NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dist/carb tuning question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 10:17pm
i vote for the cam being somehow someway out of time or keyed wrong,

if you took a bare long block with nothing on it, no carb, no distributor , just an intake with the correct size restriction. and you spun it with a drill at the front (this is theory) at 600 rpms....you would pull 18 inches of vacuum
the compression seems real low, but across the board. i would say your valves are opening to late or to early.
there is something wrong with the cam or as the doc mentioned the pistons

it keeps going back to vacuum but the compression ratio verify's it.
I dont know what the comp ratio is for the BBC but i bet it is up close to 150 psi, and again a good (correctly running) engine willlllllllllll pull 18 inches of vacuum, if your intakes are opening to early while the exhausts are open it will kill the vacuum of the engine
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2008 at 10:45pm
Yep Eric, I think our good buddy the Boat Dr is on to something here. The reference marks on my pistons are all to the front...I went back and checked my pics. Looks like I'll have to get a cam from Woody as well.

I thought I had researched this before I started...live and learn. Hopefully it won't be a season ender.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 10:11am
Dont worry Greg, I have done alot worse things to an engine than this, you hit a speed bump and its definitely not a season ender. start on a saturday morning and you should be on the water by dinner time
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 10:41am
I don't mind taking it apart and putting it back together so much...I'm more concerned about the price of the cam and whether Amy will come after me with a wooden bat or an aluminum one?!!? LOL

Assuming things stay as they look now, I'll be turning the pistons around and changing the cam.

new lifters?
new rod bearings?
new rings?

If this engine is so specifically tuned, should I put the original intake back on? Maybe even ditch the roller rockers and put it all the way back to stock?
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 11:14am
I dont know about this duck and cover strategy on a running boat, the cam being a gear tooth or two off sure but complete shot gun... I got to think about this where is the machine shop that was advising on all this now that the motor isnt quite what you would have hoped?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 11:32am
Greg, What's going on with you and the machinest? Billy mentioned it plus Joe just mentioned it. I too am wondering why you aren't asking him about the Marine cam he put in. Being a marine but gear driven instead of chain, is is backwards???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 11:44am
I'm going to talk to him after I talk to Woody. The cam is gear driven; the crank is RR and the cam is standard but with the reverse firing order...or it's supposed to be.

The cam didn't come in a PCM box and I think it needs to.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 11:52am
Jack chamberlin had one in stock, it was 280.00 i believe, lifters are cheap enough to replace with new, personally i would re-use the rod bearings and rings...thats me though, I dont think you have enough time on the engine. keep the rings in the same bore and the bearings on the sma spot on the crank
if your machinist recomended that cam i would definitely have a serious one on one with him...you paid him for his knowledge you shouldnt have to pay for his mistakes
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 12:23pm
We totally talked about this in the early going the std vs reverse rotation thing I thought you were going to be straight, anyway heres my take on a couple of the problems. First on the pistons, you need to talk to the piston manufacturer before you go taking out the pistions. If they were PCM pistons then they would have offset pins, if they are not the offset pin scenario is less likely in which case the direction only matters if you have valve cutouts that are direction specific. Do not pull out and turn around the pistons till you find out for sure they have offset pins.

On Low vacuum/low compression you could still be in a too tight rocker arm scenario. If your pushrods are too long or the rockers too tight your exhaust valves could not quite close and cause all your issues. This would be apparent with a leak down type test where you use air pressure to pressurize the cylinder then listen for leaks out the exhaust or into the intake.

Definitely give the machinist the opportunity to make it right before you tear all his stuff out and buy new and above all keep calm and open your wallet only as a last resort.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 12:28pm
I've just been taking this all in..

qvestion..did you open the throttle when testing compression? Or leave the butterflies closed? Hopefully the former not the latter.

Low vacuum at idle is a suspicious symptom, but you must verify that that is the max vacuum you can get by turning the distributer for best timing at idle. Turn til vacuum fails to rise. If after a reset on the idle speed and air screws If its still below 16"-17" I'm with you, something could be very amiss with the cam.

I think there is some confusion regarding he secondaries operation.

the vaccum you see at idle does not operate the secondaries. At WOT there is no vacuum.
But the secondaries are not a normally-open mechanism (they don't operate on the bench)....where does the vacuum come from?

I believe its venturi vacuum... meaning you need significant airflow throught the carb to generate the venuri vacuum to operate the secondaries.
this also suggest the engine is just not pumping the air is should be, and this may point to he cam again.

I agree talk to your rebuilder.
Consider taking the front cover off and verify the gears' alignment marks line up and/or see if the builder did some funky things with offset keys or dowels.

There is also a remote chance that all the carb and timing issues fould a plug or two that can't recover and clean itself. I've seen it before and took the front cover off an engine for nothing looking for a stretched chain and it was just a freakin bad plug.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 12:43pm
Was the engine cold when you did the compression test? If so, how much lower #s would you really expect to see?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Was the engine cold when you did the compression test? If so, how much lower #s would you really expect to see?

shouldn't see any difference as long as the lifters are primed.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 1:00pm
Just curious as all the reading I've seen says to perform the test on a warm engine. In a marine application I would think this is extra important considering the bigger piston-cylinder wall gap.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 1:37pm
I did do the comp test with the throttle open and the choke held open. I bought the tester yesterday and followed the directions.

My receipt from the machine shop only says '454 kit', and the guy who ordered it is off today, so I think I'll get a cam from Woody and be done with it. I tried every combo of everything already, so I think the cam must be it.

I also heard that the engine would have a strage knock if the pistons are in the regular way, and I've had this issue and still do a tiny bit. I thought that was rockers, but I can't find any trace of contact in the covers. Everything seems to be pointing in the same direction.

Thanks for the input guys!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 1:57pm
I did misunderstand the vacuum secondaries. I got it now that I think of how it's put together. There's a port into the venturis from the vac pot with a cork gasket.

The 2 I've taken apart both had a mostly crushed cork seal that nearly plugged the port. I cleaned them up but saw no improvement.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 2:40pm
Here's the piston orientation. The tops of these pistons are exactly like the old ones except for the manner of reference mark. These have a round depression and the others had a notch.

1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 4:30pm
Pulling the pistions is not a good idea if you dont need to, dont jump the gun there.

For reference I dont think your more than 7 or so psi off of the compression I calculated for a stock 8.5:1 engine, which is what the stock pcm 454 was. Your gauge could be off that much.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 4:33pm
At the end of the day I would probably end up pulling that cam anyway, or at least the lifters because for my money if I was a betting man you have one or two wiped lobes from the intial starting/breakin issues and thats your performance issue.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 4:40pm
you need to verify the firing order based on the cam before you start pulling everything. That way you will find out if it is the right cam or not.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 4:58pm
Chris, I have to pull the pistons and get them turned 180 degrees on the rod...that means taking it all apart anyway so I'll see what I find in there.

I'll find time to turn the wrenches. Did I ever tell the story of my 351 long block? It was worse than this...?!!?

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 5:31pm
All i can say is: in those years for the BBC thorough PCM there is a left handed cam and a right handed cam under different part numbers, why would they not use one common cam in both engines seeing that the cams spin the same rotation?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 5:40pm
Eric,
because to use the same crank the firing order has to be different.

And upon more thought, there is nothing one could do to the crank to use the same firing order, and therefore same cam.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

All i can say is: in those years for the BBC thorough PCM there is a left handed cam and a right handed cam under different part numbers, why would they not use one common cam in both engines seeing that the cams spin the same rotation?

Regardless of which way the cam spins, the firing order is specific to the rotation of the crank, no?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Regardless of which way the cam spins, the firing order is specific to the rotation of the crank, no?

YES but there are differences there as well and the cam can be different since the crank is done in pairs, so 1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8 are basicly on the same stroke on the crank just one is one the compression and the other exhaust so it can be changed based on the cam.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I think it is specific to rotation and not cross-referencing the PCM part #'s is a big mistake I won't make again. I trusted the shop to research it after I gave up on the roller conversion; I'll have a more 'direct' chat with them when the final verdict is in. I got a classic blank look this morning when I talked to them...apparently a little more than average thought went into the make up of this mill.

Back on my other thread, either crane or comp explained to me that a RR cam is a mirror image of a LH cam spinning the same direction. I think the chevy cams and dist's from this time period all behave the same way; CW for the dizzy and 'standard' for the cam. It's where the lobes are and isn't there a leading and trailing edge of the lobe? I'm no expert, but may soon be on this engine anyway...soaked up a lot of info through all of this.

I ordered the PCM cam from Woody and will compare the 2 when I get that far.

Thanks Woody for your time and help!!! I don't get in your neighborhood very often, but I will stop by someday to say that in person.

For now I'm decided on the piston turn and I even think I understand why. While I'm in there we'll all see whatever else I got the pooch on?!!?

I really would have put my money on having more trouble with the patch!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 6:28pm
see the thing here is Gregs cam probably matches the left hander which im sure the machinist got a crane or the equivalant cam thinking the left hander will work in a righty because it is spinning the same rotation, he's not backfiring all over the place so i think he has his firing order correct. i think the right handed cams may be degreed differently or some thing strange to that effect. its not making vacuum because of possibly to much valve overlap or the exhaust is opening early or to the likes and on the other end maybe the valves are closing early and causing low compression....?????? just some thoughts
all the signs are there for improper cam timing
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 6:43pm
I once read "Smokey Yunick's Power Secrets" in this book he claimed by running your wrist pins bacards you gainned a longer dwell time at tdc building more drive on the power stroke.So does it really matter which way the pins are off set?I think the cam might just be installed poorly in respect to timing I'd want to verify that and might take considerable thinking and sketching with a standard cam running backwrads to the crank.Do you have a cam card on this piece?

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 7:34pm
This is a pic from when it came apart. I didn't get the same pic on re-assembly, but I do know it went back this way. As I see it, there are only 2 ways to do this and 1 would be 180 degrees out. There is 1 dot on the crank gear and 2 on the cam gear...sorry they're hard to see.

I suppose there could be a problem...don't think so though.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2008 at 9:04pm
Greg, i think i may be misleading you with cam timing, im reffering to if the key or the pin is off on the gear causing the cam to be advanced or retaraded where it connects to the gear, sometimes on cams you have to use offset keys to get the cam back in time, but it is minimal with the key. I dont mean you you didnt hit the timing marks on the gear (or did you) lol
My point about the PCM cams were they both spin the same way and they are both are under a different part number and if the difference was the firing order you merely would switch the firing order not re-design the cam to match the firing order.
I had a problem with a BB cam a few years ago and in 3 hours the cam was a broomstick, the leading edge of the lifters acted like a lathe tool bit and ate it right down to nothing....i still to do this day dont know what happened and Crane of course said it was improper break in...thats my excuse with tranny's lol
I kept adjusting the rockers and they kept loosening on me....you should've seen the metal in that thing btw, i went to a roller after that.
hang in there you'll solve the problem
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2008 at 11:05am

My point about the PCM cams were they both spin the same way and they are both are under a different part number and if the difference was the firing order you merely would switch the firing order not re-design the cam to match the firing order.

Still wrong! The firing order of the cam has to match the crank, regardless of which direction it spins. The rise and fall slopes on the lobes would be correct in this case, but everythign else would be off. I suspect that you cant make a RH engine run very well with a LH cam just by switching the plug wires around.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic