NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perfect Pass Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perfect Pass Questions
    Posted: July-11-2008 at 4:09am
I just had the dealer install a Perfect Pass Pro in my '01 SN. The dealer was not much help answering any questions, and the manual was silent in areas. I know the brain pool here can guide Lakeboy to the sweet set up:

1. Is there a basic calibration that converts turns of the paddlewheel to MPH? Is there a calibration I need to do to make sure this is accurate.

THE REASON: How do I know that a 32 MPH reading on the PP speedo is truly 32 MPH other than timing it with a stopwatch or using a GPS.

2. In the "Slalom" mode I set the speed to 32 MPH. When engaged and rolling thru the course the PP speedo reads 30.9. The manual says to "add" rpm via the BASE CAL mode to get the speed to 32 MPH. This relates to Item 1. above: Am I just "artificially" adding RPM to get the 32 setting to match the 32 MPH readout? Or am I truly getting 32 MPH?

3. This relates to item 2 above... Does the BASECAL mode add or deduct RPM from each of the slamom speed settings (30,32,36, etc.), or does the BASE CAL adjust rpm unique to each speed. (e.g. does adding rpm to the 30 mph add rpm to the 36 mph setting whether I like it or not?)

Hopefully these questions make sense. I just want to be confident in my speeds and system.

Thanks.

NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2008 at 12:23pm
Does your course have magnets? If not you will need them or a freind operating the manual timer at the entry and exit.

If you have been doing either of these, and your in the calibration mode, then add the additional rpms as it suggests. Make sure skier weight is set to 0. Check on what the crew weight should be, I cant remember if you have to set it to 0 also, or use actual crew weight.

You will need to calibrate just about every speed that you will use. Mine is calibrated at 26,28,30,32,34,36.

Hope this helps a little, I'm sure it doesnt answer all your questions. It takes a lot of time to dial in the pp and the boat, but its worth it!
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 1:20pm
NCH2OSKI:

Thanks for the reply. No too many takers on this issue. So to confirm: the calibration is unique to each speed? That is if I add RPM to 32 MPH, it does not add RPM to 34 MPH?

I have a stop watch and have timed the pass thru the gates. Our course has magnets, but I do not believe my PP is set or capable to recieve the signal.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2008 at 2:44pm
PP does not use the paddle wheel for Slalom (except in the Stargazer version, which I guess doesn't use the paddlewheel in later versions, but I digress). The speed reading from the paddlewheel is merely for reference in Slalom and has nothing to do with the baseline RPMS.

You are using RPM only for Slalom in regular PP. You set your baseline RPMS using timing magnets, a hand timer, or even a GPS unit. Each tournament speed has a baseline RPM associated with it that must be set up one time. Once those are set, you adjust skier weight, crew weight, wind, etc. in order to achieve correct times during each ski set.

So for example, say I'm setting the baseline for 32.3 mph and I only had a GPS unit handy. I'd turn off PP, then drive until it said around 32.3 on my GPS unit. I'd note the RPMS, probably like 3250RPM. Then I'd stop the boat and punch in 3250RPM for 32.3 MPH. Repeat for each speed. Now your baseline RPMS are in, and you won't have to do that again unless you get a new prop or something. The only adjustments you'll make after that are skier weight, crew weight, wind, or straight up RPM offsets to get correct times during your sets.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2008 at 1:20am
If your PP is Digital Pro then it has the magnet sensor, if not you can use a hand timer that comes with the PP. If you need one I'd be glad to loan you my timer fall button thing. I've never used, and probably never would.

M3 said it correct you have to set the rpm for each speed, then you can fine tune it after all is set by adding or subtracting rpms at each speed. On my two cc's 100 rpm was very close to 1mph. So if you wanted 33 mph you would select 32 mph and add 100 rpms, plus the crew and skier weight. Sounds like a pain, but its not once you get some time with it.

Sorry if I have rambled with the last two posts, spent the last two days traveling from Europe to TN, and am suffering a bit of jet lag.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2008 at 12:36pm
My PP is the wakeboard pro. The shop said that one was best for me. I am a recreational course skier, so it does not need to be exact, just consistent.

I will tinker with it this weekend.
NCH2OSKI View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH2OSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 11:27am
If its wakeboard pro you can set it up as Digital pro, you just need to cold start it and select digital pro or it will default to Wakeboard pro. The only other difference is the lack of timing sensor.

I ski with a friend who has kept his set up on Wakeboard pro, it works great for open water, and occasional pulls thru the course.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 11:10pm
Thanks Guys for all the input on this one. I took some time (tough to get on a ski club lake) and using both a GPS and a stop watch, calibrated times for 28, 30, 32, 34 and 36. I chuckled at 36 since I will never ski that, but I figured I might pull a few young bucks.

On balance my setpoint speed, PP speedo speed, my boat speed and the GPS were all in synch, at least enough for this hack skier.

Bottom line is my confidence is there that 32 means 32.

Thanks.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 1:03pm
Lakeboy,

I am new to PP too...just thought I would mention this. If you use a lift , make sure your bunks are not too narrow. I fragged my little padle wheel while up here on vacation...stern drifted over the bunk as I backed out...appears to be an easy replcement. Think I will order an extra one!

stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic