Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1989 Sport floor problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
renderzero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renderzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1989 Sport floor problem
    Posted: July-14-2008 at 11:42pm
Great site! Glad to be aboard. I just bought an 89 sport and the floor between the windshields where it transitions from carpet to fiberglass is a little spongy. There is a piece of teak molding and some of the screws have come out. Has anyone had any experience with this or know what materials the floor is constructed out of? I called a boat dealer and they told me that the wood is rotten and they would have to pull off the top half of the boat to fix it!
addicted to wakeboarding!
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 12:35am
Glad you're here! Post some pics asap, we'll all enjoy seeing your boat.

Unfortunately you have received bad news. Floor rot is somewhat common in the older boats. Your floor and stringers are made of treated wood. CC did not go to composite construction (completely) until 1993. You won't have to remove the deck to fix it, but it is a lot of work. If you do it yourself, you'll have a lot of help on this forum. Search on "floor" or "stringer" to get an idea of what you're up against.

Good luck.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renderzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 1:29am
Hey thanks, that's defiantly better news and something I think I might be able to handle. By the way Beautiful 95 SN
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 10:40am
Steven-
Welcome, and glad to see another '89 Sport on board. I was just down your way last weekend. Took the boat to the Outback Crab Shack. Had a great time. It was my first time there and I was plesently suprised. Even got to see a manatee and a small gator.

About your floor, that sucks. Have you tried putting new screws in, and they just won't bite? Unfortunatly, our stringer jobs are much harder than the SN because of the open bow. I have yet to find a thread where someone has done a stringer replacement on an open bow. I was also wondering if you had to remove the bow portion, and it makes sence you would have to to get the stringers all the way to the front. Definetly, keep us posted.

Again, welcome to the site and we will have to meet up on the St. Johns sometime.

Get some pics posted soon!

Adam
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renderzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 7:42pm
Adam-
Thank you for the warm welcome, always happy to hear from a fellow 89 sporty. Glad to hear you had a good time at Outback. I haven't time to dig into that problem yet I plan on making it a winter project. I wanted make the most of my time here because I am getting ready to deploy to Iraq. I'm not sure though if you have to remove the bow portion or not- or even how to do that if so. I hope that the stringers don't go that far. I will for sure keep you posted. I'm hoping that i only have to replace the floor.
Yes, we should definitely meet up sometime next summer after my return from the sandbox, and I'll see if I can post some pics.

Steve
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 10:46pm
For sure make the most of the time you have. The floor may be soft, but it will hold.

Please be safe while overseas. I think I speak for all of us here when I say THANK YOU for what you do.

What branch are you in? Are you at Mayport, NASJAX, Camp Blanding (not even sure if troops are stationed there)?

Good luck with the boat and I hope to meet you soon.

Adam
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renderzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 11:13pm
Adam, thanks for the support it means a lot to all of us!
I am a Naval aircraft mechanic staioned with VS-22 At Nas Jax. We are the last Legacy of the S-3B Viking. Duce Duce baby!

Steve
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 2:20am
Originally posted by renderzero renderzero wrote:

I wanted make the most of my time here because I am getting ready to deploy to Iraq.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!

Tom
PS: Fellow Sporty Owner (90) ... so curious to hear the outcome of this thread.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 2:44am
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

I think I speak for all of us here when I say THANK YOU for what you do.

YES! And know that I respect the freedom you are fighting for!    
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic