NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water behind a stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 16>
Author
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2009 at 12:28pm
It is interesting how many people are surprised about the exhaust. I thought nothing of the fact that it is outside the stringers. At the time, I just thought that was they way they all were.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2009 at 12:34pm
It is the way all the old Correct Crafts are, accept for the straight 6's, isn't it?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2009 at 1:23pm
funny, somehow someway my wife always seems to know exactly how many beers I drink,she is the official beer meter
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 1:54pm
I finished the boat yesterday !!!!

I had just a couple little wiring things I wanted to get done before I said it was so.

Done. Finito. Whew !! Did I mention I am done. Nearly four months to the day since i started.

I need to put out a huge thank you to everyone who helped me, educated me, encouraged me, and most of all, counseled me that this was not completely insane to do!!

Many many sincere thanks go to:

Firstly, my wife and kids,they all helped. Barbara painted the dash, my son helped me with a variety of tasks. Especially at the end. Everyone helped with the windshield. And most of all for not squawking too much that I was in my shop for hundreds of hours this winter. I am back now.

My brother, Joe, who got me to start this. He was instrumental in me overcoming my fear of just digging in my heels. He helped me immensely with the removal and re-installation of the motor. He did little side projects that I was not able to get to to save me time. He also helped a ton with diagramming the wiring and repairing a lot of what was there. I could not have done this without you. Thanks dude.

Boat Dr. Dude, You talked me off the ledge a number of times. Helped me realize that this is not rocket science, it is just a cool old boat that needs some love. I could not have accomplished this without your help. The countless hours you spent helping walk me through this process are greatly appreciated. I could not have done this without your guidance and grounding.
The Doc also helped us out with a couple crucial pieces of the boat. Name for the horse, steering wheel, shifter, sight glass. Thank you Billy!!! You are the man.

Karen (Boat Nurse) for putting up with my ceaseless calls morning and night to the Doc. And for ridiculing my carb spring so I got a nice pretty shiny one. Thank you Karen.

Billy and Karen have become good friends and convinced me to come to Orlando for the River Run. That was a fantastic experience to finally meet them, and all the other members that showed up. What a great group of people we have here.

All the other members here who offered advice, help, and moral support: Pete, Tim, Greg, Eric, Joe F., Jbear, Bruce,   all of you!!

Also, Doug at West Marine in Minnetonka, Bruce Foutz at MWCC, Vince at SkiDim.

My neighbor Dave, who helped with a few of the bigger projects like putting in the floor, carpet, and such. And helping me achieve the 450 beer target / goal (?) He is a good teammate there.

a few shots of the finale.

First: really lastly. I put up the new pennant. I had to buy another boat (2010 project!) to get flagpole last fall. I have been patiently waiting a year to get the flag from AA marine.

The cockpit with the seats put in, stereo, new gauges, new steering wheel, etc. The wheel does sit straight, it is just turned at the moment.

Stereo and battery box fit between the seats:

Lastly,my wife, Barbara (Mrs. Wakeslayer), in her newly finished Ponyboat.
I did this almost entirely, and completely for her

Of course, I still have a couple little things to fiddle with this Spring. A little more wiring, switch the bow light, etc.
And the windshield has got to go once I find a correct one. I will get to the exterior at some point. Maybe next fall. But for the time being, I am done. And ready to cruise her down the lake if it ever thaws.

Thank you,

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 2:02pm
Looks great! Boat Dr's got the windshield you need.

I'm going to have to get one of those flags.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 2:08pm
AWESOME piece of work Mike!!

She looks magnificent! (Goes for the boat as well as the wife )
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 2:20pm
Great job there Mike. Hope to see it in GL or LG later this year.
Your hard work and attention to detail really show through...
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 2:35pm
Fantastic Mike! You have lots of enjoyable moments to come.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JDiggs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 3:41pm
Looks great man. Congrats
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Does Boat Dr. have the curved windshields for sale?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

I do not believe that is the case. However, if he does: DIBS !
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Brand new WITH wing windows!!! This may have to go to a sealed bidding process!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

Brand new WITH wing windows!!! This may have to go to a sealed bidding process!!

Happy bidding.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12958&PN=1

I saw a post on Fiberglassics the other day where a guy said he came into 150 brand new windshields in the boxes that were for Custom Crafts. He's only looking to get $150. This might be worth checking out as some of them maybe the same one's Correct Craft use.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 8:25pm
Mike - Job well done! I am looking forward to seeing it this summer at GL.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2009 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

I am not sure of the reason why but...all of guys on here are very lucky...these boats seem to attract smokin' hot women. And Mrs. Wakeslayer fits right in with all the rest of the great lookin' wives and girl friends on this site.

Mike I have really got to hand it to you. The boat looks awesome. The carpet job looks great. It is so cool to be able to "ride along" with you guys on these projects. For you to take the extra time needed to post all the cool pictures as you went along for us to enjoy...well it is just neat. For a guy like me that would never attempt something like this it is so cool to be able to watch from start to finish. Many on here have said it better than I can but I gotta add my congrats on a job well done. The smile on your wife's face says it all!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 1:59am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

I am not sure of the reason why but...all of guys on here are very lucky...these boats seem to attract smokin' hot women. And Mrs. Wakeslayer fits right in with all the rest of the great lookin' wives and girl friends on this site.

john

Is a CC taste: "a great apreciation for the finest things in life"
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 3:50am
Hey Mike! Congratulations. That smile on Mrs Wake's face says it all. It's been pure motivation following your progress. Applause from deep Africa.
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 9:53am

I saw a post on Fiberglassics the other day where a guy said he came into 150 brand new windshields in the boxes that were for Custom Crafts. He's only looking to get $150. This might be worth checking out as some of them maybe the same one's Correct Craft use.

Bruce,
I have a feeling that these are the same ones that Michelle (sanity) ran into. If so, they have the Custom Craft side brackets and they don't look like Taylor Made.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 10:08am
when is the turn over the keys to the wife ceremony? once again i followed and you did a top notch job, and i know its tough jumping into this when youve never done this, like Doc said its not rocket science, if you dont try you will never know and thats gives you a tenedency to do twice the job the factory could do, once again, nice finish, you should be proud to show it off
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 1:41pm
Hey guys.

Thanks for all the compliments. You all helped me. Eric, you are right, don't know til you try it. I will turn over the keys after a water test in a few weeks. We are both coming to GL this summer. That will be her first road trip!
JBear, we are lucky men, indeed.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

72 ski antique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 ski antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 5:19pm
Mike,
#1. Outstanding job!
#2. This is the first forum I have gotten into and you have been inspriational to me to tackle the same task, with minimal fear. And yes, a couple beers.
#3. My appologies for jumping in a couple weeks back in creating noise on your forum.
Again, job well done.
Thank you
Ski Antique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 5:52pm
Randy.

thank you. Defintely doable, just have to give it horns (I love that expression, Donovan)

A couple things in retrospect. Had I known what I was in store for, I would have replaced the primaries also. Pete said this repeatedly. While I think they are fine and will go another 40 years, I had everything out, opened up, and exposed. This is the biggest thing I learned. I resisted because they were in good shape, and I did not know what the rest of the project was going to take, nor how long.
Also, get the icky work done in the fall when you can be outside. Foam and grinding glass would have been way easier outside. And way less contaminating to the shop and everything in it. My next one will go into the shop in the fall with no more grinding required. All cleaned out and ready to replace the stringers.
Make an extremely detailed list of EVERYTHING that needs to be done, check them off as you do them, and update the list frequently. This was really helpful. I also kept track of my hours and what I did during them. This way I will have a good idea of what to expect next time.
I am guessing that, and I really want opinions on this, I can fudge down 20% on time spent after having this experience behind me. I am right around 300 hours, meaning I think I could do the same job in 240 hours. I had read somewhere that 200-250 was average. That and 450 beers...

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 6:57pm
Mike,
Maybe a good idea to get that checklist and your "labor-diary" posted... Could be very useful for others who will have to tackle this job one day! (I'm pretty convinced I will have to do it somewhere in the future... It is a 2001 SN, you know...)
Maybe something for the reference section...?
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

72 ski antique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 ski antique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2009 at 9:45pm
I agree with Kristof! This forum has been like a shop manual to me. Anything more you are able to share is tremendously appreciated!
Hopefully, this forum stays on line for an extended period.
I know that the others watching, reading and providing feedback (like Pete) are tremendous help. This is cool stuff.
Best regards to all
Ski Antique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 10:23am
minimum start to finish turn key is always in the 200 hour mark, and guy's need to realize this if they price out having this done, 200 is on the light side but if your set up to do it it is a good mark. materials end up in the 900.00 to 1200.00 dollar range (approximately) it is very labor intensive and itchy. it is a good mark and could make or break a boat deal and may give you leverage when purchasing a soggy boat. I always say a wet boat is worth about 2k, depending on the outside cosmetics and running condition. anything pre 93 there is a good chance the boat is wet, more so than not. awareness is key and guy's buy these soggy boats all day long and pay top dollars for them, and little do they know
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 12:02pm
Mike,

Great job Man! And about a month before ice out, I would be going crazy to run that girl across the Lake Now!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2009 at 12:48pm
and little do they know.........   no kiddin.
I knew I had a soggy one last spring when it started to thaw. There was condensation at the floor line on the outside..     I just did not realize how soggy the foam would be. Pretty shocking. I bet the boat is 400lbs lighter now.

Quinner, I am going crazy.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 10:16am
I'll bet you'll keep the boat high and dry from now on, it really comes down to awareness, I ran that story a while back with some idiot that talked this woman right into a wet CC, he kept telling her no problem we'll just put a board right where the rot is, I kept telling the woman the boat is worth no more than 2k, if i recall correctly they ran that boat up to 5300.00...you really got to watch these pre 93 boats, there probably are more wet ones out there than dry ones
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 1:09pm
2k is just not realistic even for a wet 2001.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2009 at 2:09pm
Always high and dry on the lifts. I am getting a curtain made for the Mustang lift canopy this year, also. I have always had one on the Super Air.

The marina. Man, I cannot wait to see this again.

This is my Python's Garage.

6 weeks and counting....

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314 16>
  Share Topic