Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’moaning’ when turning

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’moaning’ when turning
    Posted: May-28-2008 at 5:20pm

90 SN - noticed a 'moaning' for lack of a better description when turning this weekend.   Would get louder the sharper I turned. At speed... no noise when idling around. Any ideas?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 6:43pm
Its normal, don't worry about it.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 6:56pm
Keith's '94 did it with the factory prop- when he put an Acme on it, it went away.

I wouldnt say that anything is necessarily wrong- but calling the groaning normal is a bit of a stretch. None of the other Nautiques Ive ever been in have done it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 7:26pm
Tim, I think he might be talking about the growling "shark" shaped tracking fins, which would be normal.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Tim, I think he might be talking about the growling "shark" shaped tracking fins, which would be normal.

That's what I was thinking. Happens on de-cel after dropping the throttle down and turning. I kinda miss the sound on the newer boats.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 9:31pm
I've had a couple of off brand (Malibu) ski boats and they didn't do it.   Also have been in other Nautiques and MCs and don't recall it.. but when it's not mine I don't pay as much attention.

Wouldn't be anything to do with the 'packing' around the shaft would it?   Heard a buddy say he was re-packing his Ski Nautique. I haven't had this boat long but if there's maintenance to do there I'm don't know about it.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 10:29am
i wouldve suggested to try running the boat with the wife on shore and see if the moaning went away
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 11:06am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Happens on de-cel after dropping the throttle down and turning. I kinda miss the sound on the newer boats.

I wouldnt call the fin noise a growl- especially not after hearing Keith's boat turn around at the end of the slalom course... now that thing growled! It only did it in one direction under power, just like tapenick is describing.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 11:11am
A new strut bearing cured that in the mustang, or was it the new prop I put on at the same time?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 11:18am
VERY funny Eric I 'm Laffing my head off.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 11:55am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I wouldnt call the fin noise a growl- especially not after hearing Keith's boat turn around at the end of the slalom course... now that thing growled! It only did it in one direction under power, just like tapenick is describing.

Again... Its normal. Everything after the 2001 series hull makes the noise around corners.

Tim

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Again... Its normal. Everything after the 2001 series hull makes the noise around corners.

Tim

With the exception of Keith's, none of the Correct Crafts Ive been in make more noise turning in one direction than the other.

Joe, we suspected either a loose rudder or worn strut bushings, but nothing appeared to have any play in it. The new prop cured it, so who knows.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Tim

With the exception of Keith's, none of the Correct Crafts Ive been in make more noise turning in one direction than the other.

Joe, we suspected either a loose rudder or worn strut bushings, but nothing appeared to have any play in it. The new prop cured it, so who knows.

Well I have driven just about every year SN and they make noise after you get away from the 2001 hull. Maybe you are not turning hard enough. I know it makes more noise when you turn right.

tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 11:57pm
From Vince at SKIDIM:
"A Nautique will moan when you go into a turn. It will do it more on one side than the other (my 86 sounded like a mad dog). I don't have a good reason why it would get worse."

I don't think I mentioned it here but I told him it seemed to get worse on a long run.

Unless the 'getting worse' info triggers some new info I guess I'll chalk it up to normal and run it.

Thanks Guys!
Tom
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 1:01pm
Hollywood,

We've got a thread titled "Moaning when turning" and the best you can come up with is "Shark Fins". I think you're slipping.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 1:01pm
i like gurgle better
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 1:12pm
I am slipping, that's for sure. jbear has been plucking out some good quotes lately though. I did like eric's comment on the wife.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 1:18pm
I remember a call in to Click & Clack's auto show on public radio, , and the women caller described the car's moaning sound with great..uhm, accuracy...

They didn't know what the problem was but they asked if she wanted to sell the car...
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 1:25pm
I have never been in or driven a inboard that didn't moan, groan, growl or gurgled in the turns! My X55 even whistles in the corners that I feel are the hull steps relieving themselves of trapped air. No, it doesn't pass gas!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 7:09pm

especially not after hearing Keith's boat turn around at the end of the slalom course...

Tim, I thought Keith discovered something was either loose it improperly fit when he went to change the prop-which contributed to the moan/ vibration while turning (especially in one direction).
-Brad
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 12:31am

I really want to let this go and write it off as normal.... just making sure -

I can wiggle my rudder a little... is that okay?   Not in a radial direction (like I'd expect from a worn / improperly adjusted cable)... back and forth like I'd expect from a worn bushing / bearing.

It's just a little, doesn't seem bad but if it's supposed to be a really tight fit I may have a problem.

Tom
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 2:37am
Originally posted by tapenick tapenick wrote:

It's just little, doesn't seem bad but if it's supposed to be a really tight fit I may have a problem.

There you go Kevin...this one was almost to easy.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 7:37am

I am slipping, that's for sure. jbear has been plucking out some good quotes lately though. I did like eric's comment on the wife.

Indeed HW... that was one of the best comments I read here, next to those about you and Quinner ROFLOL...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i wouldve suggested to try running the boat with the wife on shore and see if the moaning went away

Mine usually makeS more of a screaming sound, sometimes it even makes my eyes water, although that could be from the mace.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 12:33pm
no means no Quin
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Bawahahaha, snort, snort...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic