NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning Chrome

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning Chrome
    Posted: May-23-2005 at 12:32am
Our '68 Natique apparently has all the original chrome, some of it however has "pitting" or slightly raised pin point bumps. What can best be used to clean these pieces?
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 1:17pm
Nothing will satisfactorily get rid of the pits or bumps that I have ever seen or discovered. The problem is that the metal under the chrome has started to oxidize. The only real solution is to take the pieces and have them replated.

Neverdull is an excellent cleaner/polish for metals in otherwise good condition.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 4:52pm
Steel wool and WD-40 works well for putting a good shine on old slightly-pitted chrome (do not use SOS pads or any abrasive cleanser).
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2005 at 8:52am
I have seen never-dull get rid of pits
backcrkr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backcrkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2005 at 2:20pm
use steel wool it took my rims from solid rust to clean chrome. somthing fine like number 00 steel wool might work.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 2:28am
I found something on the internet that works great.
Use vinegar and aluminum foil.
The aluminum is softer than the chrome so it does not scratch the chrome and the vinegar cuts thru the grime built up on the chrome.
Tear off enough foil to wrap around your finger and pour some vinegar in a dish for dipping and then rub away.
I did my hinges on my 83 and they look pretty good.
Next, i will do a little buffing.
83Ski
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 11:26am
Chuck,
David is correct that the chrome is gone and the base metal is rusting. Anything short of re plating or painting will be temporary. I certainly wouldn't use vinegar - I've been in too many pickle plants to know what it does to steel. (even 304 stainless!) Hopefully the internet idea includes a baking soda rinse!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 11:31am
Where's a good place to go for rechroming, the local HD dealer?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Bruce,
A new set of wheels will be cheaper than a re chrome! A custom chrome shop will want to do nothing short of a best quality job which will be: strip to bare, rough buff, copper plate, buff again, check for pits which may need more copper and buffing to cover, nickel plate, buff and then chrome. Of course, the new set of wheels will have the same cheap one coat of chrome on it like the original set! Take a look in the phone book or do a search for chrome platers to find someone close to you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 12:06pm
and question them thouroughly, it aint cheap and i understand why, with chroming you pay for what you get
"the things you own will start to own you"
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 12:18pm
I only did the hinges. (motor box and seats) I believe they are brass with chrome plating.
What I suggested was only for a good cleaning. I agree it will not work if pitted.
I will try the baking soda rinse.
83Ski
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 12:26pm
The PO of the Classic had most of the hardware rechromed. It's beautiful. It doesn't look like Correct Craft hardware, it looks like old Chris craft hardware. The problem is, I need apair of front chocks, and even if I found NOS chocks they wouldn't match. My steps plates weren't done, so I'm considering having them and the chocks, (when I get them), replated.

My Mustang has some of the most pitted hardware I've ever seen. Unless I find some better used stuff, I'm going to leave it.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Bruce, I used these guys for some parts on my 81 Supefineshine, excelent work but make sure you're sitting down when they give you the cost.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2009 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chuck,
David is correct that the chrome is gone and the base metal is rusting. Anything short of re plating or painting will be temporary.

This is 100% true. I do not doubt that there are some concocsions or products that will make the wheels look better and make it seems as if the pits are removed, but the chrome is gone, and the pits will come back shortly.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic