Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tight steering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Charlie Tango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tight steering
    Posted: September-01-2008 at 3:00pm
Is there a way to lubricate a steering cable on a 1988 SN2001? The steering is tight equally to both sides. I disconnected the shaft from the rudder and the rudder turns free. I turned the wheel with the cable disconnected and it is still tight.
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2008 at 11:14pm
My grandpa has an 89, and His is very tight too! You need too hands to turn it! I think there is a grease fitting on the back of the steering wheel. Maybe you rudder packings are cranked down to much, that'l do it.
74SkiNautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2008 at 11:47pm
Charlie & Gramps both need new steering cables. They're not cheap but neither is a liability lawsuit when you run someone over. You will have to order them thru a CC dealer - aftermarket ones don't fit right.

It's only about a 1 hour job to change them.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 9:56am
hmmm...If I remember, (i was too young) My grandpa said it did it from the day it was NEW! Could it be a faulty cable from the factory? MY 74 turns on a dime, and u can drive with your finger tips! Really nice.
74SkiNautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic