NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

strut aligment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strut aligment
    Posted: December-05-2008 at 3:40pm
I think I'm able to set my engine to shaft aligment, as for all the info gathered in this site has been of lot of help. But I have some doubts of the procedures on how to set the strut to shaft aligment as i see on all post this is were the complete drive line aligment should start. Is there a tutorial similar to eric's but focus on the strut? i mena with steps and photos? If so please let me know.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2008 at 10:04pm
here is how its stand today....

prop is the new acme 1442 that i installed 10 days ago

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 12:14am
Kapla - What's with the extra nut under the prop? Your shaft is too long? We need Pete to figure this one out!

As far as the strut alignment, I just unhooked the shaft from the transmission & then used 'feel' to judge the circle of play in the shaft (at the transmission end). You want the center of this play to approximately be in the center of the 'log'. I just looked at the left, right, up down positions of the loose shaft (as compared to the log) & tried to make them all even by changing the strut mounting.

This is really hard to explain, hope I am getting this across to you.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 2:17am
Looks to me that we have a prop that was meant to go on a 1-1/8" on a 1" shaft. Although it is "incorrect" I think all marine tapers are 3/8" per foot ,so some of the taper fit is proper. Although the key is short,you should be OK with the proviso that you don't hit anything. If you do you are potentially looking at a new prop and a new shaft! I'd take a look at it! I never planned on hitting anything ...but it happens!
+
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 9:44am
Kapla,
Chris (SNobsessed) Is right on with the verbal description of the checking strut alignment. Get the coupling disconnected for your engine/shaft alignment, give the shaft a twist while holding the front end up to the center of the log and report back to us about how it "feels".

Regarding the extra nut, First I'd like to say get the extra stainless nut off as soon as possible. Stainless to stainless threads have the tendency of galling (locking up). The longer it's on there the higher the chances of it happening. I've been there!! You don't want to have to replace a shaft if not needed!

The shaft and prop tapers are just out to the min. and max. tolerance allowing the prop to seat farther forward. If the bore was a 1&1/8, the prop would be half way up the taper and hitting the strut. The 1442 is a 1" bore.

Get some brass flat washers or a brass nut on the shaft to take up the extra room. I have had to re drill hole for the cotter pin too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 10:58am
Pete Chris as for the shaft it was custom made here in argentina its dual taper and its 1" as the orinal. It was probably made too long and thats wy the mechanic had to add the extra nut. By that time say 4 year ago i didn't service the boat myself. I started with this task 1 year ago and i been solving every issue. But great improvement in my mechanics skill were in part for the recomendation on this site. I will take your comments on the ss extra nut. As for the aligment it was done 1 month ago by a new mechanic as i don't have the time to do it myself but wanted to check if it was done correctly.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 11:32am
Chris how do you change the strut mounting? by loosing and moving it back and forward to align it with the shaft? or you need to shim it if required?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 11:36am
over the years, Ive learned one thing when someone says my mechanic checked the alignment. Well...if the reply was...it was good, it was fine, perfect, this means it wasnt checked. from experience when some asks me how thier alignment was the logical answer would be, it was within .003
think about it, then go re-check it yourself
"the things you own will start to own you"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 11:41am
Kapla - The strut has to be pulled completely off (because it is sealed on) cleaned up, then you can move it around within the hole clearances (I had to enlarge 1 hole) or in order to tip it you can add shims under the front or back, whichever is needed. It is best to get this all figured out as a dry fit, then take it back apart & use the 3M 5200 sealant to remount it.

If it is close to centered at all, I would just leave it alone. This is a PITA to do. The critical alignment is shaft to transmission, which sounds like you have a good handle on.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 11:52am
eric yes totally with you thats why i been following all the aligment post in order to be very confident and sure of how to tackle the task. So I will check if aligment was done correctly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic