Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need your advice

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Double Up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need your advice
    Posted: December-10-2008 at 11:54pm
I have a 1990 sport, And I am doing a full restoration. I want to paint the boat, but I cannot decide what colors to paint it. I would like a green and black theme to it. I have a black tower. I would like the bottom of the hull black and from the rub rail up white. What should I do for the side? All Green or what. I would like for it to be unique looking but not ugly. Thanks
1990 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 1:25am
This is just a suggestion. Even though you can only do if for a 2009 boat, go to the CC site and the build a boat section. Start with a 196, probably closest to your hull and mess with various color combinations till you hit one you like....Like I said, just a thought.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 8:03am
Larry has a great idea so you can visually see the different color combinations.

If you do paint the hull with a non original color and color scheme then you will need to refrain from using the term "restoration".

From the dictionary: "the process of bringing an object back to its original state"

Have you considered re gelcoating instead of paint?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 10:05am
rebuild: clean and paint
"the things you own will start to own you"
Double Up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 12:09pm
ok thanks guys
1990 Sport Nautique
bradtm16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradtm16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 12:28pm
I recently completely restored my boat also. You can check out picks in my profile. What i did to visualize was take a side shot picture of the boat and went into the paint program on my computer and edited it to the colors I wanted. If you do a search online I had seen someone that had painted there old nautique lime green and white.
bradtm16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradtm16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2008 at 12:41pm

pwningjr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwningjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 12:55am
^^That second gel (paint?) pattern would look pretty cool if they didn't put the AIR logo on it... IMO just doesn't fit the boat at all. The only thing worse than that is whoever put the AIR logo on a Mustang... What was going through their head?
Jay
"Proud to be a geek"
Big Heavy (stephan): One can't always be perfect when water dancing on your shred stick.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 7:48am
Brad,
You should be, and hopefully are, very proud of the work you've done. Although not my "taste", it looks like you are very talented.

BTW, you too don't understand the proper use of the word "restoration" ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 11:04am
Originally posted by pwningjr pwningjr wrote:

What was going through their head?

AIR . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bradtm16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradtm16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2008 at 1:57pm
Thanks Pete, yeah I guess what I meant was completely repainted my boat. I know alot of guys on here probably detest what I did to my boat. Like Pete said, it's a different "taste." Regardless, you can't deny the hard work involved. I just wanted a wakeboarding boat, because that's all I do, but did not want to pay 40-50K for a new one. I enjoy customizing and working on my boat. I have seen many beautiful originally restored boats on here.

The fact is I have respect for anybody that has a Ski Boat, preferably Nautique, and has maintained it themselves.
78nautique78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2008 at 11:59am
Maybe "RESTOMOD" would be a better word. That"s kinda what i've got going on with my 78. A little different interior color scheme. Updated guages, new style marine carpet, And a Killer sound system etc.etc. That to me is a "RESTOMOD"
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2008 at 3:18pm

I have always mused about the term "restore".

Years ago I came across a fellow who "restored" a 1930's wooden Limousine which was retrieved from the bottom of a lake. It was one of 5 made and had historic value. His starting point was 7 ribs that spanned the beam of the boat and various drive train parts. Since it was rotten, submerged wood and pitted metal - those pieces were used as the templates for new ones. He then built the rest of it from photos and old company archives. Very interesting and very life-consuming and I think it is great someone could invest so much in a "restore". But I always felt that he built a new boat.... patterned after the old.

Everyone does that in their own way.... "restore" is a spectrum. The wood that goes into the floor rebuilds have newer and better fungicides added than "original", the resins and marine plywood is not the same. Anyone use 1970 resins on their boat?.... not likely because newer stuff is often better and, more importantly, available.

The difference is part availability, personal taste and use. From ignition and exhaust mods, to re-gelcoating and even upholstery and carpet changes. The new is what is here ... the old is past. "Simulating the past" is what we are doing - I am really very fine with that. Folks do the simulation in different ways ........... some obvious and some not. Some "tasteful" to me, some not. The important thing is the love for the Correct Craft lifestyle and appreciation of the product progression through time.

Sorry 'bout the length but it has been something I've been wrestling with recently while looking at various CC's to buy, love and "restore".
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2008 at 10:17am
its a value thing with me and all bring up good points, im one to update and make it more reliable, In Alan's case if he blings up that boat we will send the gooch to see him, but we know he wont,
I always use examples to compare, such as a 1970 Vega you could update it paint it pink and it still would get the same money as a completly restored back to original money.
now a 69 hemi charger would be opposite, you wouldnt dare to bling it, you would be certain to make sure every bolt and every decal would be what it should be.
you build these boats on how you want them and if they have historical value you build them to maintain the historical value.
some guy's say dont put towers on the boat, but i think it follows progress and makes the boat more practical, would i put on on an old woody...no.
would i put one on a "Vega" probably, because if my intentions were to buy a boat to ski with instead of "Im buying a Correct Craft" there is no reason not to update the boat to your likings
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2008 at 10:57am
It's totally possible and acceptable to use modern materials such as epoxys or polyurethane adhesive/sealants to restore. The outcome however must look the same.

Steve,
It's interesting that you brought up the use of a "pattern" boat to build a "new" boat. Alan (81) made it to a openhouse this past Saturday that the Blackhawk chapter had. We saw a 27 Chris triple being rebuilt and that subject was discussed. The restorer did start with a "gray" and ended up with only the main stringers as original wood. With many boats being "restored" in this way (grays are about the only ones still around) it's become a major issue with the ACBS. At what point do you call it new or is it a restoration? New wood is common and even considered a maintenance item with wood boats but how much is the question!!! With this example, the current ACBS rules class it as a restoration because of the original stringers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2008 at 9:54pm
Reminds me of the story of old GrandDads axe The handle has been changed twice and the head once but it's his original axe
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic