NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buffing a painted boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buffing a painted boat
    Posted: June-24-2008 at 1:29pm
I'd like to know what process you guys would recommend to buff out a painted hull.

The Classic was repainted in Imron about 20 years ago. The paint still has some gloss to her, but I'd like to try and buff/rub it out.

Since it is different and much thinner than gel, I'm assuming a different approach is needed.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 7:41pm
Steve, It's buffed just like you would glass only not as aggressively. I would try one of the marine cleaner/waxes first. If it doesn't do anything then start with some of the lighter compounds. The imron is really pretty tough. It's just like buffing out a cars paint job. BTW, I buff my varnish. A good buffer and a good pad like a 3M 2+2

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2008 at 11:42pm
Pete,

So, marine wax is formulated not necessarily for gel vs. paint, but more for the constant exposure to water?

I have some Turtle Wax rubbing compound (regular and HD) on the shelf. Is this OK to use this if I need something more aggressive than cleaner wax?

The buffer I got from my Dad is a 7" 2400/2900 rpm electric rotary buffer/sander. Is this acceptable for buffing auto paint?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 12:48am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

So, marine wax is formulated not necessarily for gel vs. paint, but more for the constant exposure to water?

I have some Turtle Wax rubbing compound (regular and HD) on the shelf. Is this OK to use this if I need something more aggressive than cleaner wax?

The buffer I got from my Dad is a 7" 2400/2900 rpm electric rotary buffer/sander. Is this acceptable for buffing auto paint?

Steve, I think marine wax is better suited to adhering to gelcoat- but a good quality wax (either auto or marine) will do you fine.

In order of harshness (starting with the least aggressive), Id try cleaner wax, then polish, then compound. If youre just trying to restore color and shine, then the cleaner wax will likely do that. Be very careful with the compound on the paint.

The rotary isnt ideal- its not hard to burn paint with one (I wont take my rotary to my car for fear of this). A random orbital polisher is much safer. In the hands of a pro, a rotary is a great tool- but proceed with caution.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 1:46pm
Be particularly cautious around sharp corners and edges with a rotary buffer....very easy to burn thru the paint there.

Do you get any chalking , if you rub a cloth over the paint?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Be particularly cautious around sharp corners and edges with a rotary buffer....very easy to burn thru the paint there.

Absolutely! Steve if you go rotary, you want to angle the buffer so the pad rotates over the edge instead of into the edge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 2:04pm
I've used Collintes boat cleaner on paint and it removes oxidation and fine scratches. It's designe for gel coat, but works well on paint and is not abbrasive.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2008 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

still has some gloss to her, but I'd like to try and buff/rub it out.

Hollywood, pick-up in aisle three..
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic