NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bolt size

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bolt size
    Posted: October-21-2008 at 10:04pm
I need to know the size of the bolts that fasten the riser elbow to the exhaust manifold. I think they come it to sizes two longer ones and two short ones. I need to replace them as i will replace the old gasket and the bolts are kind of frozen in there (already broke one, and left it in teher). So I'd like to finally replace that gasket and bolts. Any ideas on how to remove the bolt or how to make the new threads for the new bolts?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 10:21pm
If any of the bolt is sticking out you can use a bolt extractor,small pipe wrench,or vice grips. If it is broken off flush first try a punch with a point driving it into bolt at a angle so it will turn counterclockwise.If you are lucky it will work.If you would heat up bolt first it would be better.Or you can drill and use a easy out or just drill and tap(I would rather drill and tap because if the bolt is really stuck you take the chance of breaking off the easy out and thus a even bigger problem!!Good luck!
kevinindy
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 11:01pm
Use a mig welder and weld a nut to it. Back it out while it's still hot.

Use a dab of never seize on the replacement.

Matt
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 12:25pm
I just went through this process. Both my long bolts broke off, luckly there was just enough bolt sticking out I could get vise-grips on them. The first one came out just using the vise-grips and working it back and forth till it loosened up.
The other would not budge. I ended up heating up the manifold around the bolt just short of it turning red-hot and it came out fairly easily.
Be careful to heat around the bolt not the bolt itself. If you heat the bolt itself it will get soft and snap-off again.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 3:01pm
Could someone show pics of the tools needed to pull out the broken bolt out of the thread as some technical words are hard for me to translate. I will also post tonight some pictures of the manifold situation, they are rusted in place where it conect the the cylinder heads, I think i will also remove them, and probably will have some more wroken bolts!!! but anyways whats the size of all the bolts involved in this task?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 6:14pm
Get some PB blaster or AERO Kroil. Heat..then soak several times.

I think they are 3/8-16??

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 2:54am

you can see why i need to replace the gasket

and this is the rust in the bottom of the manifold. pictured is the worst of the ports 3rd cylinder from drivers side

scary huu
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 10:16am
I use Brackets method, I will clean the broken stud and fit a nut of equal size over it, heat it to the point where it is ready to melt and the zap it with the mig welder while hot, let it cool then back it out. sometimes it takes a couple try's but it is effective. its last ditch if you cant remove with vice grips. its even been successful when the stud is flush. the key here though is heating the nut and stud when mig welding it
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 12:14pm
Kalpa, Don't worry about the rust on the bottom of the manifolds, they all rust up like that. I haven't seen a paint yet that will not burn off of there within a few hours of running. I used high temp disk brake caliper paint and it didn't last, the factory applied paint is no better. I would bet powder coating would fair no better. Clean them up the best you can, shoot them with a quick coat of high temp caliper paint and slap them back on. Your already taking care of the important part by replacing the riser gaskets.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 1:08pm
Kapla,
When you do get the risers off the manifolds, take a close look at the mating surfaces. With leaking gaskets, you will get corrosion that may require resurfacing. If not severe, people have done it themselves with just abrasive paper on a flat surface. If real bad, a machine shop can take a cut on them.

Don't forget the "never seize" on the bolt threads for the next time!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic