NautiqueParts.com2025 Calendar Photos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alignment Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alignment Questions
    Posted: June-28-2008 at 5:36am
I finally was able to check my alignment, I had tried to do it last year and was not able to get the coupling apart. Since there was no noticeable vibration, I figured it was fine. After having the prop redone I noticed some vibration when I have taken it out the first couple times this year. I shrugged it off as weeds on the prop. After dinging the prop last week I figured I would try to check the alignment again.
I was able to break the coupling free tonight. It was rusted together on the inside pretty good. After cleaning up the surfaces, I was able to put the two surfaces of the coupling together and turn them. I am pretty sure that the shaft is not bent since the gap stays in the same place when you turn the two pieces.

The largest gap is at the top and is .023 the gap at the bottom is almost non-existent I can just get the thinnest of my feeler gauges in there (.0015) The sides seem about even.

When I got the boat the nuts on the front engine mounts were really loose. So loose that you could turn them with your fingers. I figured that this is where the problem is. My problem now is that I am not sure what I should adjust and how to go about doing it. The two front mounts look like they are at different heights.

The arrow points to where the largest gap is.

If you look at the difference between where the nut is at on each side you can see tha the starboard side is showing about 7 threads and the port side only shows 3 threads.

Should I turn this at the red arrow or turn the nut at the green arrow to lower it??

Big thanks to Eric for coaching me on how to get the coupler apart and for the great alignment thread.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 8:51am
Randy, hold it where the red arrow is and loosen the lock nut on top. Then your green arrow is to raise or lower that mount.

The back one's are a little different.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 12:38pm
Randall, loosen the 2 set screws on your prop coupling and make sure that the coupling is not loose on the shaft becuase of the MA. with MA not only does the ass end of the trans take abuse but the coupling will frett on the shaft because its trying to act like a u-joint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 12:57pm
Eric, what the hell is MA??
If I loosen the set screws on the coupling then I have to replace the safety wire, right? Should I be able to get this wire at my local marina is it stainless steel or will any wire be ok?

So,do you think I need to bring down that mount on the front side closest to the oil filter, or should I start somewhere else??

Thanks
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 1:00pm
MA=miss alignment
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 1:04pm
i woulsd raise the front mounts since those were loose and when running the boat, chances are they vibrated down. good place to start
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

If I loosen the set screws on the coupling then I have to replace the safety wire, right? Should I be able to get this wire at my local marina is it stainless steel or will any wire be ok?
Thanks

Stainless wire is fine but, I've seen more set screws without wire than I have with!!! I never seen a problem ether unless the coupling has been fretted so bad from MA that the set screws are beat up and loose. You should also have a safety collar on the shaft so you won't loose the shaft just in case!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 1:17pm
Ok, I'll check the coupling first for looseness.

As for more thread showing on the left front mount than the right front mount should I try to bring these about even?
I'm thinking I will start on the side closest to the blower fan and raise that side a bit. sound good?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 1:19pm
Pete,
I have a safety collar on the shaft about 1/2 inch above the packing, you just can't see it in the pic.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 1:22pm
Randy, Don't go by how much thread is showing from side to side. The stringers, mounts and cradle may be off a little. Just try to feel when adjusting that you have equal force on the mounts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2008 at 2:30pm

I guess I'm on my way to the auto parts store to buy an EZ-out and a new bolt. I have no idea where I will find a bolt like that, I will probably have to find one and drill the hole for the safety wire.

I was able to get the other one out, I really dont think the coupler is loose on the shaft. that thing is rusted to the shaft hard.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 1:41am
I give up.

I got an EZ-out and tried to get the broken set screw out and ended up breaking the EZ-out in the drilled out bolt. So, now I have a broken bolt with a broken EZ-out in it.

I am going to take this to someone with more patience, time, tools and know-how than me.

Really pisses me off!
I was making good progress until I tried to take the set screws out of the coupler.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 12:52pm
its drill time, center punch it right in the center, i can see by your pictures that the alignment is out and the end of the shaft is probably fretted...you should put in the budget a new shaft and coupling and just cut the old shaft out....its up to you, once you remove the coupling and clean is when it will loosen up on you. you can buy just a new coupling if you find the shaft to be good and re-drill the set screws
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 1:30pm
Eric,

I have an EZ-out broke off in the middle of the bolt. I was just out there trying to drill it out but I don't think the drill bit will go thtough the EZ-out! I think the shaft is going to have to be cut to get the coupling off now!

What does your schedule look like next week? could you get me a new shaft and coupler and get this thing put back together? I'm running out of patience. At this point I would rather just drop the $$ and get it over with.
I should have just brought it to you in the first place.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 1:48pm
call me monday AM, looks like I'll have a boat for the 4th   lol
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 2:31pm
will you be around about 8am? or is that too early?

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 1:04pm
You won't get a new shaft anytime soon.

Ive got a spare shaft/coupler if you want to borrow it for a couple of weeks.

Don't cut the shaft off!!!

Tim

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 1:12pm

I finally was able to check my alignment, I had tried to do it last year and was not able to get the coupling apart. Since there was no noticeable vibration, I figured it was fine. After having the prop redone I noticed some vibration when I have taken it out the first couple times this year. I shrugged it off as weeds on the prop. After dinging the prop last week I figured I would try to check the alignment again.
I was able to break the coupling free tonight. It was rusted together on the inside pretty good. After cleaning up the surfaces, I was able to put the two surfaces of the coupling together and turn them. I am pretty sure that the shaft is not bent since the gap stays in the same place when you turn the two pieces.

The largest gap is at the top and is .023 the gap at the bottom is almost non-existent I can just get the thinnest of my feeler gauges in there (.0015) The sides seem about even.

When I got the boat the nuts on the front engine mounts were really loose. So loose that you could turn them with your fingers. I figured that this is where the problem is. My problem now is that I am not sure what I should adjust and how to go about doing it. The two front mounts look like they are at different heights.

The arrow points to where the largest gap is.

If you look at the difference between where the nut is at on each side you can see tha the starboard side is showing about 7 threads and the port side only shows 3 threads.

Should I turn this at the red arrow or turn the nut at the green arrow to lower it??

Big thanks to Eric for coaching me on how to get the coupler apart and for the great alignment thread.

Also...

You need to loosen all four of your nuts that have the tapered pins in them.

Tim

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 2:25pm
Tim, Thanks for the offer.

Why do you say I wont be able to get a shaft for some time?

I haven't had a chance to call Eric yet, I'm getting slammed here at work...

I don't know how else I will be able to get the shaft out without cutting it. I don't think that set screw is going to come out.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 2:44pm

Tim, Thanks for the offer.

Why do you say I wont be able to get a shaft for some time?

I haven't had a chance to call Eric yet, I'm getting slammed here at work...

I don't know how else I will be able to get the shaft out without cutting it. I don't think that set screw is going to come out.

Don't cut the shaft off, if it is straight you can re-use it for your spare.

For a new shaft from ARE it is about a week to us, plus we have the holiday weekend. In fact...call right now and see if you can get one now. Skidim with the discount is the best deal.

Can you get the easy out...out? Your better off just drilling the old set screw out and putting a helicoil in. I have the set screws in stock...

Tim

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 6:55pm
Gang, shouldn't we focus on the MA for now? Let's get him aligned and worry about the coupling being messed up later. Doesn't that make sense? If the coupling was really rounded out on the shaft wouldn't he be able to wiggle it around a bit regardless of the set screws?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 7:05pm
If the coupling is fretted, then the shaft will be too so unless the shaft OD is cleaned up and a special under size coupling made, I would consider the shaft scrap too.

Joel, He's got to get the set screw out. It may be set into a dimple drilled in the shaft. At least it should be!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 7:14pm
Still, we haven't determined that it's been fretted. Why not align and water test? If it's not fretted then it doesn't matter whether the coupling comes off or not- it'll probably be good for the life of the shaft in that case. I just don't want to see this turn into some huge ordeal that keeps RIO off the water for weeks.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 7:33pm
The shaft is not JUNK. Even if it did fret you can turn it down and put a tapered coupler on it.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2008 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

The shaft is not JUNK. Even if it did fret you can turn it down and put a tapered coupler on it.

Tim

Tim, You may want to consider the cost of reworking the shaft. If you have the time and equipment to do it yourself fine but to have a machine shop do it, the cost would exceed a new shaft. BTW, it's going to be hard to find the equipment to "turn" the taper and hold the tolerance. The taper should be ground.

Joel, I'm with you! Make sure the shaft isn't bent, align the shaft/engine and go for it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 12:57am
Randy, I was sorry to find your problems here. Here's to hoping you can get this going for the big weekend.

I'm hoping to take a quick run with Rob Leinen in South Bend this weekend!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 1:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Tim

Tim, You may want to consider the cost of reworking the shaft. If you have the time and equipment to do it yourself fine but to have a machine shop do it, the cost would exceed a new shaft. BTW, it's going to be hard to find the equipment to "turn" the taper and hold the tolerance. The taper should be ground.

Joel, I'm with you! Make sure the shaft isn't bent, align the shaft/engine and go for it!!

Pete..

You just like to argue. I spent 20 mins measuring and making the solid model, 5 mins making the drawing and the machine shop is going to do it for $50.00. Now I have a perfect shaft ready to go for a spare at a $250.00 discount.

None of the shafts my friend has made were ground, guess your CNC machine is a few years old.

I offer to give the guy a complete shaft assembly so he can make it through the 4th weekend here you are telling me how it can't be done.

Tim

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2008 at 1:25am
He's going to make it through the 4th with no problems anyway, because he does not need a new shaft. He'll re-align and have fun, broken set screw or not. Who cares if the set screw is broken when the coupling doesn't even have to come off?

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 12:34am
Thanks for all the input guys.
I dropped it off at Eric's shop this morning.

I just don't have the time to work on it this week. Too much going on between work and everything else this week, and next week doesn't look much better.

I would be afraid to run it with the shaft set screw broken and I have no way of getting it out now that it is broken and has the ez-out broken off in it.

I just want to get it fixed and get back on the water. Summer is too short here to spend it working in the garage two weekends in a row.

Eric has a lot more experience with this type of work than I do. I don't trust my judgment on this type of thing.
I can see myself out in the middle of the lake with my shaft and new prop on the bottom of the lake and water shooting through the hole where shaft used to be.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2008 at 1:32pm
its junk now......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic