Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop tightness?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop tightness?
    Posted: October-18-2008 at 9:50pm
How do you check the prop and bushings and shaft?I can turn the prop but it is not what I would call easy and I definetely could not give it a spin??
kevinindy
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2008 at 11:35pm
Kevin,

I will be home all day sunday if you want to stop by. Let me know.

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 12:18am
Hey Sam yeah Ill call and stop by in the afternoon.
kevinindy
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 12:32am
Sounds good! I look forward to it.

Sam
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 10:34am
Kevin,
Even with a properly aligned shaft/strut/log/engine you can't "spin" the prop. Connect with Sam and discuss it. If needed we can get you through the alignment. (wouldn't be a bad idea anyway!) There are several threads on it including Eric's on aligning the engine

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 6:25pm
Yeah I stopped by Sam's today.Great guy and awesome boat! His prop is the same tightness as mine but I will probably do an alignment after I finish the interior this winter.Will probably change the strut bushing and whatever else is needed!
kevinindy
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2008 at 11:57pm
I took my strut to a machine shop and let them get the strut bearing out. I think the strut bearings are overpriced. I went over to white lake, it was $92. That's alot for a piece of metal with some rubber inside of it.
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 7:48am
Tim, Sounds like they charged you over the list price! 1" for $32.65

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 7:42pm
The one they stock is about 7" long, you cut it to length for your year.
Tim D
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2008 at 6:16pm
i had my shaft straighten and then all allingned and when boat is in the dry bed a the storage facility, its hard to turn it by hand as the shaft kind of get stopped by the friction of the strut bushing rubber. But if i put some soapy water through the shaft and it penetrates the strut it will spin smoothly (sounds a little xxx). I think its ok as water act as lubricant to the bushing or am I wrong?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 9:52am
yes the water acts as a lube and a coolant, its the same concept with anything liquid and friction, you need a means to transport heat away. dry pumps are also hard to turn
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic