Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

alternator wiring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Robbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alternator wiring
    Posted: June-08-2008 at 9:35am
Hai guys,
Im Robbie from the netherlands, i am the owner of a ski nautique 2001 (87).
Im having a problem with me alternator..we got it cleaned up and put back, but the guy who took it of forgot to mark the wires..

Now i got a Mitsubishi(dunno if thats original) alternator..from the back of the alternator there are comming 3 wires..

.red
.black
.yellow

from the boat we have 3 wires
.purple
.red
.black

Can someone tell me where to put these wires according to the alternator ?

Thnx in advance
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 10:26am
Robbie, Tim (TRbeng) put together this diagram for a 1983 to a 1990. I thought I'd steal it and post it for you thinking you may want to take a look at your alternator problem immediately. Tim's been real busy lately on a CC restoration!
Now, the Mits alternator is not original so you will need to identify it's wires.

Of coarse, getting the alternator back in won't really do any good if in fact your other problem does turn out to be a rod knock. I certainly hope it's something else.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Robbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 10:33am
Ow goodie...

Thanx alot mate, this forum rocks..here in Holland nobody knows anything and they charge alot of money to help..

Im gonna try this diagram out and later this afternoon ill make some pictures of my boat along   
with the alternator..

Again thanx alot
Robbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 1:38pm
Right its me again..
Sorry but it's a Motorola alternator..
And it looks like this...

I was wondering on what i should put what..

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 3:23pm
Robbie - That isn't a marine alternator - I would recommend you get a new one. The Marine alternators have s screens that prevents their internal sparks from starting an explosion.

Might be worth $100 to save 6 peoples lives.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Robbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2008 at 3:54pm
Ow dear, thats strange when i bought this boat the alternator was already on this one..

I even bought the boat from a correct craft dealer nearby.

Whats the best alternative for this one ?

I got a Pcm/Gm 5.7 v8 engine.
Could that be the problem for my other topic aswell ??

Gr
andybuzz2u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andybuzz2u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 12:16pm
Robbie, what you have there is a Motorola marine 4 wire alternator. The only sparking it does is behind the voltage regulator cover, it is a very safe, simple alternator, as a boat mechanic, one of the best ever installed. You should have no problems finding parts for it in Holland. I would recommend replacing the voltage regulator every two years and the brushes every 4 or 5 years, real simple and easy maintenance, most often you do not have to remove the alternator to do it unless you got one of those how big of a motor can we put in their boats.

Alternators are tested 9 times in an explosion-proof chamber, a mix of mostly oxygen and natural gas is pumped into the alternator and the alternator is remotely ran or some introduce a "spark plug" in an attempt to ignite the gas. The ideal is to not ignite the mixture. This has to be done 9 times to receive a marine rating. Then to verify that the mixture was correct, the protective coverings are removed and the alternator is blown up by igniting the oxygen natural gas mixture being introduced into the alternator.

This does not in any way replace your nose, if you smell gasoline or even diesel, shut it down, disconnect all power, open the hatches and find the problem.

Yes I know this post is years old, I just hate reading a post where someone tells someone to go buy "something" new so they won't blow their boat up, rubbish.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 12:29pm
Robbie,
Do you have any shops in Holland that specialize in "auto" electrics? They work on things like alternators and starters. From the looks of your alternator, it sure could use some checking. It also would eliminate any potential wiring problems you could encounter retrofitting another marine unit.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic