NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1955 Atom Skier Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1955 Atom Skier Updates
    Posted: November-02-2008 at 12:10am
Here's some pictures of the Atom, Since thursday we've: brought the boat home, built the boat stand, removed the bottom on both sides of the keel, removed the keel, & as of an hour or so ago, removed the starboard side plywood...Making nice progress so far.

Also, Looks like the boat will be white, with a red bottom & as we found tonight, it looks like it has a blue bootstripe, so i think it'll stay that way...

1955 ATOM Pictures

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 12:32am

Nate,you must have done this before. I like your roll around dolly under the boat. It looks like you've got a good start on it. Keep the pictures coming. Farmer
Watch your fingers.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 1:30am
Wow, you guys that take on projects of that magnitude amaze me. But like Gary said, it looks like you know what you're doing. I guess when you can make that kind of progress in a few days, it doesnt get frustrating.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 8:51am
Nate,
Wow, the pictures are bringing back some memories!

Looks like your Atom was in the same condition as mine. All the bedding compound dried out so the boat literally was unscrewed. This picture shows the stern post with new wood as it had lots of rot and one side of the frame chine gussets removed. I wanted to replace the gussets as the originals were falling apart. Doing one side at a time kept the frame shape.

Any rot yet? Get waterline measurements now before you forget.

What are you going to do with the Hercules Chris A-B? Rebuild it yourself? If not, I've got the guy for you.

The picture is also after I got the oil out of the frames. You will need to too. I've never seen a wood boat at this stage that didn't!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 1:21pm
Nate very nice progress . L:ooks like you just jumped into it and took off ripping it apart .
Gives me some incentive to rip into my 59 .

Pete how do you get the oil out of the wood

our 59 atom
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2008 at 1:33pm

I was just going to ask the same thing.
Watch your fingers.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 2:26am
A little more progress tonight. Removed the Port Side plywood, so now there's no more plywood on the exterior of the boat. Also, we removed the stem, it was a little rotted, but we knew that going into it. Next step I believe is to find some mahogany & build a new stem before we start removing other pieces.

'55 Atom Pictures...More Added

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 9:10am
Getting the oil out of the wood was fairly easy. The new bottom project on my X was the first oil in frames problem I ran into. I was always amazed how Oil Dry would suck it out of a concrete floor so I decided to give it a try.

Grind down the Oil dry into a finer powder by ether using a mortar and pestle or when I got to the Atom project I just spread it on the floor and rolled over it with a steel lawn roller. Using some rather strong but not very fast evaporating solvent like Toulene, brush the areas first to start to soften up/liquefy the oil. Then using the solvent, mix in the ground Oil dry into a paste. This now is a "poultice". Brush some more straight solvent on the areas and then spread on the poultice. Let dry and brush off. You may have to do some real bad area a couple times.

Since oil soaked wood is such a common problem with wood boat restoration, I demonstrated the technique at one of our Blackhawk chapters tech seminars. Everyone that now uses the method reports excellent results.

Nate,
I lucked out on my stem. No rot but just like the rest of the boat, it fell apart. A simple jig on plywood and some epoxy and it was good again.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 8:39pm
Pete,the stern post is the vertical board shown in the transom? Did you have to replace any other pieces of the frame? I don't know why,but I'd rather look at the framework of a boat or airplane than the finished product. Is that strange or what? Farmer
Watch your fingers.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2008 at 9:01pm
Gary,
Yes the stern post in the vertical piece in the center of the transom frame and it was the only piece that had any rot. The frame gussets at the chine I mentioned, weren't rotten but the fir ply CC had used was delaminating. I had plenty of scrap ply available from the deck and transom.

Nate,
Any thoughts on the engine yet? Does it turn over?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 3:01am
Pete,
Haven't gotten into the engine as of yet, just been working on getting a new stem laminated up, along with the 2 horizontal supports for the transom, so we can then start taking each framing out one by one.

Atom Skier

I posted the pictures to a new album, b/c im getting tired of Facebook & when i Deactivate it shuts down the albums...

I'll have new pictures of the stem & stern pieces up soon.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 7:22am
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

so we can then start taking each framing out one by one.
Nate

Nate,
What are you doing with each frame?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 12:51pm
Just cleaning them up & replacing the old plywood 'knees' with new, epoxy coated ones. They're all in pretty good shape, so don't worry, we're not actually pulling each one apart or anything, just making it easier to clean/sand each one, instead of having to climb inbetween each one to get into tight spaces. But once we have the stem and the transom fixed, we shouldn't have to worry about the boat moving on us & coming out of shape.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 12:58pm
Oh, Pete, Also could you post or email me a closer up picture of your transom? I just noticed that while we're making the horizontal pieces for the stern, ours never had the outside Vertical ones. I just need to know if these need to be laminated & molded as well, or if they're just laminated, straight/flat pieces.

Thanks Pete,

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 1:19pm
Nate,
Just be careful removing frames. The center ones may have some inward force on them from the gunnel support. I really feel replacing one side of the gussets is the better way than removing the complete frame. After the gussets are replaced, you can remove the frame one by one to clean them up. Mine really didn't need anymore than a simple wire brushing. The bilge paint on them is a very thin coating.

The outside hull side transom frames aren't laminated. They are however 4/4 and then slightly beveled to handle the curvature of the transom. (the center stern post too) A belt sander will do it.

You didn't have the transom? If not, the ply on the transom is two layers of 1/4" to get the curvature.

Edit: I see in your pictures that the transom was missing. Did someone start to rebuild it and then gave up??

Edit again!!!: I looked at the pictures again. Looks like someone did start to "restore/rebuild" it! Glad you are now doing it the correct way.
I don't have a closer picture of the transom. Hope my description and the existing picture will do. If not, just keep asking and I'll fill you in the best I can.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 2:39pm
No, there was no transom. The guy we bought it from's brother started to 'restore' it & i believe quickly realized he was in too deep. (as is evident by the 'plaster of paris') that was on the stem & transom

on the transom, we're thinking about doing it in mahogany planking, like the deck will get, so we may do 1/4" ply, followed by planking, or just straight planking, I'm not sure as of yet.

It's getting exciting though, popping the stem & transom pieces off of the molds is always cool, especially when I started trimming the transom piece to size & i could look at it & the lamination was perfect it's a good feeling!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 8:45pm

on the transom, we're thinking about doing it in mahogany planking, like the deck will get, so we may do 1/4" ply, followed by planking, or just straight planking, I'm not sure as of yet.
Nate

Nate,
I saw this statement earlier and was really wondering if I should even comment. If Billy was in on this conversation, he's be saying something about sows ears and silk purses!! You are making a very big mistake that you will regret. The older the boat is the more important originality is. With a wood boat of any year originality is key to any value what so ever. If you want to go through the trouble, money and time to plank this Atom, it's your choice. Expect to keep it for along time unless you happen to find a unsuspecting and uninformed buyer. Don't expect it to come out so glamorous that it will win awards.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 9:57pm
Pete,

I'm not really concerned with winning awards because of originality. I bought this boat with; no windshield, no step pads or brackets, and basically no other hardware. The chances of me making this boat completely original on my budget, without spending out the nose are very slim. I'm going to do my best within my budget, and in respect to my tastes. If someone doesn't like that something's not perfectly original, they don't have to buy it.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 4:18am
Pete i have been following the thread and you know why. But seeing as to it is Nates baby I would not even comment as to the rhyme or reason behind his latest project.
No purses but chicken soup outa chicken sh it does come to mind tho....boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 7:28am
Nate,
Whatever way you decide to go with the boat, I'll of course be around if you have any questions. You mentioned your budget that I'd like to comment on. If you have some mahogany for the planking just laying around fine but if you are going out to buy it, it's not cheap these days! Also, it's highly unlikely you will find it sitting in a warehouse in the 3/8" (or 1/4") thickness. Unless you have resaw and planing equipment the machine work is a added expence. You mentioned putting the planking down over a 1/4" ply. Are you planing on a 5200 plank bedding method? It's going for about $13 a tube. If you put ply on the boat on a budget, you can use Luan underlayment!! You can't get any cheaper than that! Go down to your local home improvement and pick out 4 nice 4x8 sheets.

Don't forget silicon bronze screws. Don't use brass or worse yet stainless deck screws!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 6:09pm

Pete,

yes we do have quite a bit of mahogany lying around from other projects, as well as all the equipment necessary for resawing and planing everything, & i've got experience doing all of this. So, that's not a problem. The way I was looking at doing the transom like that is because the transom gets just varnished, not painted white like the rest of the boat, and i was planning on doing the deck in planking, because ive never really been a fan of varnished plywood (just my opinion) so i figured it'd be best if we matched it.

I understand your concerns about keeping it original, and i like like to keep it very close to that, though I like to 'improve' things as to my tastes. If i really wanted to be original, I wouldn't use epoxy & would just laminate the boards for the stem & transom with screws. I know that's taking it to the nth degree, but still I think you get my point.

I value your opinion, but I'm also entitled to my own as well, & since it's my project, where we disagree, ill take yours into consideration, but I'll continue moreso with my plans. It sounds jerk-ish, but it's the truth.

Boat Dr.,

Thank you So much for your opinion on my projects, because you know so in depth and have seen in detail any of my previous projects. Please sir, where you do not know, keep your mouth shut.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 6:21pm
Go for it Nate...who's ever gonna know how deep the 'ply' is?

I've seen a liitle of your work and am not concerned!   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 7:00pm
Nate, I think Wakeslayer has an extra windsheild off a Ski Nautique . You can cobble that on to finish off your resto.
As far as me keepin it shut, ain't gonna happen.I am a beleiver it keepin' it as it was, and if not , don't do it.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 7:08pm
Not to hijack this thread, but Billy and Pete, you guys never commented on my alternative flotation for my Mustang. I've got all my old scuba gear from 30+ years ago. I'm going to install the tank up in the bow and hitch a rope to the j valve and run it through the dash to a factory looking knob. I'm then going to hook up my old regulator and cut the mouth piece off and run the hose into an old lift bag. In the event that I take on water and start to sink, I'll pull the knob and the tank will release 300lbs of air and fill the lift bag keeping me afloat. What do you think?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Nate.... You can cobble that on to finish off your resto.

Nothing is being cobbled together for this resto. So don't worry about that. & besides i looked through the reference section & i believe I saw that an option on these boats would be to have 'double planked mahogany throughout' & while I wont be double planking throughout... mahogany on the Atom isn't exactly cobbling it together.

Besides, EVERYONE who restores a boat and does it well, makes it BETTER THAN FACTORY condition... doesn't that make it unoriginal? doesn't using new sprayer technology to spray paint or gel make it unoriginal? should i just screw together all my laminations instead of using this new fangled 'epoxy' stuff? These boats were fairly poorly constructed when they came from the factory, a little extra here & there wouldn't hurt it.

So thanks again for your so eloquently written input, it will be filed appropriately.

Buffalo.. Thanks
Riley... haha that's awesome, you should absolutely use your scuba gear for flotation... but make sure your scuba gear is the same year as the boat.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 7:33pm
Bruce,
Don't you know how to swim? What if you are incapacitated and can't make it to the knob on the dash?

Nate,
Sounds like you are a woodworker and are well equipped but from your statement about using epoxy, it sounds like you are going to hard glue the planking. You may want to reconsider this and do some research. Get Danenbergs book so you know some tried and true methods of boat construction before you get in trouble. You could even plank the whole boat while your at it. Since you have the resaw capacity, you might as well book match.

Tell me more about the other projects Greg mentioned. Any of them wood boats?

BTW, The use of epoxy is acceptable in the ACBS rules.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 2:12am
no, we're not planning on epoxying the planking. I was pointing out the use of epoxy as a whole for everything else around the boat, seeing as how it's not how the boat was ORIGINALLY constructed

Well I built my wooden Kayak completely from scratch a couple years ago. But maybe that's not considered a 'real boat' by some people, but I take a great deal of pride in it. & my father has restored & rebuilt quite a few wooden boats, one was a '39 Chris 15 1/2ft Deluxe Runabout, a Garwood, and a couple other Chris' that i dont remember offhand. So what I don't know, he's got a pretty firm grasp on.

I love how this place is so great & welcoming, until one decide to make their own decisions & not go along with groupthink heaven forbid I should do my boat how I see it fit...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 7:41am
Nate,
I'm very glad to hear that you have the expertise and experience of your father. Listen to him and learn. I don't see him listed in the ACBS directory. Sounds like he certainly should be a member! Also glad to hear that you aren't planning on hard epoxy glueing the planking. I've seen some disasters!!

Your reference to double planking "throughout" is on other models. The "Super" Atom did have the planking but it was bottom only. It was a regular ply Atom with the planking added. The thought there was with the higher HP engines, it would hold the boat together better!!

Yes, people do over restore boats but that is usually with the "fit and finish". Don't confuse it with modern materials such as 5200 and epoxy used to put them back together - as mentioned, they are well accepted. Regarding the use of the spray equipment to apply finishes, it began in the early 20's with the larger boat builders. Chris was even heating their spar varnish to reduce it's viscosity!!

Does your dad have any pictures of his boats? I'd love to see them. Your kayak too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 9:11am

Pete,
The way I was looking at doing the transom like that is because the transom gets just varnished, not painted white like the rest of the boat, and i was planning on doing the deck in planking, because ive never really been a fan of varnished plywood (just my opinion) so i figured it'd be best if we matched it.
Nate

Nate,
Since you didn't get a transom with the Atom, and the old brochures really don't show a decent rear picture, you may or may not know that the transoms were varnished.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 10:22am

I love how this place is so great & welcoming, until one decide to make their own decisions & not go along with groupthink heaven forbid I should do my boat how I see it fit...

Nate, I hope you didnt post your update/plans and expect to NOT get a reaction! Isnt that what this place is for?

Lord knows I havent stayed 100% original on my projects- but an Atom is a bit rarer and quite a bit older than what Ive got. Having seen Pete's in person, it sure would be cool to know theres more than one expertly restored original example out there. With your skills, Im sure you could pull it off. It seems like most wooden CC restorations out there have deviated quite a bit- having an original boat would be rarer and cooler, IMHO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic