Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Steering to Starboard

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Steering to Starboard
    Posted: June-09-2016 at 4:56am
Thanks, I will try.

Ski you later...
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 2:24pm
Reference section is always a good place to start . . . .

If money can't buy happiness, explain beer and boats.
Gaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2016 at 5:44am
Hi Guinner,

My name is Gaby (Male) and i own a 2003 Nautique 196. This winter I replaced the steering cable. Now my boat is pulling to the left with cruising til full trottle.. The adjustment on the rudder is already complet tuned to the right. is that right or must the adjustment need to be tuned to the left like on your pics.
Thanks in advance.

Gaby Copini (The Netherlands)
Ski you later...
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 12:19pm
The photo is great and helps me undertstand the grinding idea. I guess that rudder is pretty salty in price.
1997 Super Sport Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 3:38pm
Believe the tunable rudder was introduced in 99', here is a pic of my 206', it has been adjusted for neutral steering, which happens to be my preference.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 3:28pm
Here is an informative article regarding rudder torque from Waterski Magazine

Rudder Torque Article

I did a few internet searches and it appears that if you want the boat to pull right, you take a bit off the right trailing edge of the rudder. If you want it to pull more left, you take a bit off the left trailing edge. All sources suggest that you take off only a bit, as 79 suggests, and test. A little shaving goes a long way.

Pete, I could understand why the front edge would work as well. But again, all the ski boat sources I've checked suggest the trailing edge.

FWIW Dan, Correct offered a tunable rudder by 2001 when I bought my boat. adjust two screws, and voila, neutral stearing. Your boat can be retrofit with the tunable rudder, but I don't know that it would be worth the money to do so.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 3:02pm
Dan, The trailing edge is the aft edge.

Brian, Grinding on the leading or the trailing is really determined by the rudder shape. The more rudder forward of it's pivit point, the more effect grinding on the leading edge has. IE: A rudder with all of it's surface aft of the shaft is only tuned on the trailing edge. It is done both ways.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 2:33pm
Brian, Thank you. I will leave the rudder alone for now. I need to pull my trans to inspect due to water intrusion. I have ordered a service manual from Skidim. No prob with trans slipping but due to pink trans fluid, I need to inspect the inside. I have a manly boat and it does not like the color "Pink".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 2:26pm
Dan, I just noticed you have a Super Sport V Drive. I have this boat as well. It naturally wants to turn left much easier than right. FWIW.

Also, Eric, I've never seen directions as to aligning the prop shaft on the VDrive. I assume it is similar to the instructions you've posted for the direct drive boats.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 2:25pm
I hate to seem dumb, but which edge is the trailing edge? So if i turn to the right would the trailing edge be the port side of the rudder? Do you grind an even edge from top to bottom? Clueless again
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 2:24pm
use a file and do it by hand a little at a time, couple pass' with the file drive couple more drive couple more untill it's where you like it.

and actually it might be the leading edge as that is the start of the flow and if it is rounded more on one side then it will travel faster on that side greating a pressure diference just like a wing correct?

I guess I would start by looking at the trailing edge and feeling by hand for a lip or a diference on one side or the other, maybe it curled like burr on one side that would create drag and make it turn towrds that side, maybe it the front, just take a close look and then an educated guess you've got a 50/50 change of getting it right and even if your not the first time then there's only on direction to go.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 2:19pm
Pete, I believe Tim is Correct, it is the trailing edge that is typically ground. I would do a few searches and make sure before I took a grinder to the rudder. I know you don't have to take off much to make a difference in handling. BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:19pm
Take a look at your rudder- its possible that a previous owner already ground one side of the rudder to load it- every Nautique Ive driven has been set up pretty neutral from the factory. The most common method is to grind a slight angle into the trailing edge. I believe you could set it back to neutral by grinding the opposite side.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:17pm
well how you load the boat and where guest sit can effect it some as well so it depends how strong of a pull is it? you want a little as in if you let go of the wheel it should go one direction or the other by it's self. But you shouldn't have to have popeye arms either.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by dcoll dcoll wrote:

You guys are incredible. It does not pull to the right. The reason I said that I would not grind is because that scares me. I can fix a lot of stuff but I cannot put back grinded metal. I need to cowboy up. It would be nice to steer the same both left and right. Make me a brave man.

Do the alignment first both on the trailer and then in the water. When I fine tuned mine sunday, a tiny pull in the steering went away!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:13pm
You guys are incredible. It does not pull to the right. The reason I said that I would not grind is because that scares me. I can fix a lot of stuff but I cannot put back grinded metal. I need to cowboy up. It would be nice to steer the same both left and right. Make me a brave man.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by dcoll dcoll wrote:

I will not be grinding the rudder. I will deal with the prop torque.

Dan, The grinding of the leading edge or the bending of the trailing edge of the rudder is the means of dealing with the prop torque. If you have heard something else, please tell us and we'll fill you in more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 12:05pm
I would take a look at the tracking fins and see if they are out of alignment or one is bent and you are fighting it all of the time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 11:59am
I was referring to the drive shaft alignment. Eric has a great thread on it that maybe should be made a 'sticky' post. Search 'alignment' and look for a several page thread by Eric.

No vibration is a great place to start!
1988 BFN-sold

dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2008 at 11:28am
No vibration going down the lake. I do want to check the alignment but not sure what alignment and how to check.
I will not be grinding the rudder. I will deal with the prop torque. Thank you all. This is like having a team of mechanics.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 8:15pm
Does the boat vibrate at all going down the lake? Alignment and the strut is what I'm thinking of.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 8:01pm
Dan, Since you say that the steering is the same when not moving then what you are feeling is prop torque. If it really bothers you, then you may want to look into tuning your rudder. I'm not a expert on it but the funny thing is I was just talking to a friend about it this afternoon. It involves ether grinding the leading edge or putting a slight bend on the trailing edge of the rudder. You may also what to tighten up the stuffing box on the rudder port. This will increase the force needed to turn the helm in ether direction but also it may not feel like the boats going to abruptly turn to port if you let go of the helm.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 3:59pm
I am not the original owner. I just bought the boat and it has been that way since i have owned. This is my first ski boat and I was hoping that it was prop torque. The steering is the same left & right when not moving.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 3:42pm
Dan, Did the hard steering just start or has it always been this way? If it just started, then it may be time for a new steering cable and if not, then it is just normal due to the prop torque.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 3:04pm
I have a 97 Super Sport and the steering is hard to turn starboard side. Very easy to port. Is this normal? How can I fix if not normal?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic