NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

buffallo bfn floor question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: buffallo bfn floor question
    Posted: September-20-2008 at 12:48am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Pete, with the turtleneck under the long sleeves in July I can't imagine you need much more insulation!

Kev, Wait until you get older!!

HW...don't forget the initials embriodered on the cuffs too.

Sorry Pete...couldn't resist.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Pete, with the turtleneck under the long sleeves in July I can't imagine you need much more insulation!

Kev, Wait until you get older!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 12:21pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2008 at 9:36am
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Pete

If I ever build or gut a house I will spend big on the insulation after seeing how well this works.

Tim

Tim, If you ever get to this point, just do your research.

Your Dad's shop is very well insulated and he will certainly enjoy the benefits.

I too looked at 2x6 walls but have you priced out lumber lately? A stupid 2x4 is up let alone a 2x6!! Your Dad also has the extra costs with foam board/sheathing plus the labor to install it. I'm going for the biggest bang for the buck with the spray foam in a 2x4 cavity. My original house that will be gutted and added onto is sided with batten on board cedar. I'll be adding about 3 times the sq. footage. By siding all the new with T1-11 (12" ctr's) and putting on battens, it will duplicate the old. The nice thing about the T1-11 is it goes directly onto the stud wall acting as both sheathing and diagonal bracing. That's a major cost savings off-setting the spray foam. The other cost reduction although not large is not needing the inside vapor barrier. The system is very basic: T1-11, 2x4 studs, spray foam and drywall.

BTW, Your Dad's average R is 27 if the 2x6's are on 16's. It would be slightly higher if they are on 24's. Very good!! What did he do with the ceiling insulation?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 1:44pm
Pete-

I think I missed some details:

Outside is Steel siding. Then 1/2" of foam. 2x6 studs with R-21 fiberglass in between them. Inside has the 1" foam and then plywood ( I forget the trade name of the wood thats on the inside).

If I ever build or gut a house I will spend big on the insulation after seeing how well this works.

Tim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2008 at 11:40am
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Warning- Off topic!!
Pete-
The real payback is putting 1" of foam over the studs and then your wallboard over that. The studs conduct heat/cool. My dad did this in his shop and it is very efficient. Cool in the summer, and not hard to heat in the winter.
Tim

Sorry off topic continued!

Tim,

You're correct that the heat loss via the stud area is relatively higher than the stud cavity. (wood has a R factor of about 1 per 1") If you have ever seen a IR picture of a studded house it's quite obvious where the studs are!! I did consider the addition of 1" foam at one time but pretty much decided on the spray foam. I ran some calculations and here's why:

A spray foam wall will have a average R22.9 The stud area is 1.7% of the BTU loss.

A standard fiberglass insulated wall with the addition of a R5 foam board has a average R17.1 The stud area is 5% of the btu loss.

A standard wall without the foam board has a average R of 12.1 and it's heat loss via the stud is 3.4%

Keep in mind that these BTU% losses via the stud areas are very misleading because they don't factor in the overall R rating of the complete wall. IE. The wall with the foam @ 5% stud area loss is actually better than the standard wall @ 3.4%!!

I'm sticking with the spray foam. Don't forget that with the 1" foam, you may need to order door and window jamb extensions at extra cost or possibly extra cost jamb widths.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by kevin719 kevin719 wrote:

but on a large building it would not be very cost effective to do the whole thing with the two-part.

Kevin, Since you're in the field, do some BTU loss calculations on adding a extra R10 to a 2x4 cavity and see what it comes out to. With large or small buildings and todays cost of heating, the pay back may be less than you think!! The spray foam has been used on industrial/commercial roofs for over 30 years.

Warning- Off topic!!

Pete-

The real payback is putting 1" of foam over the studs and then your wallboard over that. The studs conduct heat/cool. My dad did this in his shop and it is very efficient. Cool in the summer, and not hard to heat in the winter.

Tim

kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 6:57pm
pbrainard I have been doing some reading and I am starting to think that most of the sprayed in foam in construction is closed cell poly(2-part) The open cell poly(isocyanurate) is less flamable,lower r-value(2x4 wall r13   2x6 wall r20).The water mix foam is called icyne.(I remembered that I did see a contractor using this water foam in a building downtown.That must be what i was thinking.Anyway the water foam is even more expensive! There is a good page on wikipedia under building insulation materials
kevinindy
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 4:23pm
No pbrainard I am indirectly in the field. I repair construction equipment(mostly drill rigs nowadays) but I just pulled up the foam and did a little reading,and have been to many jobsites over the years.I was basically trying to say to h2oloo to check with the guy on the type of foam since there is a open cell out there being used.For some reason I am thinking that most insulation contractors use the open cell around here.If you can get a high enoung rfactor for the codes and not to mention the fire codes.I would think that the water(oxygen)activated foam would be more fire retardent.And its definetely cheaper.I could be 100 percent wrong (wouldnt be the first or last time)But I will check.And if he can get it done for a case of beer?That is great!I am estimating at least 400 from us composites to finish my floor.What are your thoughts on my foam not expanding when I got to the bottom of the cans? The only thing that I can think of was too much heat from pouring in the same cavity?? I know it was mixed good from the color change.
kevinindy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 3:56pm

but on a large building it would not be very cost effective to do the whole thing with the two-part.

Kevin, Since you're in the field, do some BTU loss calculations on adding a extra R10 to a 2x4 cavity and see what it comes out to. With large or small buildings and todays cost of heating, the pay back may be less than you think!! The spray foam has been used on industrial/commercial roofs for over 30 years.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 3:41pm
No pbrainard The water based foam was the stuff that I pulled up from a contractors supplier. For them to use the twopart closed cell the material would have to be mixed at the nozzle like the smaller version at handi-foam.On larger construction sites(where they typically contract out the insulating with a sprayer ect) I believe that they do use the open celled water poly.I also believe that they use the 2-part around the outlets and electrical so no water will be absorbed. I work for a structual engineering firm and will ask one of the engineers when I return this week. But h2oloo if your guy uses the closed cell and will do it for a case Also I know that the building codes will be different in all areas but on a large building it would not be very cost effective to do the whole thing with the two-part.
kevinindy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 3:38pm
Kevin,
I happen to be well versed in the spray foam for home insulation as well. I plan on using it in my northern Wisconsin retirement home - I don't need high fuel bills on a fixed income!! There are many different foams. You are correct that there are some cheap open cell moisture cures not suited for a boat. The Handi-foam isn't one of them.

Yes, the 2 part polyurethanes are used for building insulation and yes they are expensive but will pay for themselves in the long run. There isn't another system that will give you a R25 in a 2x4 cavity. Also, by using it, other costs in building a home can be reduced. No exterior sheathing is needed (just let in diagonal corner bracing) and since it is a vapor barrier, you don't need the typical poly sheathing on the inside.

Visit the Handi-foam site again. You must be doing some different navigating than I am. The link I provided will take you directy to the slow rise two part for filling cavities.

BTW, once cured, epoxy resin will not affect the foam.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 2:53pm
The spray in insulation used around here is a polyurethane closedcell and is recommended as a vapour seal and mould and mildew preventative. I had him shoot a plastic bag full and when it sets up I will weigh it and float it on my pond. He said to leave it there for a week and he bets that it won't have picked up moisture.We'll see!
70 Mustang project
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 2:45pm

I know that you know a lot about boats but it took me 5 minutes to find the chemical make-up of both foams.The spray-in insulation foam is a OPEN-celled POLYURETHANE low density foam.This foam is mixed with water when sprayed.They do also make a pourable(not sprayable) insulation foam that is a 2-part like the u.s. composite,but it also is a low density foam. There may be people or shops using this stuff out there but now you have the facts to think about.The manufactures website that I found was a company called Demilec.This stuff also says that it meets coast guard specs.

Kevin, You must be looking at a different foam product! This is off the Handi-foam site:

"Handi-Foam Two-Component Foam is a chemically cured foam system. Since Two-Component Foams do not rely on moisture in the air in order to cure they can be used to fill large spaces and voids or sprayed on walls and in cavities without concern for delays in curing and hardening. Unlike most spray foams, Handi-Foam is closed cell foam. This closed cell design offers not only excellent insulation and draft sealing but also serves as an air and vapor barrier, discouraging the development of mold and mildews."

No water as Handi-foam isn't a moisture cure.
It is a 2lb. per cu. ft. foam.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 2:40pm
I checked out the handi-foam site and they do have a 2 part sprayable closed cell it says for insulating around electrical outlets,hottub repairs,ect.. I guess that every supplier has different foams. It seems to be a good price (sprayer included) but I wonder about the strength?? I also wonder if you can epoxy over it without melting? But I still do not think that this is used for buildings,it would cost way too much. I may be wrong but It would be more practical to insulate a building with the open celled water based poly.
kevinindy
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 2:23pm
I know that you know a lot about boats but it took me 5 minutes to find the chemical make-up of both foams.The spray-in insulation foam is a OPEN-celled POLYURETHANE low density foam.This foam is mixed with water when sprayed.They do also make a pourable(not sprayable) insulation foam that is a 2-part like the u.s. composite,but it also is a low density foam. There may be people or shops using this stuff out there but now you have the facts to think about.The manufactures website that I found was a company called Demilec.This stuff also says that it meets coast guard specs.
kevinindy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 7:37am

This is a closed cell urethane foam.I think that it was originally supposed to be for floatation and needs to not soak up water,but. the water will get trapped between the foam and wood if it is not sealed properly! I dont think that the foam will really help with flotation unless you fill the boat with water.But it is good for sound deadening. I would think that the insulation used for inside buildings would not need to be water resistent but I guarantee that there will now be several post from guys that know the chemical makeup of each type! I am sure that anything(sealed) or nothing but air is better than heavy waterlogged foam.

Wrong, The urethanes foams used by building insulating contractors are the same 2 part closed cell.

If you are doing a ply floor, I've mentioned it before that I prefer injecting the foam into the cavity. Foam in a closed cavity self skins at the outer surface forming a added barrier against moisture. I've used at least 20 of these large 600 board ft. (50 cu. ft.) kits through the years and find them very easy to use. Smaller sizes are available. The kits come with several nozzels ether spray or injection. The injection nozzles can be used with 1/4" poly tubing to extend deeper into the cavity.

handi-foam

" The Handi-Foam SR systems meet the Coast Guard Specification requirements for flotation in Title 33 Code of Federal Regulations, Paragraph 183.114. Contains no formaldehyde."

There is virtually no waste from mixing up small batches guessing at the correct amount or having to overfill and cut down the foam to level it out. The mixing is done at the nozzle.

Even if you are not doing a ply floor, I would use the Handi-foam with the spray nozzle.

Do the calculations and compare the pricing to the "marine" flotation foam you are using.

I'm really surprised that no one here has tried the method yet! Brian (Fins) even posted a pictorial of the guys over on fiberglassics.com using it on their restorations.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 11:43pm
This is a closed cell urethane foam.I think that it was originally supposed to be for floatation and needs to not soak up water,but. the water will get trapped between the foam and wood if it is not sealed properly! I dont think that the foam will really help with flotation unless you fill the boat with water.But it is good for sound deadening. I would think that the insulation used for inside buildings would not need to be water resistent but I guarantee that there will now be several post from guys that know the chemical makeup of each type! I am sure that anything(sealed) or nothing but air is better than heavy waterlogged foam.
kevinindy
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 10:09pm
Did you consider getting a home insulation guy to spray it? Is that the right type of foam? I was thinking this because I know on a Friday afternoon I could visit a building site and get the boat foamed for a case of beer. Just wondering!
70 Mustang project
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 2:35pm
I was mixing up approximately quart batches.I am wondering that if filling the same cavity generated too much heat for the last batches to expand correctly.The first two batches was like watching an alien grow or something.It is really nice to be putting this foam in and not grinding on glass and cutting wood for a change! This 4lb foam is rock hard! I just bought it because it was what their site recommended.I will post some pics here soon and you will see some striking similarities!This will be nice when finished! I am glad that I pulled up the ply to foam!
kevinindy
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 1:23pm
I figured that's what you meant...but had to ask! LOL

I used 2lb...several here have used 4lb. What's your weather like and what size batches are you mixing? What I'm getting at is smaller batches are easier to get fully mixed before it kicks.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 12:23pm
Yeah im sorry I meant to say the 2- gallon cans. It just seams like I will use 6-8 kits! The first finished section looks great and feels strong! I bought the 4lb. foam, is that what you used? Thanks Kevin
kevinindy
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2008 at 8:45am
Hey Kevin, I did use 3 16lb kits plus half of a little kit from west marine. I'm not familiar with the 'guts' of a SW, but they should be similar. I'm also not sure what you mean by the 'first gallon'. What I used came in 2 one gallon cans, and I didn't notice any difference from the top of the cans to the bottom. The 2 parts do have to be mixed thoroughly and quickly. I found small batches easier to get completely mixed.

I don't know how much I used where because I poured the bottom all the way around and added to it rather than finishing a compartment before moving on.

Hope this helps!

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2008 at 8:21pm
If I remember correctly you said that it took almost 3- 16lb. foam kits from u.s.composites to complete your floor on your deep v?? I used up my first gallon and I have the very rear section filled and half of the next?? Is my boat(southwind 1974) maybe deeper?? Or do you remember the back sections using that much.Also I noticed as I got to the bottom of the can the foam did not expand like the first 3/4 of the can.Maybe I need to try and shake up the next gallons? Any thoughts?Kevin
kevinindy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic