Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The legendary Dunphy X-55 !

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The legendary Dunphy X-55 !
    Posted: November-05-2008 at 3:13pm
Popped a couple short video clips of a Dunphy X-55 on to You Tube. This is a boat "like" the boat I'm SLOWLY working on and also like the one Pete (here on the site) has.
I added them to YouTube here this AM with the owners permission.
I know they've been discussed here before a little and were of some interest.
I popped into the titles the wording "THE FASTEST STOCK INBOARD IN THE WORLD" as a sort of attention grabber, but that was literally in some of the Dunphy Boat company's printed information back when they were built because they were definitely built to fly. The X-55 model name, as near as I can gather from researching them, was a loose claim that the boats would run in that ballpark of the mid fifties; mighty fast for a 17'2" direct drive inboard of the mid 1960's. And it's still mighty fast today! I know this has all been discussed here before about these little wooden rockets of the past, but I figured everyone here would enjoy the video links and restating it would serve to update anyone who hasn't been "on board" here for a while.
The only down side is that, you can tell in both videos, that the driver (the owner's wife) backs off the throttle a good bit once on plane so you won't here the old 312 Ford Interceptor (that they pretty much all had originally) wind up to Wide Open Throttle, but still fun clips to watch!   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QalrPT0h9-k
and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqHjofm_a84

Enjoy!

Inboards Rule!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2008 at 7:12pm
Excellent clips Craig. I love the fact that as soon as she's on plan all of the boat forward of the engine is out of the water, so I'm sure the boat is fast.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 8:28am
There may be a non CC in GL next summer!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 9:25am
Pete

That would be some ride across a rough Green Lake!
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Brady Brady wrote:

Pete

That would be some ride across a rough Green Lake!

I'm planing on use the "Reid P method" - Go fast enough and you ride the tops of all those rollers!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2008 at 11:32am
Here are a couple fairly recent shots of my "old tub" to get an idea of where I'm at. A long way to go and it hasn't changed much for 2 years now (I'm starting to worry!).

I just keep watching those video clips every once in a while to keep me motivated!

Inboards Rule!
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 5:28pm
Found this on the web.........very cool!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31246
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2008 at 5:35pm
I want this one.......way too cool.

http://www.antiqueboat.com/boats/MoreInfo.asp?SKU=grif17
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 7:20pm
Pete B's X-55 looks as good as any of those!

Or does it right now Pete? You did tell me recently you've got the bottom paint off, didn't you??? I forgot!
Inboards Rule!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:49pm
hey didnt my new windshield used to be on that?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 7:55am
Doug,
The first picture with the guy sitting on the seat back is original except for the aqua bottom paint. Craig, what's his name?

The second listed for sale has been for sale a couple of years. It's a tough sale because the guy put the mahogony deck on it. It's not original and will have to go to a unsuspecting buyer. It always amazes me why people try to make a boat into something it never was. This boat would not classify to be judged in a ACBS show!

Craig,
I'm still struggling with the bottom paint!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2008 at 9:20am
Phatsat67 -- Yep! That's the boat! The windshield thats on it in those two pics above was from another X-55 I found in Texas. So I shipped my Nautique windshield to you in (Indiana, right?) FROM Maryland, and the one I got came from Texas TO Maryland! I kept a few pics you sent me of "my old" glass on your boat. It looked "just right!" How's the boat running?

Pete -- I'm forgetting his name right at the moment too, but that aqua blue bottom is the other Miss X-55 I think (as opposed to the red Miss X-55 owned by Don Spring)...
...Ah! typing the name "Don" there just refreshed my memory (I think); I'm pretty sure that guy's name is Don Baker. Never thought of it before; both Miss X-55's are owned by guys named Don.
What's the chance of posting a couple of pics when your finished Pete?
Inboards Rule!
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 10:42am
Phatsat67 -- Came across a picture of my boat when I first got it.

There's your windshield! See the stickers?

The last picture you sent me of your Nautique, the stickers were still there!
Inboards Rule!
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:11am
Wow! And check out my trailer (see pics). That picture (above) was probably over 2 years ago and my trailer was kind of rough and rusty.
Just when I was thinking I haven't done much, I kind of forgot about all the trailer fix up (paint, new tires, new bearings, lights, wires). I feel better now!
The one wheel picture is a "before and after." I painted the peeled chrome rims white. Came out pretty good!

Inboards Rule!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 12:01pm
Craig, thanks for posting those videos. I currently have no plans for a wood boat, as I can barely keep up with the maintenance my glass ones... but if I ever get the itch, that X55 sure is a cool boat. How many did they make?

You must already know that your trailer is a Correct Craft, right? Looks like it originally went under a 2001.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2008 at 3:22pm
Thanks TRBenji!

Pete, on the web site here (who also has one) had heard, over the years, that there were as few as 50 or so I think.

I had been doing some investigating on that using the serial numbers, but so far, the jury's still out (mostly because I've gotten lazy about following up on some leads that might have shed more light on the possible production numbers).

Yeah, the Correct Craft logo and all was still on there (the trailer). I've got the bow stop thing and the keel/prop gurad off of it right now.
Hopefully I'll get the X-55 together and going some time in the near future. It's not looking good right now!

I've thought about that a lot -- I always loved the X-55's but the maintenance and llthe work i've got ahead has really made me think from time to time "why didn't I just get an old Nautique, or Tique, or Mustang, or Martinuque, or...

Inboards Rule!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic