NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

best place for mufflers

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best place for mufflers
    Posted: September-03-2008 at 7:28am
Mark, The MC comment wasn't directed to you. In fact, I don't even think about you having a MC anymore. One of these days we'll get you over to a decent boat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 12:50am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris, You need to be careful on where you get your information. The people you asked about the muffler may be MC owners!!

HW is correct that you better not be asking them for any help.

OK Pete......I'm home from the lake and back to wishing I was skiing and boating! I'll assume the comment is just a test to see if I'm paying attention.

By the way, I finally found a nice home for those trailer guide pads from Green Lake. They are helping keep a 176 looking sharp on its trailer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 9:32pm
Gary, The HM's always make the "brapping"!! That's what I used to keep all my neighbors awake with at 3 AM back when I had the 70 Cuda!! (Now I'm at work at 3!!) The good old days are gone.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 6:31pm
When I first got mine running, I had replaced all the hose. At wot it made a funny brapping sound,which I think was due to HM manifolds and short 3" hose.Had some short custom mufflers made and now it sounds like glass packs, a nice even sound.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 2:37pm
Well I am planning to pull my mufflers next week for testing (assuming a rainy day happens between now and then) and have access to a sound meter but nothing is stock now except the mufflers and I am not going hose all the way back just putting in a galvanized pipe for testing.

I dont know that the pipe vs hose thing is all that pronounced though. My 67 was as loud a correct craft I have heard and it has hoses all the way back.   Come to think of it I ran the 83 with the exact same engine and the mufflers it was much much much quieter so assuming it was the mufflers and not the extra 8-10 inches of distance between the engine of the hull I guess I am convinced that the mufflers make a lot of difference at least for really loud engines...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Honestly, I'm not convinced that rubber hose all the way back is louder than the stock fiberglass mufflers. I'd be interested to do some actual dB comparisons from the back seat, swim platform and 75' back.

I'm not convinced ether!

Me neither. My Tique and Skier sound the same to me- the '78 has the fiberglass mufflers, and Im assuming the '71 does not. No idea if the Skier has copper or straight hose, but Im assuming there are no mufflers under there. The exhaust is still glassed in so I wont be checking anytime soon.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 1:26pm

Honestly, I'm not convinced that rubber hose all the way back is louder than the stock fiberglass mufflers. I'd be interested to do some actual dB comparisons from the back seat, swim platform and 75' back.

I'm not convinced ether!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 1:02pm
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 6:53pm
well alright....I guess they did have a form of muffler. I was just unaware of it. Thanks. I prefer LOUD and manly sounding! haha
74SkiNautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2008 at 8:35am

Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

ive seen almost every model from 74-93, and all 88's and earlier have dual exhaust and ive asked owners, they say no mufflers.

Good thing you found this site, I wouldn't be asking any of them for help.

Chris, You need to be careful on where you get your information. The people you asked about the muffler may be MC owners!!

HW is correct that you better not be asking them for any help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 8:22pm
all i was saying is was i knew. And i thot that the Varnae i think it is called, that is from 89 on. Right behind the engine. I was not aware of the cherry bombs. I just have copper pipes going to the back.
74SkiNautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 2:38pm

ive seen almost every model from 74-93, and all 88's and earlier have dual exhaust and ive asked owners, they say no mufflers.

Good thing you found this site, I wouldn't be asking any of them for help.
jjtaub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjtaub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 2:34pm
The boat is in the water now..as the leak is pretty small. Id like to get this last weekend on the lake before I start. if the leak gets much bigger I have to take the boat out.

I will definetly measure everything..especially because that hose is about as expensive as the Alaskan pipeline per foot
JJTaub
78 Ski Nautique-past
94 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 2:25pm
James,
Check the outside diameter of the mufflers before you buy them. Some are too large to fit between the primary and secondary stringers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 1:43pm
sometimes the crimp in the hose is because it's actually a shade too long for the space/length between the riser and muffler, might try cutting a 1" or two off of the hose. You can use a piece of tape to make a reference line for where the hose should end relative to the muffler making on the hull/stringer, disconnect the hose, lift up the muffler to get it out of the way and let the hose lay without the crimp on the hull's bottom and see how much of the end of the hose goes past the refernce point you marked to determind how much to cut-off.

Remember you can't added it back once it's been cut so small amounts are better. .02
jjtaub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjtaub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 12:58pm
That picture is my boat. Well Mine is red.. but close enough.

Right where the #11 is my exhaust hose has slight crimp from having too sharp a bend. I see that there are mufflers that have an elbow.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9077&familyName=Centek+Verna+Ski+Muffler

I will go with two of these, some hose. If the wife will approve the expenditures I may do a set of GT-40p heads and perhaps an intake. I can do a good inspection of the manifolds and risers while I have it all apart.
JJTaub
78 Ski Nautique-past
94 Ski Nautique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 11:47am
#22 is your muffler on a dual exhaust, standard until they changed to the Inverta flow single exhaust system. These bullets are listed as standard equipment in the 77 brochure and I've seen them as far back as 76.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 8:20am

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

You have a 78??? WHO PUT MUFFLERS ON!!! the mufflers didnt come out until 89!

I don't think that is accurate.

well...not factory until 89

The inline mufflers between the stringers were started in the mid 70's so, the factory mufflers were standard well before 89.

Chris, you should do some research and listen to the old guys here!!!

I do however agree - who needs mufflers!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 3:32am
Best place for mufflers? In the dumpster.

Got hose on mine from the maniflods to the transome. Yeah..it is nice and loud. Can't even hear the radio. Oh...ain't got one.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 2:43am
74. they had mufflers min still has them... they are under the removable floor.
mufler befor 87 or 88

i think your refering to the other muffler for after 87 the one that goes right after the engine that converts the 2 hose to 1 exhaust. i just can't seem to find a pic

edit: foud a pic are you refering to the thing after the engine????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 2:13am
and.. i do know for sure b/c i just changed my piped and hoses, and my grandpas 89 has single exhaust, 4", with a muffler. ive seen almost every model from 74-93, and all 88's and earlier have dual exhaust and ive asked owners, they say no mufflers.
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 2:10am
that is very strange. All correct crafts i have seen, after 88, all have mufflers, i saw an 87 last week that didnt!
74SkiNautique
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 1:59am

Yea 3" for dual exhaust, 4" for single i think. Maybe it was an option, but as far as i Know, the SN's had dual exhaust and straight pipes up until 88. Maybe yours are custtom. IN 89 they switched to the muffler with 1 4" pipe. I say, get rid of mufflers all together. They are only good at night when people are sleeping on the lake! but otherwise, i like to brag about my V8 on the water!!! haha

If you don't know for sure then don't post. I know my '86 has mufflers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 1:45am
Yea 3" for dual exhaust, 4" for single i think. Maybe it was an option, but as far as i Know, the SN's had dual exhaust and straight pipes up until 88. Maybe yours are custtom. IN 89 they switched to the muffler with 1 4" pipe. I say, get rid of mufflers all together. They are only good at night when people are sleeping on the lake! but otherwise, i like to brag about my V8 on the water!!! haha
74SkiNautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2008 at 12:51am

My 77' had original mufflers, if that is what they were, looked like Cherry Bombs just as Jim describes. Not sure how safe it is but have seen guys use heavy PVC or perhaps Galvanized or Stainless tube?

I would guess 3"??
jjtaub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjtaub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 11:42pm
Hmm a quick look. says copper might be more than mufflers..

Off hand any body know is it 3" or 4" in my boat?
JJTaub
78 Ski Nautique-past
94 Ski Nautique
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 11:30pm

i don't think so either my 86 has muffler in it and i guess erlier had them to
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 11:20pm
I'm not sure that these days that copper is any cheaper.I used rubber all the way before I put mufflers in mine.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 11:05pm
My 74 has the hoses off the manifolds, which connect to a copper pipe that runs to the back outside the stringer, then hose to the thru-hull. the copper pipe i am guessing is 5-6 feet long. Not sure though. I am sure, you could run all rubber hose to the back, but it is EXPENSIVE stuff! IF your floor is up. then getting a copper pipe cut is not hard. The hose from the manifold is 22" long. And then 14" for the thru hull to the back of the copper pipe. so, to give an idea of how long.
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2008 at 11:03pm

74SkiNautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic