NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft misalignment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft misalignment
    Posted: July-23-2008 at 7:31pm
I have some questions about shaft misalignment.
This is for Eric or whoever. If the alignment is off causing wear in the case ,planitey ,etc. when the fluid was changed out wouldn't you see what appears to be metal in the fluid. Also you talked about trans temp being high what is the normal operation temp for these transmissions? I asume you would smell burnt fluid as well ? I am just asking for information here to help with trouble shooting. I normally change trans fluid when I change oil in the motor. I have drained the trans the first time ,I did it and pulled the screen and cleaned it as well. Had some black looking sediment in it but that was when I first got the boat and didn't know whatP.O. had done. since then I use a suction pump to change trans fluid. and do it every season or 50 hrs. I haven't notice any sediment or metal in fliud since changed on a regular schedule.

Booty
Booty
82,2001 82,2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2008 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Booty Booty wrote:

I have some questions about shaft misalignment.
This is for Eric or whoever. If the alignment is off causing wear in the case ,planitey ,etc. when the fluid was changed out wouldn't you see what appears to be metal in the fluid.

In my PCM 1.23, there is a magnet in the bottom of the case that does a good job of collecting all the shavings- so I would say no.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2008 at 10:26am

normal op temp is 180 and will vary by lake temp because water hits the trans cooler first and is not regulated. sediment normally goes right throught the strainer on the bottem of the trans whether it is a Borg or a PCM, the PCMS do have a magnet in front of the strainer
normally with M-A, the fine sediment will travel through the trans into the pockets and gather, alot will end up in the forward cylinder and drum on the inner most outside because of centrifical force. with M-a on borgs, you will overheat the bushings and they will shrink and what happens when it shrinks? it falls out and normally will not leave any sediment.
alot of times you may not find contamination from MA, it simply loads the output of the trans and causes an overheat situation and will foam the oil and out the breather it goes,
One thing i can say good about the PCM 1.23 is that the output gear is between 2 tapered roller bearings and can handle a touch more MA, the PCM 1:1 and the borg 1:1 use a ball type bearing and will deflect a touch more and cause more damage
A local tow guy called me yesterday and told me his trans burned up a third time(not my rebuild btw) in under 6 months, spun bushings and the trans is running hot all the time
i started questioning him and my very first thoughts were MA, and he told me you know, i had to move the mounts over because the holes were oblonged and i added some aluminum and so on... ding ding ding, his guy has to repair the trans a third time but again his trans guy shouldve caught this the first time, shame on him
Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2008 at 1:19pm
Eric Where would you install temp gauge to monitor temp also how about a pressure gauge, would these be usefull in trouble shooting? I haven't seen any foam come out of the vent cap on top. I am just getting in to checking this out Have not done alignment proceedure yet just asking some questions for knowledge. I have read all the post on misalignment. I may have forgoten or missed the part about operating temp in other post.
Booty
82,2001 82,2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2008 at 2:41pm
do the alignment before its too late! no need for temp sensors or or guages IMO, because with an engine you can control the outcome of an overheat situation, on the trans, besides MA if it heats up and boils the oil it usually is too late and tha trans wont overheat when the engine overheats, so i guess its personal preference. a good indicator would be a slipping trans or the oil will come out the breather usually at 200 degrees and will start to slip on you....and at that point there is nothing you can do besides check the alignment or even possibly linkage adjustment, or running them low. but any concerns as to putting a guage in you are the type to check things out first such as the level etc...before you operate the boat
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2008 at 7:57pm
I checked my trans temp by (quick) touch & compared it to the side of the exhaust manifolds. They were very close to the same amount of pain. So I assume the trans was running in the 180 degree range. Redneck metrology!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2008 at 8:00pm
if you spit on them and it skips off, you really got trouble lol
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2008 at 8:22pm
Spit is a little safer than touch I agree!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Booty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2008 at 1:03am
OK OK I get the message, I will start the alignment tomorrow and monitor the temp by touch or spit I would have done it todat but we live south of Houston and that hurricane spun off lot of rain in our area today Even though it hit north of Brownsville , gives you an Idea of the size of those things. In about a week we are heading to Austin and will run the boat on Lake Travis. I don't like Salt water that much anymore. Thanks for the info.

Booty
82,2001 82,2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic