NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question from 88BFN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question from 88BFN
    Posted: July-21-2008 at 9:12am
Attached are a couple photos of what I am talking about. After we talked I decided to cut loose the stringers on the port side and see if the "hook" came out. It did not. I had my Dad stand in the boat in that area and his 200 lbs barely move the bottom. Based on that I am pretty sure it is molded in the hull to help trim. Basically it starts 18" forward of the transom and angles down so that at the transom it is 1/4" lower. I would love someone else to confirm that theirs does the same thing just for reassurance. Thanks for you help!

Jim

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 10:02am
if it bent that much you would see stress cracks in the area, cant confirm the curve but those were my first thoughts
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 10:28am
Thanks Eric, we talked about that yesterday. I think Jim mostly wants peace of mind before he puts the floor in.

I don't remember mine having a hook at all, but I will check when I pull it out again. I may have also missed that detail on mine; too bad he can't get on the site as I bet he is doing super nice work if he caught this! He did say he's done a couple other boats but not quite like this one.

I wonder which of our 2 boats was built first...maybe there's a month code in the hull #?
1988 BFN-sold

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 11:14am
There is a month code in the hull ID. Not sure which one it is but I know that somebody has posted on the site the hull ID breakdown. I know it's in the owners manual if you got one.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 12:52pm
I believe most boats have this hook for quickier planning and keeping the bow down, it can also used to balance prop. rotation, i know a few race boats wich have this, and someone has mentioned that CC did this as well. Check if equal amount of hook is on both sides of the boat.

Tiges have a non hook hull wich uses a trim tab for this matter.

I'd also believe that the hook on the back along with the reversed chines is what helps trap the air beneath the hull.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

There is a month code in the hull ID. Not sure which one it is

hull id month code
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 2:34pm
Ive never taken a level to a BFN, but I suspect thats normal. My '90 and '71 both have some hook over the last 18" of the hull.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Ive never taken a level to a BFN, but I suspect thats normal. My '90 and '71 both have some hook over the last 18" of the hull.

That's what he wants to hear!
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic