NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new fuel pump.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new fuel pump.
    Posted: August-13-2008 at 1:16am
Got my new fuel pump in from Skidim. As you can see from the pic, I've run into a bit of a problem. The overflow hole connector, or whatever you call it, runs right into the oil pressure sending unit.

Anyone else run into this problem? Gary I know you said you were installing one of these pumps, how did yours turn out?

I'm wondering if this is soldered in. Could heat, remove, cut a bit off, then resolder. Maybe, but I would not want the heat to damage anything.

How about a different shaped sending unit?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 2:19am
David I never got that far yet, my old one is still working.I also have the same oil pressure fitting,so will have the same problem.I wonder also if that fitting can be pulled out,the hole plugged and a new hole drilled in the other side? I would think it's just pressed in. I don't even understand how it works, if that diaphragm fails fuel is supposed to rise up the site tube so you see it.What keeps the fuel from just filling up the oil pan? Is there another seal above that site tube fitting?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 3:02am
Above the diaphragm it is closed off, other than the hole to the tube fitting. There is a rod and spring that moves the diaphragm up and down, the rod goes through a small hole and connects to the arm that inserts into the engine.

I'll have to pull on the fitting a bit to see if it comes out. There's some kind of dried up residue that looks like it dripped from the hole. I was thinking it might be flux meaning that it could be soldered.

I'm sure we can figure something out before this new one fails.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 8:21am
David, Gary has got a good idea about putting the vent hose barb on the other side but it would require taking the pump apart, drilling-tapping and plugging. The square "mount" for the oil sender, is that threaded into the block? Changing it to a shorted pipe nipple and a 45 elbow may be easier. Even cutting off (shortening) the square mount and re-tapping it is a option.

The residue at the vent barb is probably a sealant used when they pressed it in. It wouldn't have been soldered. If you do need to move the vent barb to the other side, take a close look at the size of the boss where you put the barb fitting. It looks small even for a 1/8" pipe thread. There are some 10-32 hose barbs out there but not very common.

Are you going back with a rubber hose from the pump to the carb? Chris posted the very specific USCG rules that cover the use of it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 9:57am
David, that hex nipple with the oil sender should be removable Like Pete said, I think I would try to rework that to clear the fuel pump. I wouldn't suggest trying to re engineer the fuel pump.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 10:10am
David, Charlie's eyes are better than mine - the nipple mount for the sender is a hex and not a square like I mentioned!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 11:11am
I'd go to the hardware store and get the brass fittings you need to move the sender. Replace the hex extension with a shorter fitting and 45 up and out of the way. I had to relocate mine a bit when I tee'd in for a low oil pressure alarm.

That fuel pump way not be exactly true to original as most of the old ones I've seen the overflow barb angles up and out of the way.

Gary, If the diaphram ruptures the fuel will be forced up that tube and dump into the carb.

Not to get into a debate with anyone about USCG approved tubing but that overflow has always just been a clear piece of pcv tube.
pvc overflow tube
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 11:20am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Not to get into a debate with anyone about USCG approved tubing but that overflow has always just been a clear piece of pcv tube.
pvc overflow tube

I was referring to the high pressure fuel line to the carb and not the vent line. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 11:27am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

pvc overflow tube

I was referring to the high pressure fuel line to the carb and not the vent line. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Pete, I didn't really pick up on that, think I was stuck on the overflow since that was the initial converstaion. Besides, I try not to start arguements with people smarter than me.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 11:57am
to clarify what it is as not prior mentioned, it allows the diaphram to stroke up and down pulling and pushing air in and out. it is a vent tube and acts as an overflow if the diaphram ruptures and you can use clear pcv line because its use is primarily for ambient air not fuel
"the things you own will start to own you"
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 12:16pm
Yes you can feel the air venting out of the hole when you work the pump. Like Eric said.

I compared this one to my old pump and although my old pump did not have the nipple mount, the hole was in the same place. Everything above the filter canister looks exactly the same as the old one.

I think I'll look into reworking the oil sender extension. Sounds like the way to go. Put that on this list for the winter. Along with the rest of the engine, stringers, etc.

I don't think I'll need the overflow line for the two trips I might make this year. At least I better not, that pump wasn't cheap and it better hold up for years before I need the overflow.

Same with the high pressure line to the carb. I know I'm supposed to use a certified rubber hose or metal line but I believe I'm going to stay with what came with the boat for my 1-2 trips. Skidim doesn't have a line that works with my carb and the rubber one is just to damn expensive. So I think I'll have to look into making one. That or perhaps I'll get a Holley over the winter and us the line Skidim offers for that. Either way, I'll have it taking care of before next year.

Boat goes in the water Saturday!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

Skidim doesn't have a line that works with my carb and the rubber one is just to damn expensive. So I think I'll have to look into making one. That or perhaps I'll get a Holley over the winter and us the line Skidim offers for that. Either way, I'll have it taking care of before next year.

Pre flared 1/4" brake line is the way to go but you'll need a tubing bender. Get a couple different lenghts and be prepared to make a bad one!! It's the less expensive (but safe way) to go.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 11:06pm
I'll definitely look into that. Thanks for the advice!

Does anyone use any type of Teflon tape on these gas fittings?
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 11:40pm
Some Auto Parts stores, like Advance and Auto Zone will let you use their bender. Sometimes they do not let them leave the store. If not, you can use Pipe Cleaners to get the bends correct so that you can bend the tubing at the store.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 9:12pm
Vondy,

Any chance skidim sent you the wrong pump? They have two that fit Fords, one for PCM (item 0406)the other for Indmar (item 0438). The PCM one has the vent on the other side.

Mark
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2008 at 9:37pm
Mark,I take the blame.I had no idea that the vent tube would hit. Since we both have HM engines with the fuel filter mounted on the pump originally,I thought it would be easier just to get a pump with the filter already on it than to buy and try to find a filter unit and find a place to mount it. When I go to use mine I'm going to move the vent on the pump.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 12:38am
You know I sent them an email and asked, they said it would work. Or they said they don't see any reason why it would not work.

I think I'll try to move it as well.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 9:24am
it look as if you could cut it short and buy a rubber vacuum 90 at the parts store. its main reason is venting and rarely does a fuel pump rupture.
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 11:43am
unscrew the oil pressure gauge, unscrew the extention from the block that the gauge was mounted to, get a shorter 45 extention just like the one you removed at the auto parts or hardware store put the stuff back together call it a day. Hell just leave the extention out and screw the gauge right into the block problem solved.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 11:49am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Hell just leave the extention out and screw the gauge right into the block problem solved.

Don't think that gargantuan sending unit will fit attached directly to the block but a quick trip to the hardware store for a few plumbing parts and he should be good to go.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 12:17pm

Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Hell just leave the extention out and screw the gauge right into the block problem solved.

Don't think that gargantuan sending unit will fit attached directly to the block but a quick trip to the hardware store for a few plumbing parts and he should be good to go.

it looks tight but I know I was able to remove it on mine. Regardless a short 45 will get it out of the way.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 3:46pm
Great ideas everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic