Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 surging issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 surging issues
    Posted: August-04-2008 at 10:45pm
Hi all.
I've got a '95 ski Nautique with the 5.8 GT-40EFI motor. Just recently I started having a problem with the motor surging and bogging down after idling for a while. It's intermittent. It started after I used the boat to tow a small dock a few miles as I was selling an old Harbor Master. I towed it at idle speed basically. When I went to take off it goes fine for a bit, then surges and won't allow me to get up to speed. It doesn't cut out or stop. It sounds perfect when idling when I slow her down. On a couple of occasions we shut her down for a few to look at motor. She then started right up and ran smoothly. If she starts out smooth, she stays smooth. If she starts out surging, she stays surging. I've read a bunch of the posts, but they seem to do better after idling. Help please!
One other note, When I start her in the morning, she typically starts up right away. I've noticed lately that she'll not start cleanly. Don't know if it is related. My thought is fuel related, but maybe ignition?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 10:25am
clean the IAC passage.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 1:54pm
79, Intake Air Control? Will my motor (which is same as his, but carbed) have this possibility?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

79, Intake Air Control? Will my motor (which is same as his, but carbed) have this possibility?

no idle air control IAC
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 3:16pm
Thanks, I'll try that -once I figure out where and what it is! I'll have to do it this weekend as boat is at the cabin.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 3:33pm
go to the reference section on this site, select manuals, select Pro-Boss GT-40 manual, go to page 11 item 17.
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 9:11pm
Thanks again 79. You really are the guru, aren't you? I had downloaded the document earlier, but need to work on it tonight - you know the work thing. Thanks again though and happy turns!
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2008 at 12:21am
he's the guru.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic