Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Wheel Play

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wheel Play
    Posted: January-05-2009 at 4:08pm
I have about 2 inches of play in the steering box on my 92ski. Is this normal or should I be looking for another steering box and cable?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 4:12pm
cable
Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 10:21pm
Does the end of the cable that rides inside the steering box wear out? I have checked the connections at the rudder arm and it doesn't have any play at all.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 10:43pm
Mine had quite a bit of play in the joint between the steering wheel shaft & the Helm - it was a square socket.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 10:49pm
I will check the wheel and helm. The last time I took the helm apart was in 1994 ti relube and inspect the cable.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 2:01am
1994?   Cable.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 11:11am
The boat is a 92, I guess I got my moneys worth from this cable. I was just curious if the gear/sprocket that drives the cables at the helm usually wears out and this is what is causing all the play?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 11:44am
if you wore that out, you better start looking for a new boat, lol, I havent ever seen one wear out, anyone else? you would be surprised on how a new cable acts
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 12:42pm
basicly the cable has a spirial wound wire on the out side that acts liek a gear and it moves and streaches and causes the play or you get a weak spot in the middle that does the same, power turns can cause this on a old cable pretty easy.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Pgaboeing Pgaboeing wrote:

I was just curious if the gear/sprocket that drives the cables at the helm usually wears out and this is what is causing all the play?

If the new cable doesn't remove most of the backlash, it may be worth opening up the helm. I don't feel you will find much wear on the cable gear or even the wheel shaft pinion gear but both sets of shaft bushings may be worn. My 77 has worn bushings and it does create quite alot of slop. I was going to work on mine between Christmas and New Years but it was just too cold in the boat house for me to get motivated!! I originally planed on just re-bushing it but the good Boat Doctor had a spare old helm that he sent me. I'll need to wait till spring!! Your helm is still being made so parts should be available.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Pgaboeing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaboeing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 1:38pm
Thanks, A simple re-carpetting turned into a total reto with new stringers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 2:27pm
My simple steering cable and rudder packing replacement had the same exact effect.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 6:52pm
Paul,
I replaced the steering cable in my 93 Sport this past spring. The steering had been very sfiff and required much effort.
It made a huge difference. Steers like a new boat.
Change the cable first. See what happens.
Probably will solve your problem. If not, then look into the helm. A boat of your age needs a new cable.
Jimsport93
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 1:32pm
FYI, theres a 91-92 steering cable on ebay- price looks pretty good.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 2:36pm
Will a bad steering cable really cause play in the steering? Always thought the only issue a bad steering cable would create is stiff or hard steering.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Will a bad steering cable really cause play in the steering? Always thought the only issue a bad steering cable would create is stiff or hard steering.

yes it will. mine was pretty stiff and I didn't realize it at the time, could let go of the wheel and it wouldn't move, this was the first summer I owned the boat, but a couple power turns later I could feel some play then a couple more power turns and it snapped, that was a fun ride back to the dock.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 1:55am
I have had to paddle back to the dock with a kneeboard. Fun picture...
Mike N

1968 Mustang

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2009 at 12:18pm
Had a go myself....as a student on an off day with no class. The lake was dead quiet, thus not a tow in sight. Used two wakeboards to paddle home.....i tend to stick to the lake on weekends now.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic