NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alignment...but now Thud, Thud

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
CCFcourt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2008 at 11:23pm
After messing around with a few different methods, including a weak attempt at using some wire and wood chisel, I ended up going pretty basic. I used a knife to cut out as much of the adhesive as I could all around the base plate and then used a flathead screwdriver (very tip already broken off so slightly stronger) and continued to work around the edges until it started to come loose. The risk with this method of course is chipping the fiberglass of the hull but I went slowly and eventually it came off. Don't think this is a best practice of any sort but I'm hoping I don't have to do this so many times that I develop one soon!

I'll look into repair/replacement and see what I can find...
Ski Nautique 94
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2008 at 12:15am
[QUOTE=CCFcourt] Don't think this is a best practice of any sort

QUOTE]

May not be best practice but it is a common one. That is the same method I used.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2008 at 12:30am
I just went threw the same thing. Luckily mine came relative easy. I used a screw driver and from the inside of the boat i catch the edge and tap it until it came out. My strut was in pretty bad shape. Somebody suggested Murphy's Propeller and I was extremely pleased with their job. They charged me $65 to get it straight. Also, I had them replace the strut bearing since I stripped the set screw. If you can't find anybody locally called them. They were really nice and the turn around was about a week. The communication with them was great.
78SkiTique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 1:33pm
Court: I went through the same thing. Found my strut was bent. I got mine off with a little heat from a torch. I had it straightened and prop and shaft tuned, and got it back togeteher with perfect allignment thanks to the guys on this site. I'll try to insert the thread so you can follow it. "New owner problem"

Skip
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 1:39pm
Court: This was my post. Try this not sure if it will work.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10322&KW=new+owner+problem
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SkiTique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2008 at 2:08pm
Here you go

New owner problem

CCFcourt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 6:09pm
So I sent the strut to Murphys Propeller in VA since the rebuild was going to be 40% the cost of a new one (incl shipping). I got the strut back. They told me they straightened it so - despite it still visually looking a little tilted to this untrained eye - I put it back on the shaft to see where I'm at. It was much harder to get back on the shaft even after putting some water in it than it was to get it off because of the new bushing inside. When I dry fitted it and tightened it up, the shaft is extremely difficult to turn. When I loosen the back bolts of the strut it becomes a little easier to turn.

I expect the response to be, did you check the shaft. I tried to get it free from the coupling but it wasn't budging so I haven't checked the shaft yet.

Questions:
1. Is it normal to have a new bushing make the shaft very difficult to turn, especially when in a driveway and not in water? Is there any adjustment to set screws that needs to be done?

2. If checking the shaft really is required (duh, how can you be sure otherwise, right?) then what's the best way to get the coupling free? I had bought a cheap bolt puller set and tried to get it off that way, but had to cut the bolt in half to make it fit in the space and now have a sharp pointed area of the primary bolt taking all the pressure instead of a large smooth area. Maybe there is a better, less destructive way...

3. Am I on the right track or is it time to haul to a mechanic for an alignment? Not quitting yet, but wondering if I'm getting beyond my pay grade since it's also possible that the hull isn't formed right anymore due to previous repair (can't tell for sure, but looking at strut area inside boat it isn't level and spacers of uneven sizes had been used for the strut bolts).
Ski Nautique 94
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 7:23pm
I am guessing your alignment is way off.
To get the coupling off you can try the socket trick. First, make sure your set bolt is loosened. Move the coupling back from the trans far enough to get a 5/8 or so shallow socket between the trans coupler and shaft coupler. You take four 5" to 6" pieces of 3/8" coarse threaded rod with doubled nuts and washers on one end into each of the shaft coupling bolt holes. These thread into the trans coupler. Start turning them down a turn at a time on each to keep an even pull. This will start to pull the coupler off against the socket you have in there. As you get it further off, you need to switch to longer sockets to pull it further off. This is because the shaft is getting pushed further down out of the coupler.
It is tedious, but it will come off.
I did this part of the way but ended up just using a pulley puller after I got my motor out which was a lot faster and easier. Same difference though.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 8:10pm
CCF - I think you will need to rough align your strut to your log & transmission.   You don't need to pull your coupling to do that. You will have to disconnect it from the tranny, though.

Here is a thread explaining this concept:

Strut Alignmnet

You may have to enlarge the mounting hole in your hull or add washers (stainless of course) to one end of the strut base to get it to be centered in your log & get close to your tranny's coupling.

Did you try the shaft fit before you mounted the strut? If the shaft doesn't spin freely up when the strut is loose, then there is something wrong with the bushings.

Ben Franklin
CCFcourt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2009 at 8:38pm
ah... that last part is critical. The strut (when loose, not bolted) is very snug as was tough to work onto the shaft. Do I need to call back to Murphy's and see if something went wrong?...that is, can it be a wrong size bushing in the strut?
Ski Nautique 94
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 11:01am
I would think a incorrectly sized bushing would be unusual.   I replaced the bushings last year (SKIDIM's) & they had a couple thou clearance to the shaft.   A higher probability is that somehow they distorted the bore, either through heat or pressure.

Maybe someone else will have more experience on this symptom & can give you an exact remedy.

I'd say that the strut or shaft or both have to come off but you could work on your alignment first; then you will know where you are at before reassembly.

Ben Franklin
CCFcourt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFcourt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 12:33am
I think I understand the issue better now... of course having the ability to do something about it is another story.

The engine has sunk into the stringer slightly (maybe as much as 1/4"). This has lowered the entire engine, especially in the front. This makes is so that a perfect alignment on the transmission to prop shaft puts the shaft just grazing the bottom of the log where the shaft goes through the hull. I raised the entire engine, especially the front mounts to get it as aligned and centered as I can, but I'm
at the top of the front motor mount and have no ability to raise it any farther (at top of metal post).

The two concerns of course are rotting/sinking more through the stringer, eventually causing complete misalignment and also wearing through the hull log, and the potential to rot through the stringer to the point that the engine collapses on the hull and sinks the boat I suppose.

An idea proposed by a friend was to lift the engine and replace the 3 foot section of stringer underneath the engine and reattach the mounts such that the engine sits perfectly again.
1) Is this a remotely acceptable method?
2) I don't know where to go to lift an engine, is there a hobbyist way of doing this cheaply?
3) Am I worrying about nothing - could I just run the boat in its current state with the shaft just lightly hitting the bottom of the log?
Ski Nautique 94
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 9:05am
CCFcourt - It sounds like your stringers are shot. You can verify this in several ways, torque test of engine lag screws into stringers, or drill core holes near the hull.

I don't think anyone on this site will encourage you to replace only the stringer near the engine (this is called 'sistering'). That will not very strong & will do nothing about the remaining 80% of your stringers which are also rotting.

As much as you don't want to, it's best to fix it correctly now. Waiting will just degrade your classic Correct Craft rapidly (cracking the gel coat on the sides, wearing out your transmission) making it even more expensive in the long run.

There is much information covering stringers on this site, get a cup of coffee & start the search engine up!

PS - You can rent an engine hoist at any rental store, maybe even auto part stores.

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2009 at 11:15am
Court, I hate to say it but it's time for stringers - complete. Everything Chris has stated above is true. If you run the boat as is, you will only encure more damage and more $$$$.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic