to be on a airplane???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2008 at 8:39am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, Aren't you supposed to be on a airplane???

About this time in the morning I will be!!!

Being something of a pilot myself, I'm even looking forward to the landing in Montego Bay. It's a tricky approach and the pilot has to stick the landing! I live for stuff like that, but it'll scare the socks off of Amy's bride's maid?!!?   LOL

George, if you see this, don't tell Brenda!!!
1988 BFN-sold

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 4:29pm
Greg looks like things are going well on your project. Can't wait to see it run.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2008 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Greg looks like things are going well on your project. Can't wait to see it run.

I've mentioned it several times that he should bring it to GL. Now I'm going to have to convince Amy!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 10:28am
Found this site about Sanger Boats. In the lamination section of the factory tour they talk about wood stringers that will definately not rot. They were very strong on this in fact all the wood used in their boats they claim will not rot. It is a laminated plywood type structure. I wonder how it has been treated to obtain this rot resistance yet still allow the glass to bond to it correctly. Because I read previously on this site that the treated timbers have problems in this area. I actually found the whole tour most informative.

Any comments from you experienced guys on these claims would be most appreciated.

http://barefootcentral.com/SangerFactoryTour.htm
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 10:54am
Lewy, It's a epoxy and wood veneer lamination. Because the laminations as so thin, the wood is basically saturated with the epoxy. Same principle as a cold molded wood boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 11:16am
Is it possible to buy this type of timber or do Sanger make it in house??

Would it be possible to use a thin 3 ply and epoxy multiple layers to achieve this product??

Pete I bet you liked the bit where they said there is no better structural component than glassed timber in a boat.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 12:21pm
I miss loverboy
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Is it possible to buy this type of timber or do Sanger make it in house??

Would it be possible to use a thin 3 ply and epoxy multiple layers to achieve this product??

I've never seen it but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have the felling that they are laying this up in big sheets themselves. One thing about the lamination is the epoxy strengthens the wood to the point that you would only need about 75% of the original thickness to do the same thing.

No on the 3 ply plywood. The glue bond will prevent the epoxy from getting through to the middle. If the edges were sealed after cutting it would be ok. But by then, you might as well just do the solid. I did laminate a wakeskate from 5 layers of 1/8" ply and did seal the edges real good. It of coarse doesn't see the constant exposure to the moisture ether! The lamination was to get the curvature.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 12:49pm
Hi Guys
Try looking up Roechling as they make it, but will cost more than GRP.
I have gone for GRP for my stringer job

Roger
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 3:07pm
Roger, I couldn't find a wood lamination on the Roechling site. All I saw were composites. How about a direct link to what you are referring to.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2008 at 5:17pm
Hi Peter

The type of material I thought off was this Lignostone may be that the company has two spellings
Rochlin or Roechling as for a link, please give me some slack as im not up to that page yet.

As for Lignostone the cost is very high so GRP is more cost effective and over in the US, not sure of AUS. JoeinNY has found you have Corsa Board, or Roecherlin Glastic in the US look under Gold Member for boats.

Had a go let me know if it works

Roger.    
http://www.roechling-plastics.com/shared_source/PDF/Lignostone/Lignostone-Tank_supports.pdf
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2008 at 7:40am
Rodger, Thanks for the link. The "Lignostone" is wood veneer bonded with a heat cure phenolic in a retort. The process was actually developed during WWII. Complete boat hulls up to about 18' (the max size they could fit in a retort) were made and many are still out there and in good shape. Interesting process - the look of wood without any moisture problems. They lost out when fiberglass came around.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 9:45am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Me too, thanks!!!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 9:47am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I've mentioned it several times that he should bring it to GL. Now I'm going to have to convince Amy!!!!

Amy is convinced, but I'll run short on time this year. My trailer would need a little work for that trip and there are still a few weeds in the patch! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 2:11pm
Well guess you need to weed faster.. Just kidding. Glad to see you guys made it back safe and sound.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 2:24am
Cut Greg some slack...he is a newlywed...he has other things to attend to.

As always Greg..we love pictures! LOL.

john

16 pages and over 10k views...gotta be some kind of record.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 2:21pm
Jbear
You have been married long enough to know that all stops as soon as they say I do.. Just kidding, I am sure it will take a week or two to get back in the swing of things. Thank you notes to right and all. Catch up at work after the vacation.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 9:40pm
John and Jim...Ya Mon!!!   LOL

I got started back this afternoon making parts and getting the CPES on them. I also had to place another epoxy order.

It took half a day just to get the yard back in line!
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 10:00pm
Hey Jim...not right away but...it sure slows down as time goes on. Wait till ya go over 50!

Greg: No rain to keep that yard in shape? Hows the lake doin'?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 12:30am
John, I heard we had a big storm while I was gone and I KNOW we had 1 the night we came home. It held us up for about 3 hours. The yard problem was that it was way overgrown. I cut my neighbor's yard all the time...not sure why once was a problem for him?!!?   LOL

The lake is doing much better now that the Corps has reduced output!!!!   
1988 BFN-sold

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 1:20am
Glad the Corps finally wised up.

As for your lawn and the neighbor's......proves that no good deed goes unpunished!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 2:24pm
Greg, a proven fact is the Republicans do not release money to the Corp of engineers during thier administration, the last time the dredge companies saw big contracts was during the slick willy admin. and have'nt seen any since...... Waterways have become a big problem in the later years because of this. Money abroad seems to be more important

sorry for bringing politics into the picture, but it is the big picture
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 2:47pm
Really? Gonna bring politics, & partisan politics at that into this thread?... wow!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 3:54pm
Eric, we'll have to hang out in the briar patch someday for the politics. Bring money to lose cause we're gonna make a few bets!

So, now I know what amine blush is. What a mess, but it's all cleaned up thanks to something the Doc told me. Thanks mon.

Does anyone know the Correct name for the 'ribs' that are perpendicular to the secondary stringers to the outside?
Thanks
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 11:32am
Greg, if i bring some doe with me....the value of it isnt what it once was, i guess I'll have to bring alot

Nate, i was talking to the dredge estimater last week and he filled me in, I'll let Greg sit down with him, i just wanted to rustle Mr R lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 11:44am
LOL Eric...

But if Mr R = Mr Republican, then I am Mr. L!
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1415161718 24>
  Share Topic