Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noisy transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
slalomdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noisy transmission
    Posted: May-26-2008 at 3:06pm
I have a 2000 SN with 350 hrs.When I bought the boat 6 months ago, it had a clunking noise when reversing. I thought it may be the straight cut gears. I now have noticed the same noise when idling forward. Could it be the gears, or maybe excesive backlash. Any ideas, thanks
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 4:54pm
Sounds to me like it could be a rigging problem if it's doing it in both forward and reverse. I 'd check it to be sure then call in our transmission guru Eric Lavine he'll tell you for sure what it is............. ( Cue music)... Enter Mr. Lavine!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 6:06pm
Ok, you will have to educate me, what is rigging with regards to a tranny?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 8:11pm
Don't know about the rigging but to me it sounds like the dampener plate. It's the spring loaded means of coupling the trans to the flywheel.

How's the coupling on the prop shaft? If a alignment has never been done on it. it could easily chew up the fit in 350 hours.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 12:19am
I am getting a similar clunking in Fwd at idle. I have a new damper plate so I can rule that out. My ATF was a little low so today I overfilled a bit like Eric has recommended in other posts. I will let you know results of oil level change next weekend - I hope that is it!

Unfortunately my prop shaft is spinning slowly in neutral - maybe will have to schedule a trans rebuild next winter.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 12:46am
Dumb question to answer ......
Idle speed on a VDrive is critical, any lower than 500 will give a sound simular to what you describe. Try raising the idle a "tad" and see if the noise lessons or leaves.......Boat dr
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 12:47am
Sorry bout that. Rigging is term used to make sure that your cables are properly aligned in an airplane. You know like when the throttle is at zero in the cockpit, the fuel control on the engine is at zero also...... Make sure the throttle is in neutral and your tranny is in neutral too. Make an adjustment to align the cable to the tranny if necessary by ajusting the push-pull rod.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2008 at 10:20am
it could be the combination of all of the above, weak dampner plate, miss at idle, too low of idle, these will all contribute to gear slap, which means the gears are bouncing off of eachother and causiong the clunking.
try a dampner first and tune-up and the check the alignment
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 12:25am
Thanks guys, one more question, is it more of an annoyance issue, or can it cause damage to the tranny.Thanks in advance.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 8:47am
Originally posted by slalomdude slalomdude wrote:

Thanks guys, one more question, is it more of an annoyance issue, or can it cause damage to the tranny.Thanks in advance.

I would look into the possible problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2008 at 10:27am
if not corrected it will cause damamge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:33am
Thanks guys. I will order new damper from Skidim. Any tips, or advice to make install easier.
I have a GT40 and its idling between 650 -750
Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 7:26am
Originally posted by slalomdude slalomdude wrote:

Thanks guys. I will order new damper from Skidim. Any tips, or advice to make install easier.

If you don't have a means of hoisting (tilting) the tail end of the engine up, use a small bottle jack under each exhaust manifold. There is a thread on it but is pretty self explanatory. Don't forget you'll need to do a alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 8:37am
In order to get the damper plate centered, get 3 countersink screws & install them before the regular hex heads. If your flywheel is like mine it will have 6 tapped holes that line up. After you torque the hex heads down, then remove the countersink screws. The holes in the damper plate are .010 oversize, don't ask me why, I didn't design it!

Another pc of advice - loosen your tranny mount ajustment screws while the tranny is out. It will save you some aggravation when you go to do your alignment.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 9:13am
Chris, You did have the shoulder bolts didn't you? New? The holes in the dampener were 10 over or maybe the shoulder on the bolts were 10 under?

sd, Get some new bolts with it too.
dampener bolts

Guys, Is sd going to run into the spacing issue between the dampener and the face of the flywheel??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 10:54am
Pete - I bought new bolts from SkiDim & they weren't any different than the originals. The flywheel's pilot dias & OD of the bolt shoulder is .3125 inch. The ID of the holes in the damper plate is .325. Go figure.

As far as the spacer washers, Vince from SkiDim told me they were not recommended, so I took them out.

SD - Hopefully you won't have to do this twice like I did.

Chris

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 11:10am
Good info thank you. I saw a thread where a guy a gap between the plate and flywheel on a Pcm 1.23,I think thats what you were refering to.
SNobsessed, I dont follow on the countersunk screws bit, can you elaborate?. Wonder why they dont use machined bolts, or make a dummy shaft , like on a car clutch, that you could use to line it up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:04pm
Pete, he will and will have to space the damper accordingly, if you pull the plate down I personally think it loads the plate, it may be fine I dont know, just a pre-cautionary measure
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:14pm
sd, Chris used the flat heads temporarily to center the plate (because of the .010" clearance) before he bolted it down with the shoulder bolts.

Eric, you should call up Vince at Skidim and find out why he is recommending not using any spacers. I'm with you. I don't like the idea of flexing that plate down against the flywheel. Even with the spacers, the bolts have plenty of strength to handle the torque of even the largest engines. The only negative is loosing some of the bolts shoulder engagement.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 3:12pm
I talked to someone in regards to it and got the......pull it in, it will be fine, end of that conversation

thats all right, the friendly (American) aftermarket will soon be producing them....the right way
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic