Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

floor pics

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: floor pics
    Posted: July-17-2008 at 10:51pm
Can you guys send me pisc of your floors(from the back of the engine to the stern).I have seen pics where the floor sides are seperate from the plywood in the middle? You can see the lines in between? It would not be hard to glass them in but I am thinking that they are supposed to be there so you can remove the ply to access the driveshaft?? Any help is greatly appreciated!Thanks
kevinindy
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:43am
What year/model are you working on? All of mine have a seperate pc of plywood that is removable to access the prop shaft packing.

Here's a pic of the new floor I just put in my 68 cuda a couple weeks ago..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:54am
Looks great! I have a 74 southwind. my sides appeard to be foam in the square cavaties with 2 strips of 2" wood put on the top of the foam and glassed over.The only actual plywood is the small square directly behind the motor? I assume that this plywood should be removable to access the packing gland? But there lies another problem, How to fasten it down without screws??
kevinindy
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 11:49am
What typy of plywood are you using? fur? and is is 1/2 or 3/4? I had nothing to go buy the p.o. laid 2x6 across the back??
kevinindy
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 12:50pm
Kevin - I don't know about a Southwind, but on my SN the center rear floor panel is not fastened down - it just lays there. It hasn't flown out yet LOL.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by kevin719 kevin719 wrote:

What typy of plywood are you using? fur? and is is 1/2 or 3/4? I had nothing to go buy the p.o. laid 2x6 across the back??

I used 5/8" BCX plywood and coated both sides with fiberglass resin to help waterproof it.
Heres a link to a post I started a few weeks ago when I replaced my floor.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 1:03pm
So does it kind of slide under your back seat? That would make sense because my battery box is back there.I thought that it was in the wrong place because my uncles 1975 mustang the batt is up front between the seats. But if this ply is not fastened down then the batt box is probably in the right place. Great there is one thing that i will not have to mess with! Thanks
kevinindy
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 1:08pm
Kevin,
Yes it does slide under the back seat frame on the cuda. I put 4 screws in that center pc just to keep the engine cover located.
Two screws are inside the engine box, the other two are under the rear seat....none of them show.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 1:17pm
What is bcx ply?? Is it marine ply?? Also I do not see any foam in your pics?? Did your boat not have it? Maybe you know but I am thinking that life would be a lot easier if after I pour in the foam I plywood over that and glass that in. The original was foam with 2 2" strips of wood in the top and glassed over.No plywood on the sides?I think that If I plywood the sides it will be much easier and straighter.Any suggestions on that or the foam?
kevinindy
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 1:18pm
too foam or not too foam, that is the question
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 1:25pm
Kevin,
give me a call... cell 815.631.3001
Steve
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 1:26pm
Hey if some of you guys have not foamed and have not had any problems let me know! I am up for that! That crap is expensive from us composites! And I huve dug a ton of that crap out! My wife is having our first child in about a month so I need to keep the cost down wherever I can but I want to make sure it is right! Do you guys know if they have c.c. clothes for babies?? It is a boy He will learn to ski in the the same brand of boat as I !
kevinindy
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2008 at 6:31pm
Kevin,

I have a boat that wasn't foamed and have had no issues with it. Some extra was sprayed under both decks and the gunnels as a flotation extra.

Do call Steve and he'll fill you in on the plywood types and grade. (marine not needed) I would like to add to his comment on coating the ply. CPES that's clear penetrating epoxy sealer is my choice. It's really great stuff. Jamestown distributing carries it. Also, stick with epoxy for any resin work on the boat.

The inside hull sides probably were upholstered tempered hardboard - correct?? To get anything straighter, you will be adding weight. If you are trying to do a original restoration on them, I would go with the hardboard again but give it a coat of the CPES. The old I'm sure is buckled from water moisture but sealing the new will prevent it from happening again.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 12:56am
yes the inside hulls are some type of plywood covered with upholestry.Behind the hulls was several long square styrofoam pieces some of which I have already lost or stepped on! What is the purpose of these? I could almost just put swimming noodles in there if necessary! Yes I came across that cpes sealer and was thinking of purchasing it.For the glasswork I have purchased 3 gallons of west epoxy resin and hardener and the thickening agent. I bought the slow hardener and now wish that I bought the medium! Thanks for all your help guys! I know that my boat will be pretty cool when I am finished! Next year I will bring it to a reunion if there will be one in the midwest!
kevinindy
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 4:03am
Kevin,
The CPES is definately better/easier to work with than fg resin. I dont have any stores nearby that handle the CPES,plus I already had the resin on hand so thats what I used. It will still probably last longer than the original floor.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 11:16am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Kevin,
I dont have any stores nearby that handle the CPES

Come on Steve! I know you live out in Podunk Il. but I'm sure you've seen a brown truck go by your place once in awhile. Even the guy who puts all the bills in your mailbox can help! With all those boats you're collecting, has Pam got you on a budget?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 11:25am
when it was decided by the USCG to foam the decision was only to foam boats under 20 feet, so Correct Craft used it to the advantage and said hey...we gotta foam these boats so lets build our floors on top of this foam, it has to be there.... we dont like it but its required, we'll redesign the floors and try to use the foam to our advantage.
IMO, foam sucks it has no use, it rots boats or traps water (if you want to use the angle that the new foams dont absorb water, instead now it traps water}
if you redesign the floors and add more struts and make the compartments water tight as possible the boat wont sink in 30 seconds. I have yet to see the advantage of re-foaming a boat. If you are in the predicament of sinking one of these boats, you probably deserve it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 11:28am
Pete, What happens to all that trapped water in the winter time? does it expand and possibly oil can the hull?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete, What happens to all that trapped water in the winter time? does it expand and possibly oil can the hull?

Absolutely! As a example, the boat I had for the kids for the day to day use was a Rinker 170 I/O. It has the rear seat bases glassed into a box and filled with foam. One winter it froze and was so saturated with water that it popped the seam where the box was glassed to the hull!

My feeling is to not try to make the compartments water tight without the foam but rather provide drains to the center bilge. Then as mentioned, add foam under the decks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 1:48pm
Was it in the late 80's or early 90's when some american cars had the rattle trap dash boards? My boat used to sound a little like that crossing a wake or across rough water...now it sounds more like a new BWM's door closing!

Had to toss something back over from this side of the fence! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2008 at 2:40pm
you better not be able to hear something over that BB,
Pete, I completely agree with the drain holes but to make the rest of the compartment water tight, if you stuff the boat the water wont go into the drains because of the air pocket and if you flip her the hull will be a giant air pocket, my statement was in regards to this fashion
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic