NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’01 Nautique Digital Gauges

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’01 Nautique Digital Gauges
    Posted: April-27-2008 at 11:22pm
I just upgraded my '95 to an '01 and took it for it's first spring outing. Much to my horror the digital gauges are EXTREMELY hard to read, if not impossible in direct sun.

Help!

It is time to start running this baby down the course and my gauges are jacked.

Suggestions on replacements? Go analog? Is it a straight swap out? Likely I cannot shell out the almost $2,000 to go Perfect Pass.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 12:07am
Digital guages in 01 were a known issue. Are you sure the guages aren't failing as opposed to being dim. I went through 4 sets of guages. CC always replaced them for free. Unfortunately, they aren't making those guages anymore. The most common fix is to replace with Faria guages. I just did this replacement in December. The new guages seem to work great. Can't remember what it cost, but it wasn't cheap. BKH
Livin' the Dream

scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 4:32pm
Ordered the Faria guages from MWCC about a month ago. $150 with paddle wheel.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 4:43pm
I called the local dealer. He made it sound expensive. I can't recall if it was 700.00 for the parts only, or parts and labor.

To clarify: the tach is legible, but barely. The speed is non-existent.

What a crummy idea the guages they put in. I can see having a "numerical" read out, but a "radial" LCD? Who thought that was better than the needle gauges?

Who is MWCC?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:04pm
Some people still have extras of these gauges laying around. Might be worth a WTB post on PN.com and/or here. I just bought a NIB set for 125 bucks or so. The replacement faria gauges look so out of place on the dash that I'd rather replace with OEM as long as I can! And, the speedo does show a digital speed. Here's what they actually look like:

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:06pm
Accidental double post.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:11pm
Thanks for the picture. My guages are DEFINITELY whack! They do not look anything like this.

You need to help me with the jargon, though:

WTB= ???
NIB= ??? new in box??
PN.com???

Thanks.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:17pm
MWCC = Midwest Correct Craft 260-833-2226
WTB = want to buy
PN.com = www.planetnautique.com

Here is a link someone posted of their install w/a couple of pictures.
Faria install
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:44pm
NIB = New in box.
OEM = Original equipment manufacturer.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 5:51pm
Got it. Thanks guys. One more question:

Is the issue replace the gauges regardless, or could I opt for perfect pass and opt out of new gauges?

What would you do?

Thanks!
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 6:00pm
ScottB:

Thanks for the Faria link!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 6:43pm
Here is what I would do- I'd install perfect pass, which gives you speed and tach. You could see how you like that, and if you really want replacements ask around for digital replacements and/or get the Faria set. IIRC the faria set requires the paddlewheel sensor from Perfect Pass anyway.

Another alternative I saw someone do on PN (?) was to install a true analog air-driven speedo using the existing pitots on the boat. This seemed to be a really cheap way to replace the speedo. You can search around on PN for that alternative.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2008 at 7:45pm
Thanks M3. That's why I like this board. Lot's of knowledge.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 12:41pm
I thought I would close the loop on this one.

I had my local dealer replace the speedo and the tach with the Faria analog replacement set. They work smooth and are very accurate. They had to install a "paddle wheel" in the hull, so the air pressure sensors for the old gauges are abandoned in place.

The repair took about 3 weeks because the gauges were on back order from Correct Craft. The total cost was about 600.00. I was told the gauges are sold at cost to the dealer for about 200 bucks, and the rest is installation.

The good news is having the paddle wheel installed will reduce cost when I get a Perfect Pass installed.

Thanks to all for the advice.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

I thought I would close the loop on this one.

I had my local dealer replace the speedo and the tach with the Faria analog replacement set. They work smooth and are very accurate. They had to install a "paddle wheel" in the hull, so the air pressure sensors for the old gauges are abandoned in place.

The repair took about 3 weeks because the gauges were on back order from Correct Craft. The total cost was about 600.00. I was told the gauges are sold at cost to the dealer for about 200 bucks, and the rest is installation.

The good news is having the paddle wheel installed will reduce cost when I get a Perfect Pass installed.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Great news. One of my analog pitots has broken off- any way I could get yours from you now that they are out of the loop entirely?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 1:41pm
I am going to keep them in place so the boat still has a "stock" look.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 3:10pm
As I said, I made the Faria switch several months ago, and, so far, I've been happy as well. BKH
Livin' the Dream

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 3:49pm
The paddle wheel is a lot smoother in terms of how the gauge responds than the Air Glides I had in my '95. I do not have Perfect Pass (yet!) so these new gauges really allow me to hit a certain speed with accuracy.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 4:37pm
I think the Faria gauges really look good, especially after trying to read the faded digital gauges.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 1:42pm
Yeah, scot I agree. I read on this board someone trying to stick with the digital for the stock look. I like the way they look.

My next complaint about the 01 is how hard it is to open the storage hatch at the rear!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:04pm
Check the adjustments. The hatches are not difficult to open if working properly. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic